WILL WE STILL SEE THE SHIFTING THIS YEAR?

Dude...I seriously found a Home made video tape of Monday's practice! If I can remember where I found it, I'll let you know! And I know its current cause Keller was QB wearing Green Jersey!

So because you saw a green jersey on a 'video tape,' it is Keller from Monday's practice?!? And of course, there was no time stamp on this 'video tape'.

Call me crazy, but if I 'found' something like this, I'd probably remember exactly where it came from, so I could see other future practices.

Sorry, dude...not buying it. Show me proof and I'll recant everything.

Dude...I seriously found a Home made video tape of Monday's practice! If I can remember where I found it, I'll let you know! And I know its current cause Keller was QB wearing Green Jersey!

So because you saw a green jersey on a 'video tape,' it is Keller from Monday's practice?!? And of course, there was no time stamp on this 'video tape'.

Call me crazy, but if I 'found' something like this, I'd probably remember exactly where it came from, so I could see other future practices.

Sorry, dude...not buying it. Show me proof and I'll recant everything.

Alright BUDDY! I found it. Here's the link to the website....click "Fall Camp: Day 1" on the right side of the screen in the Media section! It was a mix between Keller and Ganz! Lots of Shifts and Audibles!

Earlier in the season some announcers were saying that whenever Nebraska shifted it would probably be a run. Their logic was that the shifting was too confusing for our quarterback and receivers to handle the change in coverage, so the shifting was partly window dressing and partly an effort to get more blockers/less defenders on one side of the field.

While some of that may be true, just because we run after a shift doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. Merely recognizing a run doesn't necessarily give a defense the advantage. Along with that, as the season went on I remember hearing that comment less and less. I think the players got more comfortable with the schemes and started running some pass plays out of the shifts as well.

As long as the shifts aren't leading to silly penalties, I don't mind them. If I remember correctly, there was always a lot of motion on the first couple drives of the game. Those were the scripted plays and Nebraska usually did quite well on those drives. I don't see Callahan or Watson cutting back on those. Especially where Watson is a big fan of tight ends, and they're the ones usually in motion.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not too fond of all the pre snap shifting our team does and it just seams to confuse everyone but the opposing defense. I also noticed that when they shifted about 90% of the time they would run the football, I'm sure opposing coaches noticed this as well.

I was hoping that this would stop with the departure of Norvell or is it a BC thing. Please offer your thoughts or opinions.

I hope the defense thinks were going to run it everytime. Texas did, then oops, Swift caught a TD pass.

I just hope we can move the ball in the second half, not just the first. That's my big concern. Did we ever score a TD on our opening possesion in the third quarter last season? Will Callahan adjust to the defenses' adjustments? Or was there a lack of talent or experience on offense last year that caused the slow-down in the second half? Thoughts?

I just hope we can move the ball in the second half, not just the first. That's my big concern. Did we ever score a TD on our opening possesion in the third quarter last season? Will Callahan adjust to the defenses' adjustments? Or was there a lack of talent or experience on offense last year that caused the slow-down in the second half? Thoughts?

It seems that Callahan's mindset is to establish a lead early in the game and then play for ball control and offensive balance in the second half. His play-calling was pretty bread and butter in the 3rd quarter all last year, as I recall. He doesn't really come out and try to catch anybody sleeping, he just wants to start wearing out the opposing defense so that we can dominate the 4th quarter.

I'm not a coach, nor did I ever compete in football, though, so I don't know sh#t about this probably. I just like to get drunk and watch football.

trust me, the shifting does multiple things to confuse the defense, show what coverage the defense is in, gives the coaches in the press box a view of schemes, lets the quarterback see blitzes and time to audible, and generally sets up plays to be run later.

i will admit that adjustments need to be made on the second-half play calling. in the NFL they make such fewer mistakes and it's not based so much on momentum, that we really need Callahan to go for the jugular. i mean, if we can score 50, let's score 50.

trust me, the shifting does multiple things to confuse the defense, show what coverage the defense is in, gives the coaches in the press box a view of schemes, lets the quarterback see blitzes and time to audible, and generally sets up plays to be run later.

Damnit I was gonna say all that! There is a method to the maddness. Plus it allows you to shift players to the "weak side" of the defense (open end, weakside LB, Free safety ect.) and guys who may be faster but less physical, which is why you generally see more runs after a major shift.

Alright you guys convinced me! The shifting isn't that bad, but I just hate seeing the bonehead penalties that tend to stem from it. Hopefully it will become less frustrating to watch as players become more familiar and comfortable with it. I'm all for anything that helps the team.