When will Nebraska Compete again for a NC?

NC  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe this year... but- a lot of "maybe"s have to fall into place. if Lucky and Glenn stay banged up, the young RB's have to mature quickly. Can Jones hold is own? Can Grix turn into Barron Miles?

Schedule is brutal, too.

I think we lose too much defensively next year, so '09 it is.

I generally like BC's play calling, but the second half scoring, especially in the 3rd qtr has GOT to improve. It seems he out-coaches himself. But the talent level is rising, and when that happens, oter good things happen.

I definitely believe we can compete this year. I don't think there is a team on our schedule we will roll over for. I love the new attitude and confidence this team is showing. We do have a great schedule. Even if we start the year at 18-22, we have the schedule that could move us up the polls quickly.

I fully believe this year can be special, and I also believe this year is just the beginning of us returning to our place among the elite teams!!!

Man I'm pumped!!!! GO Big Red!!!!

I doubt NU will ever compete for a national title under Callahan. His coaching is not at the level of coaches who lead their teams to national titles. He needs to work on his play calling and make it less conservative. Also he hasn't shown the ability to make adjustments at the half and thats why we sucked in the 2nd half last year. But if somehow Callahan figures out how to coach better then I think that we could have a shot in the next few years.

Please tell me you are kidding and forgot to insert the Sarcasm thingy.

Nebraska will never ever compete with Coach Callahan at the helm? Whatever dude...I beg to differ and so do a lot of others I'm thinking. Coach Callahan and his staff have shown more grit, determination, freakin emotion, knowledge, passion, hard work, dedication than I have seen in many years at Nebraska.

God what a Debbie Downer you are.... :angry:

I gotta agree with her on this one I mean come on man!!!! :o

I doubt NU will ever compete for a national title under Callahan. His coaching is not at the level of coaches who lead their teams to national titles. He needs to work on his play calling and make it less conservative. Also he hasn't shown the ability to make adjustments at the half and thats why we sucked in the 2nd half last year. But if somehow Callahan figures out how to coach better then I think that we could have a shot in the next few years.

Nebraska will never ever compete with Coach Callahan at the helm? Whatever dude...I beg to differ and so do a lot of others I'm thinking. Coach Callahan and his staff have shown more grit, determination, freakin emotion, knowledge, passion, hard work, dedication than I have seen in many years at Nebraska.

If you are referring to Nebraska fans, you are probably correct that most would beg to differ. If you are referring to those outside of Nebraska, I think you are probably wrong. I mean he did end of on the honorable mention worst coach list by I believe it was Mandel. The staff shows grit, determination, etc.? Would that be Blake, Norvell, etc.? The staff is continually revolving because we seem to have several who want to go elsewhere. Now, there's dedication for you.

I don't know whether or not BC will win a NC here. He seems to put the pieces together to make a run, but so are other teams. To win a NC, there is a fair amount of luck that comes into play. Go ask Bob Stoops. He's put together a string of great recruiting classes only to have coaches leave and players take things from boosters that they shouldn't have. Back in the mid-90's, Nebraska was basically a one team conference. The Big 8 wasn't nearly as competitive as the Big 12 of today. The Big 12 back then wasn't as competitive as the Big 12 of today. For a team to escape the Big 12 without a blemish on it's record even though the conference as a whole is not as good as a few years ago is quite a feat. Now that the Pac 10 has become more competitive, USC is going to find it a lot more difficult to make it to the NC game as well. IMO, it will be at least 3 years before we have a legitimate shot at winning the whole bag of marbles.

I have stated since day one it will take 5 to 6 years to really see what BC is capable of. Too early to demand or expect anything.

This year could be a NC team, I doubt next year will be. 2009 fits the 6 year deal, but we will not see consistancy until BC is able to put Junior and Senior QB's in that have been developed in the system. That takes time. Some of the building blocks he was counting on have left or never arrived. Blaine and Witt are the ones he will be counting on now.

Second half adjustments are hard to do with dead tired players. No rotation for rest and an offense that did not consistanly obtain ball control.

You can only do so much with what you have. It takes time to restock the shelves.. As I have said since the day he arrived this will take patience on our part. We are getting close, but just not there yet.

If you are referring to Nebraska fans, you are probably correct that most would beg to differ. If you are referring to those outside of Nebraska, I think you are probably wrong. I mean he did end of on the honorable mention worst coach list by I believe it was Mandel. The staff shows grit, determination, etc.? Would that be Blake, Norvell, etc.? The staff is continually revolving because we seem to have several who want to go elsewhere. Now, there's dedication for you.

