Purify's legal issues

Purify set to settle cases

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2007 - 04:34:17 pm CDT

It appears Nebraska standout wide receiver Maurice Purify’s two recent arrests will be resolved in court Wednesday in one fell swoop.

According to court records, Purify has made a plea arrangement that would essentially cover both cases.

Purify, regarded as the Huskers’ most potent weapon on offense, was arrested May 5 and charged with two counts of assault, trespassing, failure to comply and resisting arrest. The charges stemmed from an alleged altercation at a downtown bar. Nearly a month later, the 21-year-old was cited for driving while intoxicated.

Purify’s attorney, Jon Braaten of Lincoln, filed a motion Monday in Lancaster County Court that requests a plea arrangement for the DUI to take place in front of the same judge and at the same time that was set for Purify’s plea to charges relating to the tavern altercation.

The exact nature of Purify’s plea agreement won’t be known until Wednesday when he appears before a judge. Purify’s attorney has requested that sentencing for both cases also take place Wednesday.

The plea deal could be good news for Purify because it would mean his legal matters basically would move into the hands of Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan. He said last month he won’t make any permanent decisions regarding the status of the suspended receiver until the player’s legal issues were resolved in court.

A 6-foot-4, 225-pound native of Eureka, Calif., Purify became Nebraska’s go-to receiver a few games into last season and finished the year with 34 receptions for a team-best 630 yards and seven touchdowns. Among his 34 receptions, 29 were good for first downs, and 14 of his catches went for more than 20 yards.

Purify, who transferred to NU last year from San Francisco City College, hasn’t been allowed to work out with the team in this summer’s offseason program. The Huskers are set to begin preseason camp Aug. 6 and open the season Sept. 1 in Lincoln against Nevada.

i have seen alot of 1st offense DD charges plead down to reckless driving. but if one plea is going to cover both incidents then who knows what is going to happen.

hopefully with what ever suspension or punishment the Cally decides Mo will be able to start practicing with the team at the beginning of fall camp and not have to wait until the suspension is over. unless it is a season suspension, which i doubt it will be or it would have already happened

Going with my gut on this one, I'm thinking two game suspension max, but I wouldn't do a double-take if he gets the ultimatum "One glance in the wrong direction and you're out of here." I think the latter decision would a) be effective for Mo because it would relate the serious nature of his position and b.) it would appease the fan base to a certain degree. If he complies, we'll know he learned his lesson. If not, he'll likely have ruined his career. At first I was a bit hesitant to think that such a "light" sentence would be plausible, but given our schedule, the team's needs, Mo's unique talent and position in the game, and the overblown (in my opinion) nature of his first offenses, I don't see it as completely off the table yet.

We'll see what Cally does, but I don't think this is another Lawrence Philips situation. In the grand scheme of things I think if Mo can learn from this it would be better for him that he plays the game.

And USC must be razed to the ground. dedhoarse

I think barring what he gets from a plea, I think he misses no games with a Bobby Knightesque "zero tolerance" policy. Whether that is lax or warrented will be debated ad infinitum, but good on him that he did what he did a great while (relatively) before the season.

At first I was a bit hesitant to think that such a "light" sentence would be plausible, but given our schedule, the team's needs, Mo's unique talent and position in the game, and the overblown (in my opinion) nature of his first offenses, I don't see it as completely off the table yet.

He'll get what he'll get, but please let not his "unique talent" and "team needs" have any bearings on that decision.