MO P gets probation

Published Wednesday | July 18, 2007

NU football's Purify gets probation

LINCOLN - Maurice Purify said he hoped he could be afforded a second chance to do what he loves to do after the Nebraska football player reached resolution on his legal matters Wednesday.

Maurice PurifyPurify received 12 months probation and fines totaling $1,250 after pleading no contest to four charges stemming from two separate incidents. Two other charges were dismissed as part of a plea agreement reached before his appearance in Lancaster County Court.

During probation, Purify won't be allowed to enter a bar or any other business that primarily sells alcohol, and he'll have to attend drug and alcohol counseling.

And for 60 days, Purify will have to have a device attached to his car ignition that will make sure he is sober before he can start the car.

Purify was found guilty of driving while intoxicated, assault, disturbing the peace and hindering arrest. All those charges stem from two incidents earlier this year.

Purify was arrested May 5 and charged with two counts of assault, among other things, in connection with an altercation at a Lincoln bar. Last month he was cited on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

As part of the agreement with prosecutors, one of the assault charges and a charge of refusing to obey a police order were dropped. Also a trespassing charge was reduced to disturbing the peace.

Lincoln attorney Jon Braaten said he was satisfied with the outcome and called the punishments appropriate. Purify said he fully expects that it will result in him missing some football games next season.

Purify apologized in his statement to family, friends, teammates and head coach Bill Callahan.

World-Herald and Associated Press reports.

Why would he have to apologize to the guys involved in the fight? If you are talking about the guys that he was fighting against then there is no way I would apologize either. From people who were there I have heard that the guy who he got in a fight with said "so youre the n***er who fumbled the ball against Texas". Which one he wasnt even the one who fumbled against texas and two, who says that? I would have done the same thing at that time and probably be kicking myself in the ass just like he is.

Why would he have to apologize to the guys involved in the fight? If you are talking about the guys that he was fighting against then there is no way I would apologize either. From people who were there I have heard that the guy who he got in a fight with said "so youre the n***er who fumbled the ball against Texas". Which one he wasnt even the one who fumbled against texas and two, who says that? I would have done the same thing at that time and probably be kicking myself in the ass just like he is.

Oh boy....here we go again

I am kind of expecting 2 games. I really think that he probably deserves at least 4, but I am guessing 2 will be the punishment. 4 games is a significant enough chunk that it would possibly affect his status for the NFL draft.

It is during the non-conference schedule where dominant players usually pump up the stats a little bit before they hit the grind that is conference play. I understand it is a little different this year because of the very difficult non conference schedule though.