Question for the Huskers

I also think Sean Payton would have done well at NU, but I don't think he would have stuck around long considering his age. I agree that speed is what you need on defense. Look at the SEC's defenses and try and tell me it doesn't make a difference. ;) Welcome to the board Tiger in SC gives us your opinion on the Huskers. It's always nice to have an outsiders opinion.

Totally agree, speed beats size anyday on defense. We need to go for a speed based defense, downsize our linebackers and DE's and bring in speed. I think we would see a dramatic improvement

I really do believe that if we put some guys that have the speed and size of Major Culbert in at linebacker we will see some running backs and QB's getting blown up in the backfield.

Pelini was a hot head. He showed his true colors after departing. He worked for two years to destroy this program. He is the lowest piece of $hit on the planet as far as I am concerned.

Enough with the bogasms.

I'm trying to avoid Bogasm here, but what did Pellini do to try and destroy our program? Did I miss something?

I also think Sean Payton would have done well at NU, but I don't think he would have stuck around long considering his age. I agree that speed is what you need on defense. Look at the SEC's defenses and try and tell me it doesn't make a difference. ;) Welcome to the board Tiger in SC gives us your opinion on the Huskers. It's always nice to have an outsiders opinion.

Totally agree, speed beats size anyday on defense. We need to go for a speed based defense, downsize our linebackers and DE's and bring in speed. I think we would see a dramatic improvement

I really do believe that if we put some guys that have the speed and size of Major Culbert in at linebacker we will see some running backs and QB's getting blown up in the backfield.

funny though, i remember when everyone was chiding Prince up at KSU for bringing in smaller, faster guys for his defense. although i don't like the guy as a coach, i think he has the right idea. big, oversized guys aren't very effective if they can't move. i think we are recruiting the wrong type of linemen, things have changed, just look at the speed that is all over the SEC and even in the NFL, some teams have smaller linemen that are just, if not more effective.

People want to crucify Cosgrove for 2 bad games a year. Pelini had 3 bad games in 03. I guess everything is roses if you only choose to remember what you want to.

coz has no past record of excellence, period. he is just a crony of cally's and may end up costing cally his next extension in 2011!

He had Wandstadt lined up but Miami kept him another year. I am not sure that would have been any better either way.

There are very few coaches out there that want the Nebraska job that are truly qualified. No matter how wonderful we think it is the coaching world knows it is a major nightmare to coach at Nebraska.

If BC is fired we will struggle to find anyone that would even consider taking the job.

Pelini was a hot head. He showed his true colors after departing. He worked for two years to destroy this program. He is the lowest piece of $hit on the planet as far as I am concerned.

Enough with the bogasms.

I agree 100% with skersfan.

We hit the jackpot with Bill, I really wish more people would recognize that.

funny though, i remember when everyone was chiding Prince up at KSU for bringing in smaller, faster guys for his defense. although i don't like the guy as a coach, i think he has the right idea. big, oversized guys aren't very effective if they can't move. i think we are recruiting the wrong type of linemen, things have changed, just look at the speed that is all over the SEC and even in the NFL, some teams have smaller linemen that are just, if not more effective.

Not me...............I think big is fine as long as they can move, but that is hard to find. We definately need a faster defense.

He had Wandstadt lined up but Miami kept him another year. I am not sure that would have been any better either way.

There are very few coaches out there that want the Nebraska job that are truly qualified. No matter how wonderful we think it is the coaching world knows it is a major nightmare to coach at Nebraska.

If BC is fired we will struggle to find anyone that would even consider taking the job.

Enough with the bogasms.

I agree 100% with skersfan.

We hit the jackpot with Bill, I really wish more people would recognize that.

for recruiting, yes, but as far as developing talent, putting guys in the right place and playcalling, well let's just say at this point i am far from being enamored with his demonstrated techniques and philosophy as a head coach. he may be the best we can get, for now, but that does not mean he is a good fit for our program in the long run.

however we won't have to wait much longer, 2-3 more years is all i give him to make significant advances with this team. if we are still drag-assing along, as now, i will have my complete fill of Callahan.

As much as I'm not pleased with Callahan's progress so far, NU has the best recruiting class that its had in a while (currently #9 according to scouts) so maybe we should give him a chance to work with that talent. (Don't say that this contradicts the thread that I started earlier b/c I said Callahan isnt getting the job done & so far he isn't). However, firing him before the end of his contract extension would probably make it harder to land a big name coach so I say we wait until we can find the right guy then fire his a$$ unless we start seeing some real progress.

As far as Cosgrove, I think we need to fire him as soon as the season is over. He already has a record down at Wisconsin for making defenses worse & right now I think that firing him as soon as this season is over can only be a good thing.

Welcome to the board.

Pellini wasnt a hot commodity at the time. Like someone mentioned he jumped ship a lot prior to coming to Nebraska & then after one year he expected to be the head coach. He cried and complained in the media when the job wasnt being given to him. Boo hoo. What did he do up until then? No head coaching experience. As for his defense, they gave up 41 to Missouri that year, and 31 to Texas.

Thanks for the input. Speed always helps on D. Good luck to Mizzou as well.

