You gott'a be kidding me

Teacher

I am a HUGE husker fan and would love nothing more than for them to be a dominant team and I agree with everything he is saying. Sure he took over a 10-3 team-that ran the option! He does have good recruits and good players, and I would be an idiot if I said the defense was good. Yes they do have talent and yes I do agree that Coz should go but give Callahan a freakin break. It took Devaney and Osborne a looooong time to get to where they are at. Everybody just remembers the last 5 years of Osbornes career instead of remembering the first 20! Callahan did take over a 10-3 team, however it had so little depth and so little talent at the skill positions that it would be damn near impossible to win right away. This year has not turned out the way that I thought it would but the bottom line is that the team has a lot of talent and IMO the team can turn this thing around at any point. I still do think that Coz should go and lets see what happens with a new d coordinator who can put a little fire in these guys. It would be hard as an offense to have the pressure put on them to HAVE to score every time and drive 60-80 yards doing it every time.

How many losing seasons did Osborne have? How many years did he miss bowl games? How long did it take Devaney to get a decent record after taking over for POS?

From HUskerpedia:

"The Huskers had managed just three winning seasons since 1940 and were mired in the bottom 10 in winning percentage during that stretch (.368). What's worse, there were no signs of a turnaround. In the five seasons leading up to his arrival, NU posted a 15-34-1 record, with more than a third of those losses coming by shutout. In only four games during that five-year stretch did the Huskers ring up more than 17 points. Dismal stuff indeed.

"Then along came Bob. His first team went 9-2, including a Gotham Bowl victory over George Mira and the Miami Hurricanes."

- http://huskerpedia.com/devaney.html

" In his quarter-century as head coach, Tom Osborne never won fewer than nine games in a season. His 255-49-3 record gave him the best winning percentage (83.6%) among active Division 1-A coaches at the time of his retirement and the fifth-best of all time."

- http://huskerpedia.com/osborne.html

Yeah, you're making great comparisons.

The whole problem here is we fired a 10-3 coach. Cally came in he has porbably his #1 recruiting class and he hasnt shown anything. Another big problem the players are not buying into his system. Hes an NFL guy, he cant get these college kids cohesive and riled ap. His coaching staff should all be on the same page and their not. hes had 4 years, made huge progress last year and now coming into a year full of expectations he has failed. After seeing what is going on within the organiztion you have to want change. This is Nebraska, Nebraska is football, we have one team, our fans do not want to drift into mediocrity therefore we want change. Pedey came in saying the same thing, he has failed, he also needs to be canned

Ok, before I start this rant, let me say up front that I am not a Husker fan, I am very anti-Husker, but please hear me out. I read on too many Husker forums that lots of guys want to see the coach get canned. Please get rid of this coach just like you did to the last one before he really has a chance to get his own program established. It takes two things to make a strong program; good coaching and patience. Good coaching does not happen by the first game or even after a few years. Patience is the second factor that too many of you do not have.

Sure,get rid of your coach before he gets a chance to establish himself. Go to someone else and complain when he doesn't win a national championship in his second season. Get rid of everyone who doesn't start out like Tommy O finished.

If you will just keep getting rid of coaches every few years you will never have anything and all us Husker-Haters can look forward to many years of watching you get it handed to you like what happened in MO.

If you're so "anit-husker"...what are you doing perusing a "Husker" board? :blink:

I can be anti-husker and still stand up for a guy I don't think is getting a fair shake.

I am a HUGE husker fan and would love nothing more than for them to be a dominant team and I agree with everything he is saying. Sure he took over a 10-3 team-that ran the option! He does have good recruits and good players, and I would be an idiot if I said the defense was good. Yes they do have talent and yes I do agree that Coz should go but give Callahan a freakin break. It took Devaney and Osborne a looooong time to get to where they are at. Everybody just remembers the last 5 years of Osbornes career instead of remembering the first 20! Callahan did take over a 10-3 team, however it had so little depth and so little talent at the skill positions that it would be damn near impossible to win right away. This year has not turned out the way that I thought it would but the bottom line is that the team has a lot of talent and IMO the team can turn this thing around at any point. I still do think that Coz should go and lets see what happens with a new d coordinator who can put a little fire in these guys. It would be hard as an offense to have the pressure put on them to HAVE to score every time and drive 60-80 yards doing it every time.

How many losing seasons did Osborne have? How many years did he miss bowl games? How long did it take Devaney to get a decent record after taking over for POS?

From HUskerpedia:

"The Huskers had managed just three winning seasons since 1940 and were mired in the bottom 10 in winning percentage during that stretch (.368). What's worse, there were no signs of a turnaround. In the five seasons leading up to his arrival, NU posted a 15-34-1 record, with more than a third of those losses coming by shutout. In only four games during that five-year stretch did the Huskers ring up more than 17 points. Dismal stuff indeed.

"Then along came Bob. His first team went 9-2, including a Gotham Bowl victory over George Mira and the Miami Hurricanes."

" In his quarter-century as head coach, Tom Osborne never won fewer than nine games in a season. His 255-49-3 record gave him the best winning percentage (83.6%) among active Division 1-A coaches at the time of his retirement and the fifth-best of all time."

Excellent points. Don't forget if Devaney teams don't lose to Ark and Ala in the bowl games he would have had his first 2 NC in the first 5 or 6 years. T.O. had how many shots at a NC before he won his. Those two coaches were never more than one or two season away from making another run at it and when they weren't they were still having very good seasons.

No one is asking Callahan to win a NC every year, but just to show us that help is only a year or two away from another run at it, and while we are waiting, we are keeping the loses close with a chance to at least pull one out at the end. Knowing by the middle of the third quarter that we have no chance isn't going to cut it. That's not Husker football.

GBR!!!

Damn you guys can dredge up some past lol good lord...bottom line Coz will go first Bill will stay...with a new DC if no progress is made after that....Bill's next recruit will be the UHAUL(love that sig by the way)...but at the very least Bill is here for a few before he gets the boot...

haha Well, I have these series of tubes called The Internets coming to my apartment and it doesn't take too long ;) Anyway, my point was just to provide counter-examples to the "you have to give him time" and that he took over for a bad coach with bad recruits... yet Devaney took over for Jennings and had a spectacular season (especially considering the Jennings era record). More recent examples have been cited all over the place with USC, etc... Coaching makes a HUGE difference... huge... immeasurable. If you can take a group of players who had never seen a winning season, been shut out for 1/3 of their losses and turn them into ass-kickers... well... that just rules.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,834648,00.html

Awww....

Damn you guys can dredge up some past lol good lord...bottom line Coz will go first Bill will stay...with a new DC if no progress is made after that....Bill's next recruit will be the UHAUL(love that sig by the way)...but at the very least Bill is here for a few before he gets the boot...

haha Well, I have these series of tubes called The Internets coming to my apartment and it doesn't take too long ;) Anyway, my point was just to provide counter-examples to the "you have to give him time" and that he took over for a bad coach with bad recruits... yet Devaney took over for Jennings and had a spectacular season (especially considering the Jennings era record). More recent examples have been cited all over the place with USC, etc... Coaching makes a HUGE difference... huge... immeasurable. If you can take a group of players who had never seen a winning season, been shut out for 1/3 of their losses and turn them into ass-kickers... well... that just rules.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,834648,00.html

Awww....

What you stated is very true, but you are talking about a class of coaches that fall under the category of "super coach" and those guys are somewhat rare. What NU is dealing with now is a guy that may or may not fall under the category of "good coach" or "developing coach". There are outstanding, but relatively few examples of the super coach and NU has had a couple in the past, and so have a few other teams. But in the real world these rare examples don't come along all that often and teams have to play the hand they have been dealt. I would be willing to bet that if NU had stayed with Solitch (sp?) by now he would have had things pretty well straightened out and NU would be on the delivering end of the butt kicking and not on the receiving end. It's all about patience and too many NU fans want the glory days now without having to put up with several years of development and discouragement. Patience is the key factor at this point and if you keep switching coaches every few years you will NEVER see the old times again.

