Marlon Lucky

huskerhaze

Whoa, now . . . Brandon Jackson and Cory Ross might have something to say about that.

Like I said real good hell I take Damon Benning Clinton Childs over those two, which is sad because they were backups most of their careers at NU.

Considering Benning was listed above LP on the depth chart and actually played more than LP until TO just couldn't take the fumbles anymore, I think we have to ask ourselves why he was a backup. It was because he friggin coughed up the ball all the time. This was the reason he was a perennial backup. He wouldn't have started many games at any other time for NU because he quite simply fumbled the rock all the time.

Clinton Childs was a good back. He was big and he was strong. His downfall was he wasn't really all that illusive and he wasn't the fastest of backs. I'd put him in the category of Buckhalter and Alexander. He was this kind of back.

You guys can go on all you want about Solich not having great RB's, but I must ask you who exactly were the great ones TO had between Phillips and Rozier? Doug Dubois? The paralyzed freak that went psycho on a cop? TO had his fair share of busts at RB. Don't get me wrong, he did have Calvin Jones. However, do you really think Calvin would have went anywhere else regardless of who was coach?

Cory Ross was good for his time. I think he's comparable to Childs, Buckhalter, and Alexander. Brandon Jackson if given the chance could/would have been a very nice feature back for NU. If BC wouldn't have caitered to Lucky, Jackson would be playing here this year. Jackson would have been a stud if given the chance.

Whoa, now . . . Brandon Jackson and Cory Ross might have something to say about that.

Like I said real good hell I take Damon Benning Clinton Childs over those two, which is sad because they were backups most of their careers at NU.

Considering Benning was listed above LP on the depth chart and actually played more than LP until TO just couldn't take the fumbles anymore, I think we have to ask ourselves why he was a backup. It was because he friggin coughed up the ball all the time. This was the reason he was a perennial backup. He wouldn't have started many games at any other time for NU because he quite simply fumbled the rock all the time.

Clinton Childs was a good back. He was big and he was strong. His downfall was he wasn't really all that illusive and he wasn't the fastest of backs. I'd put him in the category of Buckhalter and Alexander. He was this kind of back.

You guys can go on all you want about Solich not having great RB's, but I must ask you who exactly were the great ones TO had between Phillips and Rozier? Doug Dubois? The paralyzed freak that went psycho on a cop? TO had his fair share of busts at RB. Don't get me wrong, he did have Calvin Jones. However, do you really think Calvin would have went anywhere else regardless of who was coach?

Cory Ross was good for his time. I think he's comparable to Childs, Buckhalter, and Alexander. Brandon Jackson if given the chance could/would have been a very nice feature back for NU. If BC wouldn't have caitered to Lucky, Jackson would be playing here this year. Jackson would have been a stud if given the chance.

Keith "End Zone" Jones, Doug Dubose Rodgers, Terry Rodgers (To bad he got hurt) Ken Clark, Derek Brown, Calvin Jones. Damon was a fresman the same as Phillips and Clinton was a sophmore playing behind (The Home town Hero his words not mine. Long story) Calvin Jones I would them all ahead of any running back that Nu had since Ahman Greene left. Alexander should have been a FB and probably would have been good one in the NFL. Just my opinion so don't shoot. :lol:

You might take them, but Dubose couldn't keep his urine clean and was booted if I remember correctly. Buckhalter has been in the NFL longer than Calvin, Brown, or any on your list other than Ahman. I'm just saying TO had more than his fair share of flops at RB whether it be to injury or whatever.

Well if your going to consider NFL then you would have to say he better then Phillips and Rosier. You might want to add that he was out for about 3 seasons of his NFL career to. :)

I don't remember anything about Dubose being kicked off the team though.

As far as Ross and BJax not being as good as childs/benning, I think the Green Bay Packers would proably disagree with you. They did use their second round pick on him, which is higher than any back since Phillips, since I think (could be wrong) That Green went in the third? I think Green has proved himself on that score however. Phillips, Benning and Childs on the other hand....

I'd hardly call Lucky a "misread".

your opinion Dave, but most would agree, he has been a disappointment so far. a misread, can't take a hit.

numbers dont lie. he might not be a power back, but he's pretty darn good. If we had a decent line he would really be a load.

You can't call it a misread, every recruit is a case of 'russian roulette.'

I do agree with the post (Can't remember who) that we haven't had a really good back in a long time.

