Mike Gundy lectures a news paper columnist

DaveH

I applaud Gundy for standing up for his players. After reading the article she deserved it. I wonder if she began to cry while getting her a$$ chewed.

Another problem I have here is ... and I am not trying to be sexist, but am making the assumption that because she is a female, she has never played football... is this piece

"Then, there have been the injuries. No doubt some of Reid's ailments have been severe, including an injured shoulder that required surgery and forced him to redshirt. Other times, though, Reid has been nicked in games and sat it out instead of gutting it out.

Injuries are tricky, of course. You don't want a guy to put himself in harm's way if he's really hurt, and yet, football is one of those sports in which everyone plays hurt. Aches and pains, bumps and bruises are part of the gig.

"

How does she know what the aches, pains, bumps and bruises feel like. Anyway, that is another story...Good for Mike. Sounds like he is trying to make his players better PEOPLE.

Wow!!!! Great job by Gundy. I wish our head coach had 10% of the fire and intensity of Gundy!!!

I think Callahan does, but he hasn't had to call out anyone yet. I think he'd have to be pretty pissed to do something like that though. He seems like an intense guy and from everything I have heard, he is. Just doesn't show it to the public very often.

Probably with good reasons. He'd probably get is head taken off.

Okay, I'm a Sooner fan here in Oklahoma and I do know the background of this situation.

First, though, I want to say that as a Sooner fan I've always respected Nebraska and your program. I know some of the seasons haven't gone as well as you'd like lately, but don't worry we were in the same slump in the nineties and came back. You have great tradition and will get back on top soon enough.

Now, about this rant of Gundy's:

It's really a dishonest sort of thing by him on several levels. First, sports radio down here as well as the football forums have been abuzz for MONTHS about this situation when it comes to the Cowpokes. So it's not like the column exactly had any new info, this stuff had been rumored and gossiped about by OSU fans themselves for weeks. And the word was that Gundy's own coaching staff was leaking some of this material to the media.

Second, this was about much, much more than Gundy "standing up" for one of his players. Give me a break! To believe that you'd have to believe that this was the first time in the history of Oklahoma journalism that a sports writer down here wrote something mean about a college football player. Please. No, it's more about frustration that OSU, despite sugar daddy Boone Pickens new stadium and all that jazz, just can't seem to coach up to its talent. Except for my time in the service, I've lived in Oklahoma all my life. There has not been a year go by that the Cowpokes weren't going to show us Sooners how it was done this time. And when they haven't, it's always somehow been everyone else's fault, not the Cowpoke's themselves. What Gundy was doing, IMHO, was "changing the subject": by going off on that reporter it made him the story, instead of the woeful state of Cowpoke football.

Third, I'm given to understand that Nebraska fans don't have much use for Colorado. Trust me, however bad Colorado fans and program are OSU fans are much worse. When they beat us, which they sometimes do, you've never heard so much arrogance and smack talk. When they lose, which they usually do, it's never that they got outplayed, it's that they got bad calls, the media was against them, it wasn't fair, blah, blah, blah. They also have no class. After the Oregon debacle when just about everyone in the country admitted OU got not one but two bad calls, I attended a charity event. A bunch of OSU fans showed up wearing Oregon ducks hats and turned it into a "hah! hah!" sort of thing. This is par for the course by Cowpoke fans.

Finally, I know that Coach Stoops has expressed some sympathy for Gundy's position, and a lot of Cowpokes are saying "your own coach backs our guy!!!" Well, fine. I'm not defending the column, anyway, and I think Coach Stoops, who I respect quite a bit, is wrong on this one. But what I am saying is that Gundy's rant, in context, was way off base. The situation the reporter wrote about that "set him off" was, by and large, a situation of Gundy's OWN making, and that of his coaching staff. It's not as simple as a coach "standing up" for one of his players.

Thank you for letting me have my say, and good luck to your team in the future (except when you're playing OU :) )

I bet if Cosgrove went off on our media (assuming it's anywhere similar to our bashing of our players on this board)...(I know..Glass Houses), The players would rally around him and maybe even start making stops..

Could save our season and maybe a few jobs.

spart-S23GUNDY6C_09-23-2007_Q94OCMT.jpg

OSU football coach Mike Gundy shows his support for quarterback Bobby Reid in a passionate press conference.

Jenni Carlson's blog

OSU coach Mike Gundy didn't talk to the media about his team's 49-45 victory. By NATE BILLINGS, THE OKLAHOMAN

Following his team's biggest win of the season, OSU coach Mike Gundy calmly walked into his postgame press conference and announced that he wouldn't be addressing anything football related.

Instead, Gundy began a passionate three-minute, 38-second tirade expressing his displeasure at a Jenni Carlson column about former starting quarterback Bobby Reid that ran in Saturday's edition of The Oklahoman.

"If anybody hasn't read this article,” Gundy began as he held up a copy of the sports page of The Oklahoman, "I think this is worth reading. Three-fourths of this is inaccurate. It's fiction. And this article embarrasses me to be involved with athletics.”

Gundy's voice then began to rise as he defended his player.

"That article had to have been written by a person that doesn't have a child,” Gundy continued. "And has never had a child that has had their heart broken and come home upset and had to deal with a child when he is upset. And kick a person when he's down.

"Here's all that kid did. He goes to class. He's respectful to the media. He's respectful to the public and he's a good kid. And he's not a professional athlete, and he doesn't deserve to be kicked when he's down.”

Gundy left the press conference room immediately after his tirade and didn't field any questions.

Mike Sherman, sports editor of The Oklahoman, said the newspaper stands behind the column and Carlson.