"Great" Offense

cmb23

After reading so many posts about how 'great' the offense is playing I had to do a quick search. Don't get me wrong, they are the only reason we have been able to stay in games and there is obvious progress being made. Keller is looking better and better, while the O-Line and the running game haven't really had much of an impact since game 1.

I hope that they keep progressing, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Here are the scoring and total national rankings of the less-than-stellar defenses our 'great' offense has lit up. Not exactly beating up on LSU here.

NEVADA: Scoring - 100th / Total - 84th

WAKE FOREST: Scoring - 49th / Total - 51st

USC : Scoring - 27th / Total - 25th

BALL STATE: Scoring - 64th / Total - 86th

AVERAGE: Scoring - 60th / Total - 61st

Just something to chew on....

I think the point is that the offense has, for the most part, held up it's end of the bargain in the first 3 games. It's the reason we actually got a W last Saturday.

I know...

Don't get me wrong, they are the only reason we have been able to stay in games and there is obvious progress being made.

The offense is doing well, not great. The running game has just been alright and will hopefully pickup if the O-Line plays better. It's early in the season and I think the O-Line will improve as the season goes along, which will bring the running game with it.

Actually, the passing game has been excellent, but our rushing game has been less than acceptable. Excellent pass protection from our O-Line, but horrible run blocking.

Regardless, they are improved and are doing well. They are a bright spot, and a definite sign of progress for this team.

Well, except for only putting up 20 on Wake and only 10 when the USC game mattered. Oh, and having 4 drives of 4 and out in the first 7 against Ball St and going 13+ minutes without an offensive point to fall behind by 9.

Yes other than that and our running game we are doing well.

And Bo Ruud won the game for us. BALL ST NEVER PUNTED IN THE SECOND HALF so they probably would have scored if Ruud didn't intercept it or at least they would have run too much time off the clock for us to score twice on offense. THAT SAVED US THE GAME! Not our offense. We couldn't keep up with their offense. The outscored us 34-40 on offense.

The offense is doing well, not great. The running game has just been alright and will hopefully pickup if the O-Line plays better. It's early in the season and I think the O-Line will improve as the season goes along, which will bring the running game with it.

Actually, the passing game has been excellent, but our rushing game has been less than acceptable. Excellent pass protection from our O-Line, but horrible run blocking.

Regardless, they are improved and are doing well. They are a bright spot, and a definite sign of progress for this team.

I don't think I'd go so far as to say horrible run blocking, just inconsistent. At times they execute properly and get the job done. Then on the next play you'll see the blocking just break down completely. If they can execute consistently with the run blocking, we won't have any real problems on offense.

At his press conference today Coach Callahan was commenting how Nebraska is 14th in the nation in total offense and Coach said that's pretty good but there is room for improvement. Then he said the same person pointed out that Nebraska is FIFTH in total offense in the Big XII. Coach Callahan said that shows the ability of offensive football is pretty strong in the Big XII.

He said the obvious goal is to go out to score points and he doesn't have a predetermined amount of running or passing plays required to do that. They just go out and do whatever is necessary to move the ball and put the points on the board.

Top 10 passing teams in order: NEBRASKA ranks 12th

1. Texas Tech

2. Hawaii

3. Louisville

4. Tulsa

5. North Texas

6. Brigham Young

7. New Mexico State

8. Bowling Green

9. Missouri

10. Boston College

Avg per rush: Marlon Lucky ranks 101!

Top overall defenses against the rush: We rank 97th (Nevada ranks 118 second to last BTW)

LSU 26yds per

Oregon State 29 yds per

Boston College 41 yds per

Oklahoma 44yds per

Florida 54yds per

Penn State 54yds per

Ohio State 57yds per

USC 64yds per

So do you notice a trend???? Great passing offense = mediocre team

Great rushing defense = BCS contender

We are over inflating our offensive production anyway

Sacks are subtracted from the rushing yards. It's a stat that is smoke in mirrors. Very deceptive.

Well you are wrong about it being smoke and mirrors. First, we rank 101st as a yds per rush for our top back, second although the sacks do attribute to rushing stats they also show 2 things:

Strength of d-line, true

And ability to pass protect on offense-VERY TRUE So they stats are pretty accurate on production.