I don't know whether or not BC will win a NC here. He seems to put the pieces together to make a run, but so are other teams. To win a NC, there is a fair amount of luck that comes into play. Go ask Bob Stoops. He's put together a string of great recruiting classes only to have coaches leave and players take things from boosters that they shouldn't have. Back in the mid-90's, Nebraska was basically a one team conference. The Big 8 wasn't nearly as competitive as the Big 12 of today. The Big 12 back then wasn't as competitive as the Big 12 of today. For a team to escape the Big 12 without a blemish on it's record even though the conference as a whole is not as good as a few years ago is quite a feat. Now that the Pac 10 has become more competitive, USC is going to find it a lot more difficult to make it to the NC game as well. IMO, it will be at least 3 years before we have a legitimate shot at winning the whole bag of marbles.

Check your history books man, wasn't CU in the top five when we beat them in '95 and '96? Kstate was also starting to get up there if I remember correctly. Texas wasn't too bad in '96 and '97 either. I think saying Nebraska was a "one team conference" is dead wrong. Were we the best in the conference? Absolutely, but we were also the best in the nation...

OK I have more info now. According to Huskerpedia, CU was #2 when we beat them in '94. We were #3.

In '95 Kstate was 8, and CU was 7. KU was 10.

In '97 Tamu was 14 and Kstate was 17 when we beat them.

I don't really even know what the point of your initial comment was, but I think the Big 8/Big 12 was competitive back then, and you talking about the Big 12 of today sounds like the talking heads speaking of the SEC.

My point was that most teams with a legitimate shot back then only had one or two games to worry about on their schedule. Yes, in 1994 if NU got past CU we were pretty much a lock on playing for a NC. Just like in 89 and 90. If CU beat just one team on their schedule (NU) they would be playing for it all. Top to bottom, the conference is stronger now than the old Big 8 and when the Big 12 was first formed. Also, teams are playing a lot tougher teams in the nonconference now than back then. NU just like KSU used to schedule D2 teams and a bunch of patsies. Now, teams schedule a lot tougher nonconference. NU is playing USC. OU is playing Miami. Texas the past couple of years has played Ohio State.

Prior to a couple of years ago, the toughest nonconference team NU ever scheduled was Washington. We lost. We went several years before we scheduled anyone tough again outside of the conference. Now, a lot of teams NU included play a lot tougher teams in the nonconference. Take Texas for instance in the 05 season. They were really close to losing to Ohio State. If they drop that game, no NC for Mack. There's a lot more "luck" involved in winning the NC than there used to be. The original point is how many years before NU or BC wins their next NC. The stars almost have to align for any team to win it. We can't just take a third string QB like the Turmanator and go out and beat a ranked team like KState anymore. Due to the BCS system and the computer model with strength of schedule, we see things we didn't see 10 years ago. This is one reason AD's are willing to schedule tougher games because they know if they don't then there's no chance of playing for a title.

For BC and NU to win a NC, there will have to be some luck. Look at the 1997 team. There was a lot of luck if you look at that season. We had the catch just to win a game. Then we had to wait for the voters to see whether we even got a share or not. Last year, there was some luck or Florida wouldn't have even been playing for the title. Any time a team makes it to the NC game with a loss, there was some luck involved.

I agree with skers. BC's more than likely going to have to have a QB that's been in his system for a couple of years before we make a title run. One thing most NC teams have is a mature QB that has been in the system for a couple of years or more.

No kidding huskerdude, how dare you bring those facts to the table. Now in order to cheer ourselves up after you brought us down, let's all sing a song together!

Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,

Everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together,

Brighter than a lucky penny,

When you're near the rain cloud disappears, dear,

And I feel so fine just to know that you are mine.

My life is sunshine, lollipops and rainbows,

That's how this refrain goes, so come on, join in everybody!

Everything that's wonderful is sure to come your way

When you're in love to stay.

'Cause you're in love, you're in love,

And love is here to stay!

I voted for 2010, as stated above by someone until BC develops some QB's in the system this 1 and 2 years and your out I can't see us competing at the NC level.

There is no question the talent being brought in is up to the NC level, but now that we have the talent the coaching needs to rise to the occassion also.

No kidding huskerdude, how dare you bring those facts to the table. Now in order to cheer ourselves up after you brought us down, let's all sing a song together!

:wtf

Gimme a break!!!!!! :blink: