Great read for Husker Fans

I can't stand the guy but this is a great read.

Big 12 Football Preview: Callahan still must mold talent into titles

BY LEE BARFKNECHT

WORLD-HERALD STAF WRITER

Hey, Nebraska football watchers, have you gulped a little too much red Kool-Aid this month? Worried about sugar-shock from all the frosting-covered quotes coming out of the closed practices at Memorial Stadium?

Then welcome to the "Big Red Reality Check" hotline.

This is a chance to cleanse your palate before the first game with a straight shot or two of Nebraska football facts and figures. So let's get right to your questions:

Q. Isn't Husker recruiting the greatest? We've got some 10-stars and 28-stars and 54-stars and maybe even a couple of 100-star players coming in. Isn't it great? Did I mention the current coaches are the greatest ever at recruiting?

A. In four years, according to the NU media guide, coach Bill Callahan has signed 93 scholarship players.

This season, 32 percent of Callahan's projected starters are Frank Solich recruits.

Yes, the general talent level has improved under Callahan. Up to now, though, those "stars" haven't contributed as quickly or as regularly as in other big-time programs. Scrutiny of NU's over-hyped recruiting and over-complicated systems will dog this staff until there is a breakthrough season.

Q. Husker Athletic Director Steve Pederson just got a five-year contract extension. Don't we need to lock up Callahan with a long-term deal to keep him from leaving?

A. Let's check the balance sheet before cutting a big deal.

Callahan is 19-15 against Division I-A opponents. He is 0-6 against teams ranked higher than 20th. He has no Bowl Championship Series bids and no conference championships. And he is coaching at a time when the Big 12 North Division is at its nadir, with the North going 15-42 against the South the past three seasons.

NU also suffered its most-lopsided loss in history under Callahan and saw its NCAA-record streak of consecutive bowl seasons snapped at 35.

We've never talked to anyone leading a coaching search who would be excited by those results, especially at a program of this caliber.

Q. Nebraska went undefeated against teams in the Big 12 North Division last season. That's a sure sign of progress, isn't it?

A. Sure. Maybe the Huskers can hold a joint celebration with Baylor, which also was undefeated against the North last season.

Q. This Sam Keller fella, is he the real deal at quarterback?

A. He's an intriguing mix of physical skill and cocksureness. In his first four games of 2005 at Arizona State, he threw for 16 touchdowns with two interceptions, and had a couple of 400-yard games.

Also note that Keller's all-time record as a starting quarterback is 4-4 in a program that last year fired its coach and has been to one major bowl game in 20 seasons.

Clearly, much has occurred since spring practice. But at the end of spring drills, three "men of football" we trust and who attended all spring scrimmages were asked independently which quarterback impressed them the most. All three said freshman Patrick Witt.

Q. At what positions will Nebraska be equal to or better than last season?

A. We posed this question to a handful of former players who are more interested in football than grinding axes. The consensus:

Quarterback: Maybe. Keller could be Callahan's first real difference-maker at the position. But remember that Zac Taylor was the Big 12 offensive player of the year.

Running back: No. Fullback is a mystery and Brandon Jackson is a major loss at I-back, especially with Marlon Lucky still unproven and Cody Glenn hobbled.

Offensive line: Not necessarily. Just because this group is older doesn't mean it's better. The sack total the past two years (68) is mind-boggling.

Receivers: Probably, provided Maurice Purify shows his off-the-field woes won't drag him down on the field.

Defensive front: No, though there is mouth-watering young talent.

Linebackers: Yes, though Stewart Bradley will be a bigger loss than many think.

Secondary: Maybe, but it's no guarantee unless Zack Bowman can play a lot and at close to 100 percent.

Special teams: Yes, but the only way to go is up (punt return 69th nationally; kickoff return 112th; kickoff coverage second-to-last in Big 12; no field goals longer than 40 yards).

So that's two votes yes, two no, two maybe, a probably and a not necessarily. Add it up and it points to another 8-4 or 9-3 type of regular season.

Nebraska at a glance

• Coach: Bill Callahan, fourth year, 22-15.

• Best player: Curious, isn't it, that four years into this you have to stop and think about this category. We'll go with guard Matt Slauson, a preseason All-Big 12 pick.

• Best newcomer: Place-kicker Adi Kunalic. This Texas thunderfoot is a welcome addition after a season of field-goal struggles and with kickoffs now from the 30-yard line.

• Good news: The development of quarterback Sam Keller. With the schedule NU has, there was a desperate need this season for veteran leadership on the offense. If Keller lives up to half the hype, he'll be a hero to Husker fans. Live up to most of it and he can move into the governor's mansion.

• Bad news: There isn't a lot. Just nagging questions about how Keller will adjust, about cornerback Zack Bowman's knee, about the defensive front, about the need to show off with trick plays and about being too stubborn to simplify and execute.

• Key game: Oct. 6 at Missouri. Win this one and the Huskers could be home free in the North by simply avoiding any upsets.

Link

I guess it was a good read, but I guess I found myself in shock and awe over the 3 year performance of the Big 12 North vs. the South. I knew the North had been sucking hind tit. However, not in my wildest dreams did I think it was quite this bad. I think the North will be a little bit better than last year mostly because I think KSU and CU will be better, but we're still not even close to the South yet. Isn't it funny how the tides change. When the Big 12 was formed, the North was by far dominant. Then, OU hired Stoops and Texas hired Mack.

Sometimes I don't know what I'm more sick of. USC praise, or Callahan bashing? You know why? Because they're both so damn easy.

It doesn't take any real thought to reach down into a statistical bag of bullsh#t related to a team which is rebuilding from days of decadent nothingness. Every time I read some nonsense like this I just want to put my head through a wall. For you people who still have some flagging question about the recruiting, let me spell something out for you.

You cannot expect to win championships until you build DEPTH

Callahan has THREE SEASONS to effectivley transition a run-attack to a balanced attack using square pegs for round holes, and yet is STILL managing to pull in 5 stars from all over. And never mind that we've beat several top 25 teams whose only reason for not remaining in the top 25 is the fact that we beat them. And never mind that we were within a touchdown for a combined win over Texas and Auburn. Oh, and forget that Michigan win, too. We didn't exactly get slaughtered by the Condoms, either––a miracle with our corners.

Forget the fact that we've yet to have a truly phenomenal quarterback who can throw the deep ball and scramble a little bit. Forget that even in spite of some rocky times these last few years the support base has still produced massivly updated facilities that are practically the 8th wonder of the football world, added to the stadium, maintained our sellout record, turned out huge spring game/Fan Day numbers season after season, and are holding coaches clinics where some of the biggest names around are hanging out.

Good Ghandi. I cannot wait for this so-called "signature win" to occur. Then maybe you people can shut the hell up.

For not the final time:

:bonez USC must be razed to the ground. :bonez

Sometimes I don't know what I'm more sick of. USC praise, or Callahan bashing? You know why? Because they're both so damn easy.

It doesn't take any real thought to reach down into a statistical bag of bullsh#t related to a team which is rebuilding from days of decadent nothingness. Every time I read some nonsense like this I just want to put my head through a wall. For you people who still have some flagging question about the recruiting, let me spell something out for you.

Callahan has THREE SEASONS to effectivley transition a run-attack to a balanced attack using square pegs for round holes, and yet is STILL managing to pull in 5 stars from all over. And never mind that we've beat several top 25 teams whose only reason for not remaining in the top 25 is the fact that we beat them. And never mind that we were within a touchdown for a combined win over Texas and Auburn. Oh, and forget that Michigan win, too. We didn't exactly get slaughtered by the Condoms, either––a miracle with our corners.

Forget the fact that we've yet to have a truly phenomenal quarterback who can throw the deep ball and scramble a little bit. Forget that even in spite of some rocky times these last few years the support base has still produced massivly updated facilities that are practically the 8th wonder of the football world, added to the stadium, maintained our sellout record, turned out huge spring game/Fan Day numbers season after season, and are holding coaches clinics where some of the biggest names around are hanging out.

Good Ghandi. I cannot wait for this so-called "signature win" to occur. Then maybe you people can shut the hell up.

For not the final time:

:clap:clap:clap:clap

Totally agree!

Great post!

well, it was a pretty negative read, with some eye brow raising stats.

not a lot of good news, but remember, cally really should have 2-3 more years to put this thing together, if we are still going 9-3 or 9-4 at that time, yeah, may be time to show him the door, but i really don't think that will be the case. 6 years to totally rebuild a team and a new O concept plus establish some depth is not unreasonable. patience.

For not the final time:

Hell yeah!

well, it was a pretty negative read, with some eye brow raising stats.

not a lot of good news, but remember, cally really should have 2-3 more years to put this thing together, if we are still going 9-3 or 9-4 at that time, yeah, may be time to show him the door, but i really don't think that will be the case. 6 years to totally rebuild a team and a new O concept plus establish some depth is not unreasonable. patience.

Six years? There have been many who have done it in less time, with much less.

It's not like he took over Baylor.

It doesn't take any real thought to reach down into a statistical bag of bullsh#t related to a team which is rebuilding from days of decadent nothingness.

Like I said, it's not like we were freaking Baylor. 10-3 and a top 15 final ranking isn't "nothingness."

Callahan has THREE SEASONS to effectivley transition a run-attack to a balanced attack using square pegs

Yadda, yadda. We tried throwing the ball all over the place in year 1 with a qb who couldn't, and a team that was built to run. Now we are trying to run with guys who are built to pass. That's on the coaches.

Forget that even in spite of some rocky times these last few years the support base has still produced massivly updated facilities that are practically the 8th wonder of the football world,

There is a reason that they are still not paid for.

It doesn't take any real thought to reach down into a statistical bag of bullsh#t related to a team which is rebuilding from days of decadent nothingness.

Like I said, it's not like we were freaking Baylor. 10-3 and a top 15 final ranking isn't "nothingness."

Callahan has THREE SEASONS to effectivley transition a run-attack to a balanced attack using square pegs

Yadda, yadda. We tried throwing the ball all over the place in year 1 with a qb who couldn't, and a team that was built to run. Now we are trying to run with guys who are built to pass. That's on the coaches.

Forget that even in spite of some rocky times these last few years the support base has still produced massivly updated facilities that are practically the 8th wonder of the football world,

There is a reason that they are still not paid for.

:nanalama:nanalama:nanalama

2 things i'll agree with that article

1. that our 'stars' aren't performing as great, as fast as some at other programs.

2. that callahan's system might out complicate itself sometimes, especially if we expect kids to play early.

however, each of these can be remedied because the 5*'s won't have to do everything and the more depth we build will give youngsters time to learn the complicated system.

maybe he didn't inheirit Baylor, but we have seen a paradigm shift of a program like few in the country.

My dad was great friends with a lot of the people who were in the 'old regime'. they told him Osborne knew of the difficulties that lay ahead in the Big XII and that there was some writing on the wall about what kind of success he could have with recruiting challenges and expectations, after 3 NC's in 4 years. he didn't leave an empty nest to Solich, but he left one that was in need of a makeover.

Solich failed in that makeover. Callahan is having some successes and most of us feel is headed in the right direction. yeah, stats don't lie, but they don't tell a human side of the story either.

Nebraska will never fall out of the football elite. But sometimes, changes must be made that take a little time to ensure future success.