Ok "Teacher", Callahan is supposedly a Offensive mastermind, and a former offensive line coach. Now maybe i'm just wearing some really bad glasses but i think i've seen these players block better when they first got here. Our offense is only "decent" against so so teams. Our coach is too stubborn to change his play calling(or you know give it up to someone who knows how to). He refuses to change his system to the players(you know instead of what good coaches do, changing the system to the player). Our defense has regressed. Octo was tackeling amazing in his first quarter as a husker. last year he looked better then this and that's even with all his medical issues. Ruud, just looks wretched, same with every other linebacker. The defense is to big, we refuse to go small and fast. Our staff is stubborn and refuse to change. oh also did you know that we've had top 20 recruiting classes(a top 5 at least once) and they can't coach the players up. The staff is useless in that facet of coaching. Nebraska "refused to gravitate towards mediocrity" instead we kicked out a good staff and plummeted like the 1929 stock market. The only thing keeping me sane is memory that my dad killed ralph the buffalo.

I think the dumb-asses on this board didn't hear the news that Callahan's contract is renewed through 2011 and they don't realize that Harvey Perlman has complete confidence in Steve Pederson.

From HUskerpedia:

lets not forget the back to back 6-4 seasons that had alot of Husker Fans back in the day, calling for Devaney to be fired. If the AD at the time would have followed the wishes of the fans then, NU doesnt win the NC in 70-71. More than likely TO never becomes the HC at NU either.

Jerry Murtaugh brought this up on the Blackshirt Roundtable just a couple of weeks ago.

You have to take TO's record each year with a grain of salt. Sure he never had a season that was worse than 9-3, but each season was padded with cupcakes in the non-conference schedule, and wasnt limited to 85 scholarships. Hell he even had a freshman team where all the freshman that didnt make the varsity squad, played on to get game experience at a higher level.

Callahan may or may not be the coach to bring NU back to a NC. He does need to make some changes on his staff, and some changes toward the teams game week preperations. He has a contract extension through 2011 so i doubt that he is going anywhere anytime soon, and I do feel like NU can be a very successful team with him as HC, but he has to make some tough decisions that have nothing to do with friendship, its just business.

From HUskerpedia:

lets not forget the back to back 6-4 seasons that had alot of Husker Fans back in the day, calling for Devaney to be fired. If the AD at the time would have followed the wishes of the fans then, NU doesnt win the NC in 70-71. More than likely TO never becomes the HC at NU either.

Jerry Murtaugh brought this up on the Blackshirt Roundtable just a couple of weeks ago.

You have to take TO's record each year with a grain of salt. Sure he never had a season that was worse than 9-3, but each season was padded with cupcakes in the non-conference schedule, and wasnt limited to 85 scholarships. Hell he even had a freshman team where all the freshman that didnt make the varsity squad, played on to get game experience at a higher level.

Callahan may or may not be the coach to bring NU back to a NC. He does need to make some changes on his staff, and some changes toward the teams game week preperations. He has a contract extension through 2011 so i doubt that he is going anywhere anytime soon, and I do feel like NU can be a very successful team with him as HC, but he has to make some tough decisions that have nothing to do with friendship, its just business.

I remember some of Ozzy's nonconference cupcakes: LSU, Penn State, Alabama, Auburn, UCLA, Washington, Baylor (when they were a really good Southwest Conference team), Florida State...among other teams usually ranked in the top 10 when we played them. Usually won the game, very close if not.

Guess what? None of these other teams were limited to 85 scholarships then, and all had freshman teams, too.

I think the dumb-asses on this board didn't hear the news that Callahan's contract is renewed through 2011 and they don't realize that Harvey Perlman has complete confidence in Steve Pederson.

Well if they lose more game and Heaven forbid they have a losing season the Confidence in Steve Perlman as Chancellor might dimminish enough for him to lose his job. I'm sure there would be enough money to buy out him and Steve P.