RB situation

Maybe I should just leave well enough alone..........but

Culbert is playing RB and wants to play S

Thenarse played corner last year, yet has been moved to safety and will likely be buried

Amukamara has great RB#'s from HS but is playing CB a position he has never played before

Doesnt it make more sense to...........

Let Culbert play S with Green, Asante, and Wilson

Leave Thenarse at CB cause a physical 6'2" kid would be great there and we have 3 seniors

Leave Prince at RB and get the f'ing ball in his hands cause his highlight tape is nuts

Castile and Mendoza each have thier own roll and IMO Prince would be a great addition. I think the RB situation rippled further than it needed to. Is there a depth issue, or a class position stagger (like 4 D-linemen in the same class) I am missing? All this just to get a 3rd team running back in place with some experience at the wrong position......seems excessive.Thoughts?

Thenarse played corner last year, yet has been moved to safety and will likely be buried

Amukamara has great RB#'s from HS but is playing CB a position he has never played before

Leave Thenarse at CB cause a physical 6'2" kid would be great there and we have 3 seniors

Leave Prince at RB and get the f'ing ball in his hands cause his highlight tape is nuts

Castile and Mendoza each have thier own roll and IMO Prince would be a great addition. I think the RB situation rippled further than it needed to. Is there a depth issue, or a class position stagger (like 4 D-linemen in the same class) I am missing? All this just to get a 3rd team running back in place with some experience at the wrong position......seems excessive.Thoughts?

I thought Culbert wanted to move to RB? I can't really argue with anything else, hopefully it will all play out in practice and everyone will be where it is most beneficial to the team.

I thought Culbert wanted to move to RB? I can't really argue with anything else, hopefully it will all play out in practice and everyone will be where it is most beneficial to the team.

Nope, LJS had an article today where he said he would rather play S, but will play whatever position will get him on the field.

Nope, LJS had an article today where he said he would rather play S, but will play whatever position will get him on the field.

My bad, I was thinking of Prince, I think. Didn't he have an article about wanting to go to offense? That's probably what I was thinking about.

Yes, Prince had an article stating he wanted to be in a position to get his hands on the ball.

To answer the original posters question: I believe that Culbert has previous RB experience (HS) which is why he is being utilized there. He's more of a stop gap and I see him being moved back to defense sometime the season. I think he gets moved as soon as one of the young backs proves they can fill his spot.

Prince is being kept at CB instead of RB, imo, because next year we definitely aren't going to need him there. We will have Gray / Okafor coming in, Castille / Mendoza / Helu having one year of experience under their belt. At that point our CB position will need his experience with Jones and Grixby graduating this year. This seems like a logical depth progression, to me, at least.

the simple fact is, lucky and glenn have been hurt. you can NEVER have enough good running backs.

plus, the coaches do think years down the road. a couple guys get hurt, one guy gets kicked off the team, couple guys transfer, one guy changes position. somebody redshirts, a great recruit comes along, two guys go pro.

any or all these factors play in when considering where coaches put players. plus they see needs and skills every single day in practice. some kids just arent' meant to play the position they 'want' to play.

I don't have a problem with moving guys around to fill the team's needs. I'm not so happy about Culbert being moved because I think he could be a stud safety for our team and he's got the most experience of the last year's freshman, but we needed another running back in spring practice.

However, I read on rivals that USC has 9 running backs. That's a foolish situation if you ask me. If there are talented players that will never see the field as running backs, give them a chance to play somewhere else. We'll need some athletic corners next year, so putting Amakamura there instead of burying him behind 3 or 4 guys isn't such a bad thing.

I don't have a problem with moving guys around to fill the team's needs. I'm not so happy about Culbert being moved because I think he could be a stud safety for our team and he's got the most experience of the last year's freshman, but we needed another running back in spring practice.

However, I read on rivals that USC has 9 running backs. That's a foolish situation if you ask me. If there are talented players that will never see the field as running backs, give them a chance to play somewhere else. We'll need some athletic corners next year, so putting Amakamura there instead of burying him behind 3 or 4 guys isn't such a bad thing.

Foolish? How about when we had 7 QB's on scholly a couple of years ago? At least there are times when 2 RB's are on the field at the same time. Personally, I think the secondary needs more help right now than the RB's. Look at some of the greats that have emerged in the past at RB (Ahman, Phillips, Calvin, etc.) when they were pretty young. I have faith that we have more than enough RB's. I say move Culbert back to where he really wants to be.

If Wilson was healthy and Glenn could stay healthy Culburt would still be on defense.

Prince said in his article he would rather play slot receiver not RB. He will get his hands on the ball one way or another.

Thenarse is going to play a crap load of minutes this year and will probably start for 2 years at Safety so that is not a bad move.

Foolish? How about when we had 7 QB's on scholly a couple of years ago?

If I'm not mistaken th eyear you are talking about is 04. Zack Miller and Garth Glissman were walk-ons and Stuntz moved to WR. So if you look at it that way we had 4 actual QB's on scholarship. <_<

Foolish? How about when we had 7 QB's on scholly a couple of years ago?

If I'm not mistaken th eyear you are talking about is 04. Zack Miller and Garth Glissman were walk-ons and Stuntz moved to WR. So if you look at it that way we had 4 actual QB's on scholarship. <_<

Jordan Adams

Joe Dailey

Beau Davis

Joe Ganz

Garth Glissman

Zach Miller

Mike Stuntz

Wow have we come a long ways.

I think what this thread proposes makes a lot of sense. The way I see it, Culbert is a safety. If he had experience as RB - well, so did Prince! What's the difference? Culbert is a veteran, but he's a veteran safety - move him back to where he belongs! Get Thenarse at CB, we need him on the field and we all know CBs will be a point of concern with three CBs graduating this year and one who will be a senior next year (Murillo, unless he has 3 years to play)

It is a good point about Prince maybe not being able to contribute at RB next year. If so, leave him at CB too (I mean, we really don't have enough of those). On the other hand, we do have Castille, Mendoza, and Helu...all frosh, yes, but none of them higher than 3rd string. If Castille shows signs...move Culbert back right away!

maybe culbert doesn't have the TRUE footwork to play DB? Prince even said the coaches told him CB the most athletic position on the field...and it is!!

the RB coach said he likes culbert's 'junk in the trunk'....how many corners do you know that are shaped 'squat-like' NONE!! if he was going to contribute the most and best @ DB then the coaches would have him there.

the truth is, non of our RB's have showed they can grind week in, week out in the Big XII. we need to find out who is going to be the MAN. even jackson was riding pine last year for awhile and STILL got hurt and he's in the pro's. i trust the coaches decision to put culbert @ RB and think all the freshman should redshirt. except Prince if he will star on special teams.