First I doubt he came here thinking he would be the headcoach the next year or have to fear that the whole coaching staff would be cut like bait. (Nebraska was known as being very loyal towards their coaching staff at the time.) He only threw his hat in after Solich was fired and he probably was crying and complaining because he knew what a joke the fake interview process that Turner Gill and him went through. Peterson already had his mind made up and the Miami Dolphins screwed that up.

It's funny how you think Pellini should have turned around a defense in one year but keep giving BC excuses after four years.

It's not like Texas or Missouri were terrible offenses that year either.

Unfortunately there really wasn't anyone else in the mix. Callahan was our only option because, our AD didnt think his firing of solich through. He didn't have anyone lined up to take the position so we spent 4 months trying to find a coach. Note to Pud: When firing a coach, you should always have someone lined up already to take his place. As far as I know Pud didn't offer the job to Pelini so he left, which is the dumbest thing ever. I still don't understand why Pud didn't offer him the job. The guy was a defensive guru, and last i checked defense wins championships. You can always bring in someone to run the offense, but defense is what gets it done.

And now this thread will turn into Solich v Callahan and how much we hate Pud. I think this is the 3,393,678,498,801,001 thread on this.

Whoa...um...there were quite a few folks in the mix. Houston Nutt, Sean Peyton, Bo Pelini, Turner Gill--all of them were either approached and/or interviewed for the job.

Honestly, I was hoping that they would have hired Turner Gill, but I was happy with the Callahan hire. I didn't see why they would have went after Nutt, and considering Bo's past (never stayed more than two years w/a team, if I recall correctly), I was more than hesitant to give the reigns to Bo (though I would had liked him to stay on as DC...especially now.)

I'm not sure how anyone can say they'd rather have had Wanny. After what he did to my beloved Bears, it would have taken decades to recover from what he'd have done to NU's program.

Pellini? He just wasn't ready to be a HC at the time. Other teams have interviewed and turned him down as well since then, I believe. I'd have loved to see him stay on as DC. I still wish BC would ditch cosgrove and bring him back. But I don't see it happening.

I also doubt Turner Gill was ready to be a HC. Maybe in a few years...well, that'd be different.

Welcome to the board.

Pellini wasnt a hot commodity at the time. Like someone mentioned he jumped ship a lot prior to coming to Nebraska & then after one year he expected to be the head coach. He cried and complained in the media when the job wasnt being given to him. Boo hoo. What did he do up until then? No head coaching experience. As for his defense, they gave up 41 to Missouri that year, and 31 to Texas.

First I doubt he came here thinking he would be the headcoach the next year or have to fear that the whole coaching staff would be cut like bait. (Nebraska was known as being very loyal towards their coaching staff at the time.) He only threw his hat in after Solich was fired and he probably was crying and complaining because he knew what a joke the fake interview process that Turner Gill and him went through. Peterson already had his mind made up and the Miami Dolphins screwed that up.

It's funny how you think Pellini should have turned around a defense in one year but keep giving BC excuses after four years.

First I doubt he came here looking to be a lifetime Husker defensive coordinator. As soon as another ship came along, he would have sailed right along with it. Second, he sucks againts QBs that can run. My prediction for this Saturday, Tebow runs all over his defense, like Young and B. Smith, LSU looses.

When we were hiring, Callahan clearly had the best resume. Less than 40 men have coached a team to a superbowl. I still think he can get the job done, though a couple of assistant changes may be needed.

First off, firing a guy in less than 5 seasons, or baring a total disaster (which we clearly are not right now)doesnt make for good people want the job. Nebraska has some nice pros and a couple nasty cons when it comes to coaches for football.

The Pros - A rabid fan base. Coaches love the passion, and it helps recruit when the players know the fans care.

Great facilities. We keep up with the Joneses.

Tradition. Huge with recruiting, and with all the intangibles.

The Cons - No recruiting base. The most of the Mega powers in football all are located in recruiting hotbeads. Florida, Cali, Texas, Michigan, most of the South. The state of Nebraska has fewer people than many cities in those states.

The rabid Fan base. Any loss the fans think they should have won gets some to call for firings. Hell, the fans would have canned Osborne once upon a time ago.

People want to crucify Cosgrove for 2 bad games a year. Pelini had 3 bad games in 03. I guess everything is roses if you only choose to remember what you want to.

coz has no past record of excellence, period. he is just a crony of cally's and may end up costing cally his next extension in 2011!

Yeah, but would you be willing to give Cosgrove the head job based on that? That's my point. That's why I don't understand the bogasms, when he sucked too against good teams. Bo had no record of excellence, period. Would things have been different if he were head coach? Think about that one for a minute.

Welcome to the board.

I see what you are saying. The way I phrased a quick response was prolly not the best way. He was hired around Christmas when the Huskers were 7-7. I'm okay with my opinion to believe that a light bulb went off in his head that if he did a good job on defense, and the offense was bad, maybe he could roll it into a head coaching job should Solich get fired. Makes logical sense to me. He did express his desire to be the coach after the firing of Solich. Make no mistake about it. And you are right that he & Gill were not seriously considered for the job by the AD. Regardless, Pellini still acted like a crybaby in the media when he didnt get the head coach job.

By the way, I have never cared for BC since he was hired. I've never given an excuse either, as you put it. So I'm not sure where your last comment is coming from. I still support the Huskers though.