Am I a Husker wannabe?

OK here goes:

Although I'm born and bred Texan, I've been a Husker fan my whole life. Even though I'm in Texas, I'm closer to Lincoln than College Station or Austin. So I consider myself a Husker and have seen them win 2 NCs and countless home and road games dating to 1990. My wife became rabid after we got married so that makes two of us. We both graduated from a D2 Texas school, but we still follow the Skers and even go to a few games a year.

IS THERE ANYTHING WEIRD ABOUT THAT?

Reason I ask is there's this chick at my son's school, she's a mom and NU grad, and she's always jokingly giving us grief for being Husker fans, like you've got to graduate from there or be from there to be eligible to be a fan. What pissed me off is another lady there said that this chick said we were "wannabes". I felt like calling her on it and telling her to kiss off. Arrogance.

Should I just forget about being Husker fan and follow the TU Longhorns because I happen to be in the same state? I wonder how many of the 85K packed in Memorial Stadium each game are actually FROM Nebraska or GRADUATES of UNL?

???????

OK here goes:

Although I'm born and bred Texan, I've been a Husker fan my whole life. Even though I'm in Texas, I'm closer to Lincoln than College Station or Austin. So I consider myself a Husker and have seen them win 2 NCs and countless home and road games dating to 1990. My wife became rabid after we got married so that makes two of us. We both graduated from a D2 Texas school, but we still follow the Skers and even go to a few games a year.

Reason I ask is there's this chick at my son's school, she's a mom and NU grad, and she's always jokingly giving us grief for being Husker fans, like you've got to graduate from there or be from there to be eligible to be a fan. What pissed me off is another lady there said that this chick said we were "wannabes". I felt like calling her on it and telling her to kiss off. Arrogance.

Should I just forget about being Husker fan and follow the TU Longhorns because I happen to be in the same state?

???????

Tell her to kiss your ass and welcome to Husker Nation!!! :woo I am a Nebraska transplant who lives in Texas. I proudly fly my Nebraska flag every saturday out in my front yard!

Hey take it from me buddy go with your heart on this one. I'm born and raised in Iowa and my whole family are Iowa and Iowa State fans. I chose to go against the grain and started following Nebraska in 1992. Not from Nebraska.................haven't gone there....................BIG RED THROUGH AND THROUGH!!!! To me NO ONE is a bigger Husker fan than me!!!! :bonez

OK here goes:

Should I just forget about being Husker fan and follow the TU Longhorns because I happen to be in the same state? I wonder how many of the 85K packed in Memorial Stadium each game are actually FROM Nebraska or GRADUATES of UNL?

???????

WOH there little buddy. Sounds to me like you are more of a Husker fan then the person you mentioned. So be proud, shrug off the quips & childish remarks towards you from her or anyone that gives you flak for being a Husker fan. Stick with RED and the SEA will embrace you. Welcome!!!

OK here goes:

???????

My dad was born in Joplin Missouri , gre up in Texas , and didnt become a Husker fan until he met my mom , who is native to Nebraska in 1970. He has bled Husker red ever since. He's one of those "out there" husker fans. I wouldnt call him a wannabe.

Root for whoever you want Husker Nation always needs fans.

I couldn't be a Steeler fan if that was true and, no one from Nebraska could root for any NFL team. (By the way Cowboys suck!) :thumbs

Course there are some fans who think they are the only true Husker fan and if you complain about anything Huskers do then your called a fake fan.

OK here goes:

???????

Interesting...... seems to me that this prickly woman is the 'wannabe' fan if anyone is.

Being a Husker is a matter of the heart!

OK here goes:

???????

Next time this chick calls you a "wannabe" ask her what's the name of the starting center for Nebraska.

When she gives you the deer in the headlights look tell her his name is Brett Byford and then say "who's the wannabe now bitch"??? :lol:

I am born and raised in Scottsdale, AZ and have zero ties to Nebraska in any way but I have always been an NU fan for the 32 years of my life. I support my team and I am loyal to my team, more so than a lot of fans for other schools. You are a fan if you say you are a fan. That is the only requirement. Put NU in front of any other school and always cheer for them to win and you are a REAL fan.

Having said that there are others on here that will say I am not a true fan b/c I don't like our coaching staff. Ignore those haters also. They aren't a true representation of NU fans just like the lady you mentioned above. My guess is she is just having some fun. I hope she is just having some fun giving you a hard time.

Also, to me it mens A LOT if you chose NU rather than with some people I feel NU chose them because of where they were born into it and they don't truly love NU...I said "some" as in very few.

I am born and raised in Scottsdale, AZ and have zero ties to Nebraska in any way but I have always been an NU fan for the 32 years of my life. I support my team and I am loyal to my team, more so than a lot of fans for other schools. You are a fan if you say you are a fan. That is the only requirement. Put NU in front of any other school and always cheer for them to win and you are a REAL fan.

Having said that there are others on here that will say I am not a true fan b/c I don't like our coaching staff. Ignore those haters also. They aren't a true representation of NU fans just like the lady you mentioned above. My guess is she is just having some fun. I hope she is just having some fun giving you a hard time.

Also, to me it mens A LOT if you chose NU rather than with some people I feel NU chose them because of where they were born into it and they don't truly love NU...I said "some" as in very few.

Well according to Ms. Arrogance I couldn't be a USC fan, but I am. By the way, my alma mater is Appalachian (yeah the one that beat Michigan). But that doesn't keep me from being a USC fan. Even though my third child is at SC, I couldn't make this person's grade. Tell her to bug off. You just go on being a fan of the team your heart is with, The Huskers! ;)

Go Mountaineers!

Fight On!

GBR!

OK here goes:

???????

I was born and raised in California but I have been a Husker fan all my life (my family all migrated from Nebraska). I got my BA, M.Ed, and MA from three different universities here in California, but I am still a huge Huskers fan. I now have two sons, both of whom were born in California, and both of whom are Nebraska fans. My house includes a Husker room (of course). I am in no way a "wannabe". You don't have to have lived in Nebraska, or attended the university to be a fan.

You are one of us. GO BIG RED!!!!

I was born and raised in Minnesota, had an aunt who lived in Omaha all growing up. Whenever she came up to visit she would have a Husker item for me. It stuck at a very early age and here I am now.

People ask me why I don't root for the Gophers...it is an easy answer...they are not the Huskers and the Gophers have absolutely NO tradition.

GOOOOO BIIIIGGGGG RRRRREEEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!