Is it just me...

Foppa

...or does the HuskerBoard population go up 3,000% percent when NU football starts struggling? I'm not trying to dog on any newcomers, because it is great to have Husker fans with an opinion on here, but wow...the influx seems really large right now...

Is it because people just decide they need an outlet to vent when they're pissed, but don't when the Big Red Machine is rolling?

I am a Psych grad, and so I naturally start evaluating things like this. I am not an original member to HuskerBoard by far, so I guess this question is geared more towards the long-toothed Mods and members who have been around since the beginning. Does this seem typical? And if you agree, on average do these fans become members who offer imput at all times, or just during dispair? Just curious.

Fops

People love to talk about controversy. I will admit I pretty much only come out of the woodwork when there is controversy. But ya know... that's what it's all about isn't it? Message boards are for discussing things, and when there are as many hot-button issues as there are right now.. people want an outlet to voice their opinions.

I mean when anything big happens, message boards.. radio shows, newspapers, etc.. any outlets for opinions get flooded. Whether it be a big upset, or our defense getting lit up by a middle-tier MAC team.. people want to talk about it.

It's normal.

Negativity comes out of the woodwork. It really doesnt bother me. Its the absolute doom and gloom posters that get on my nerves.

They are so quick to point out that they had been saying that we were terrible long before anyone else.

We are not terrible. Not great either.

Its ok to vent here. I do it all the time.

Just a fine line between venting and telling folks I told you so which is very juvenile

...or does the HuskerBoard population go up 3,000% percent when NU football starts struggling? I'm not trying to dog on any newcomers, because it is great to have Husker fans with an opinion on here, but wow...the influx seems really large right now...

Is it because people just decide they need an outlet to vent when they're pissed, but don't when the Big Red Machine is rolling?

I am a Psych grad, and so I naturally start evaluating things like this. I am not an original member to HuskerBoard by far, so I guess this question is geared more towards the long-toothed Mods and members who have been around since the beginning. Does this seem typical? And if you agree, on average do these fans become members who offer imput at all times, or just during dispair? Just curious.

Fops

I think that, coincidentally, the start of the football season coincided with the beginning of the struggles. I also think that the discussion is a lot more interesting when things aren't going so well. I mean, yeah, doing well is great, but everyone getting together and saying "Woo hoo" gets kind of dull after a while. Also, I noticed that after last saturday, besides the "told you so" threads, the discussion was all fairly one-sided and, again, not too exciting ;)

I said it before, but I was a fan for as long as I've liked *watching* football (I mean, I always like NU but was never a big watcher of football until after high school), but when things started going poorly, that's when I really started getting into it. It's more fun for me to try to see if I can see what the problems are than just to sit there and say "yeah, we rock." It's cool to rock, but rolling everyone up during the season kind of makes the season boring :) Safe, but boring.

Anyway... I have to go.

Are you a grad student?

It's you.

I expected no less from you. Thanks. This wasn't directed towards you since you've barely been on here a year, but the inept, non-directional, predictable negativity has been noted.

What in the sam hill was negative about that? And no tongue lashing for the guy who posted two posts before me who joined in July '06 and said the exact same thing? If you'd pull the stick out of your arse you may just realize it was a joke. Nevertheless, I probably could've contributed some insight as while I may be new to this site, I'm not new to the internet. I'm glad I didn't waste my time with it. Sorry that I interrupted your highly scientific study here. Carry on.

Fops

I think that, coincidentally, the start of the football season coincided with the beginning of the struggles. I also think that the discussion is a lot more interesting when things aren't going so well. I mean, yeah, doing well is great, but everyone getting together and saying "Woo hoo" gets kind of dull after a while. Also, I noticed that after last saturday, besides the "told you so" threads, the discussion was all fairly one-sided and, again, not too exciting ;)

I said it before, but I was a fan for as long as I've liked *watching* football (I mean, I always like NU but was never a big watcher of football until after high school), but when things started going poorly, that's when I really started getting into it. It's more fun for me to try to see if I can see what the problems are than just to sit there and say "yeah, we rock." It's cool to rock, but rolling everyone up during the season kind of makes the season boring :) Safe, but boring.

Anyway... I have to go.

Are you a grad student?

Interesting thought, but I have to agree that it is the start of the football season also. Plus in the nature of websites, sometimes when a website reaches a certain point of popularity, it literally snow balls.

It's only natural for it to go up. Things haven't been rolling for about 7 years now but my guess is when things are really rolling it spikes also. Not to this degree I am sure. But we haven't been this awful and embarrassing in a long time. (ever!)

There isn't much to talk about when you are just coasting by. Really good teams hear some chatter and really bad teams (defense and coaching) you hear screams.