Lucky, IMHO, is a good back but not a reallly good back. Ahman Green and lawrence phillips were the last of the great backs that we have had at Nebraska.

People bring up Corry Ross, B-JAX, and maybe should bring up Dan Alexander, Correl Buckhalter, I may be missing someone here. I group these guys all together. None bad-none great. all had many pros all had just as many cons.

If you objectively look at all these backs and what they did at Nebraska... You can clearly see a definition b/t Green/Phillips and the rest of the bunch.

Back to the point though Lucky, IMO, is better than the rest... Somewhere in b/t the separation.

He has speed, ellusiveness, quckness, can catch, can block, can break tackles( at times), can break the long one. That last one is the big one that I think our backs have been lacking the last 8 or so years.

Lucky's numbers would mean more to me, but 40% of his rushing yards came against Nevada -- that leaves about 330 and change against the other four opponents -- nothing to write home about yet.

I think it would be hard to be a back in BC's system -- it seems they don't get a chance to break a sweat and be the guy -- all the mixing and changing might keep guys fresh but does little for momentum -- not sure if there are stats to back it up, but my perception is that great backs are "the guy" and get 20 to 30 rushes per game.

I have never understood all the swithing -- these guys are 19-21 years old and in shape -- do they really need to stay that fresh? I can see catching some air after a 30 yard burst, for one play, but next play hand it back to the guy and go.

As far as Ross and BJax not being as good as childs/benning, I think the Green Bay Packers would proably disagree with you. They did use their second round pick on him, which is higher than any back since Phillips, since I think (could be wrong) That Green went in the third? I think Green has proved himself on that score however. Phillips, Benning and Childs on the other hand....

You can't use draft status and what they do in the pro's as an argument.

College is a whole different beast. Best ex. Tommie Frazier... one of the best College football players in history... had no real chance in the pros. regardless of the bloodclots.

I would hold off on asking Greenbay what they think until BJAX actually does something in the NFL.

It is hard to compare Lucky to Green/Phillips. If there was a way to put Lucky behind the lines they played behind I think we would be really suprised how he would have done. That being said this is 2007 and we have what we have. Lucky is producing and is a threat to break a long run. With the SAM factor we should see more production from the running backs as the season goes along.

Watching him yesterday I was getting frustrated with him. He goes down way to easily on the first hit. Glenn was just driving his legs when he was running. Lucky is a great blocking back and a great out of the back field receiving back, but he doesn't hit the holes hard and with authority. He tiptoes way too much. IMO

Yeah. He's a 3rd down back. We need someone with more strength and power to carry the ball 20+ times/ game.

If Marlon makes the professional level, I'd guess that the NFL coaches will move him to be a receiver. His hands and good. He runs well after the catch, in space he runs very well. He has good speed (but not quickness). Because he is not physical, does not follow blocks well, nor has he good field vision in traffic, he is limited as a RB (at least by NFL standards --- by college standards he is pretty good). Also, while not overly physical for a RB, he would be considered fairly physical for a receiver and has some blocking skill.

You might take them, but Dubose couldn't keep his urine clean and was booted if I remember correctly. Buckhalter has been in the NFL longer than Calvin, Brown, or any on your list other than Ahman. I'm just saying TO had more than his fair share of flops at RB whether it be to injury or whatever.

Do not forget that DuBose blew out a knee and when he returned he was a shadow of his former self. Actually, before that injury (and unfortunately before he had a chance to show it in games) DuBose was mind blowing. I was in graduate school at NU at that time and watched many practices (when I should have been studying). DuBose looked like he was going to be flat sensational before he got hurt. He is one of those football tragedies --- unreal potential never realized because of injury (and, in this case, the kid also exacerbated the issue with some partying issues that did not help).

Ummm... we ran the ball 90% of the time when Benning/Childs/Green/Phillips and anyone else who played from 1973-2003. If we had BJax while we were doing that, he would have put up better numbers than anyone other than Phillips or Green in the 90s. Benning and Childs were system backs. If they were better than BJax, than yes they would have played in the nfl. Comparing that situation to Tommie Frazier is comparing apples and oranges. If you have enough talent as a RB, the nfl is gonna teach you how to do the things you didnt do in college. If you dont throw the ball real well as a qb, you arent playing in the nfl period. Tommie Frazier is the greatest, but Benning and Childs were mediocre system backs that put up good numbers due to playing behind a great line and in a system that was condusive to big numbers for backs.