Where is Grixby? What is he doing?

Aim9

If height is such a disadvantage, why is the average DB in the nfl right around 5'9''-5'10''? You dont see every college team with 6'2'' DB's. you dont see a whole lot of em in the nfl, either.

what part of this equation does everyone not understand? Look at grix's situation.

NO safety help. You have to run with these receivers EVERY down. And there were no reliable backups to give you a break. And in those games against Auburn, USC, OU, etc, was our offense moving the ball and giving the defense a breather? were we putting up points? no.

all this ties into it. look at the bigger picture here.

I agree with pigsonthewing.

Baron Miles was 5'8" and an awesome corner. Size is important, but not everything. Grixby got beat several times last year because he was matched up with the opponents' #1 receiver game in and game out. Why? Because he was the best corner that there was! If you get a chance to, watch some of last season's games again and really watch Grixby. He made some damn fine plays and played solid in run support defense. Jones got schooled last year way too much going against top receivers(see Sweed running past him for a TD and Jarrett making him look absolutely silly). With that said, I think Jones ends up having a fine season this year due to his trials and tribulations last year.

I think that stating Thenarse should have started based on his athletic ability is a misled statement. Yeah, Thenarse would have had it rough and improved, but how many close games would he have cost the teams? If you think Callahan's hide is on the line for going 9-5, what do you think a 7-6 or 6-6 season would have done? KU and A&M could have been different stories with just 2 misplays by an inexperienced corner.

I agree with pigsonthewing.

Baron Miles was 5'8" and an awesome corner. Size is important, but not everything. Grixby got beat several times last year because he was matched up with the opponents' #1 receiver game in and game out. Why? Because he was the best corner that there was! If you get a chance to, watch some of last season's games again and really watch Grixby. He made some damn fine plays and played solid in run support defense. Jones got schooled last year way too much going against top receivers(see Sweed running past him for a TD and Jarrett making him look absolutely silly). With that said, I think Jones ends up having a fine season this year due to his trials and tribulations last year.

I think that stating Thenarse should have started based on his athletic ability is a misled statement. Yeah, Thenarse would have had it rough and improved, but how many close games would he have cost the teams? If you think Callahan's hide is on the line for going 9-5, what do you think a 7-6 or 6-6 season would have done? KU and A&M could have been different stories with just 2 misplays by an inexperienced corner.

as you were typing this, i was lookin up barron miles Stats and receivers that he locked down. lol you da man! Guess how much Barron Miles weighed? 160. one-friggin-sixty. but the difference between Grixby and Miles? Miles had safeties and a couple of backups.

I understand your defenses of Grixby, but the fact of the matter is that he gets burned, badly and repeatedly, against every team that has a tall WR. Opposing teams are attacking Grixby all the time. They don't attack him because he is too awesome. There is a reason why teams attack people like Grix, but leave corners like Champ Bailey alone.

Reason it away anyway you want, but take a step back and ask yourself "Do you ever feel safe if Grixby is guarding a 6'4" WR?"

Anytime that matchup occurs there is a very solid chance that the opposition will break it open for a TD, whether they have 80 yards to go or 10 yards to go.

I hope he proves me wrong and, with some help at long last from his safeties, can be a shut down corner. You've gotta love the guy's competitive spirit. He's fast and he's in the right position usually, but his size limitation seems like too much to overcome.

Yes, pro DB's are often 5'10" - 6' but Grixby's listing at 5'9" is very generous. Once you start getting that short, every inch you lose hurts exponentially.

Did you actually listen to anything they have said...?

Yes and I tried to address it, essentially saying that in spite of his lack of safety help, he's still not very good.

Miles wasn't a GREAT corner either- he was pretty good.

Reason it away anyway you want, but take a step back and ask yourself "Do you ever feel safe if Grixby is guarding a 6'4" WR?"

At this point, I don't feel confident with either corner going up against a Sweed or Bowman 1 on 1 and dominating. I see your point, but I don't have that type of confidence with any corner on the roster(with the exception of maybe Bowman, if healthy). Grixby is the most experienced corner, so he had to be the guy. I think the added depth this year will improve their play.

Oklahoma was lining Malcolm Kelly up against Grixby. They WANTED that matchup.

I didn't mean to knock on Miles so much, but to just discount their size and say it doesn't matter is a bit shortsighted I think.

There is a reason pro teams are licking their chops to get a hand on Bowman.

Did you actually listen to anything they have said...?

Yes and I tried to address it, essentially saying that in spite of his lack of safety help, he's still not very good.

Miles wasn't a GREAT corner either- he was pretty good.

Not NFL I know...but I think this shows that a little guy can get it done:

Barron Miles' CFL Career Stats

That being said...You can be an athletic freak to make up for size differential, but when matched up on a taller receiver you have to time everything. You have to time your steps, you have to time your jump (to peak at the right time), etc. I've said it before, but I'll say it again...A 6'4" receiver doesn't have to time being tall.

And with THAT being said...Grix was still the best corner we had last year, and will start again this year. It's not his fault he had to worry about anyone at the saftey position.

I think they should have just let someone like Thenarse get burned for a few games, and then we'd have someone with experience AND the physical tools to play. We paid for that all year long last year and if he starts again the same things will happen.

Just because Grixby might be the best corner in game #1 doesn't mean he would be better than Thenarse after say, game #4. People can try to glaze it over all they want, but there is absolutely a reason why opposing teams target Grixby all day long. Because they know it works.

That plans sounds like a real confidence builder for younger players.