Lucky speaks

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/0...cb896371353.txt

Things were moving too fast for Nebraska I-back Marlon Lucky last season and into January and February.

“That was a horrible year,” he said Thursday. “All the stuff was just too fast for me. It had to slow down.”

The stuff to which he refers, he said, includes pressure from fans and high expectations. He was homesick. School was difficult. He lost his starting spot after five games. It was a lot to deal with, he said.

Lucky’s rough patch of life came to a head last February when he was found unconscious at his apartment in Lincoln and rushed to a Lincoln hospital. He was hospitalized for five days with an unspecified medical condition, but returned to the team in time for spring practice.

“I just got sick,” Lucky said Thursday in his first public comments since his hospitalization. “I realized that I have to grow up and be a man.”

Lucky feels he has reached a turning point in his life. To him, being a man entails “being more mature about everything and taking life serious.” A 21-year-old junior, he said he intends to be a role model for the younger players. He also plans to be more accessible to the media, which he regards as an indication of his maturity.

"I have to let people know who I am and what I'm here for," he said. "I want to make it to the next level."

Lucky’s new attitude has manifested itself in the classroom, as he made the Big 12 commissioner’s spring academic honor roll with a 3.0 grade-point average. A letter was sent to Lucky’s home in North Hollywood, Calif., documenting the achievement. Lucky’s uncle, Stanley Joseph, framed the letter. Lucky’s guardian, Wayne Padden was thrilled.

“It’s sitting right here in the living room,” Padden said from North Hollywood.

Perhaps Lucky’s recent rise in the classroom portends a bump in production on the field in 2007. He said he has “settled down” and began focusing on school and football. He finished last season with 728 yards on 141 carries. He also caught 32 passes for 383 yards.

Come Monday, Lucky will begin preseason drills atop Nebraska’s I-back depth chart.

“I feel great,” the 6-foot, 210-pound player said. “I just want to get to it. Get the season on. It’s going to be a fine season.”

Lucky hasn’t always been a good student in college. But friends and family say he’s much happier now than he was during most of his first two years at Nebraska. He laughs and smiles and jokes a lot more these days, they say.

“He’s just more mature now,” said Padden, who speaks via phone to Lucky at least once a week. “It’s very noticeable. You hear it in conversation and see it in things he’s doing in his life. He’s taking responsibility. You know, all those little things he’s supposed to do.”

Lucky has endured a rough ride in Lincoln. A ballyhooed five-star recruit coming out of North Hollywood High, he was immediately thrown into the fire in practice upon arrival at Nebraska, as coaches tried to acclimate him to big-time college football by running him against the first-team defense.

He encountered a difficult time adjusting to school, to being far away from home, to the Huskers’ complex West Coast offense. He especially had trouble with the “zone” running plays, said Brad Ratcliffe, his former high school coach.

Lucky has responded well to his setbacks, Ratcliffe said.

“You know something, I have a funny feeling he’s going to have an incredible year,” the coach said. “I say that because he’s finally happy at Nebraska. I have never heard him so happy. Going into his third year, he is finally happy. There is no other word for it.

“I mean, he laughs a lot more now than he used to. I think he was homesick a lot the first couple of years there. All he wanted to do was come back to Los Angeles. But I think he’s kind of found his niche there, finally. He’s found how to develop relationships. I know he loves the Nebraska fans. He’s always said that. (But) he’s always loved Los Angeles, too.”

However, Lucky chose to stay in Lincoln throughout the summer, mostly because he needed to accomplish some work toward his bachelor’s, he said.

Lucky suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee late in the spring game this past April, but needed just two to three weeks to fully recover. He trained hard this summer, he said.

“I’m trying to get smaller, so I can hit those corners,” he said.

He said he no longer feels the weight of fans’ high expectations. He was ranked in high school as the nation’s No. 2 running back by Rivals.com.

“To please the fans, I had to come out and just rip up the field,” he said. “I learned you can’t do that just coming into college football. The game is much faster. You have to come in and learn first.”

Now, however, “That’s way in the past,” he said.

I have been wondering why he was found like that for a while now and I am glad it was put to rest. I was afraid he had some sort of medical condition or something that he didn't want people to know about. However, I am just glad to see that he is comfortable @ NU. Lets see how this Dark Horse Canidate rides!!!! GBR! :bonez

I wonder if this will have anything to do with him staying on for a senior season..

Very glad to hear you're finding a home hear Marlon, we wouldn't want anything less than for you to be happy while being a Husker.

That's kind of presumptuous considering he hasn't played a snap in his junior year. At this point I don't see why he'd leave. It all teeters on this year.

JoePa at Penn State says he would go back to freshman not being able to play and having orientation and junior varsity teams again. i think this article would support that. also the possibility of having all five years to play and not just 4 years.

it takes a couple years to adjust to the college life and being away from home for EVERYONE, let alone a 5 star coming out of Hollywood. the ones who do it seamlessly are certainly the exception. (or have their houses paid for, yeah you, Bush)

once players 'get it' they can see things for what they are and really excel. this is where it sounds lucky is now. no more tenetiveness or second guessing. just play baby, just play.