TRUE Fans...

cmb23

After reading the numerous "Hey....we're 4-2" and "You aren't a TRUE fan if..." comments I had to get this off my chest. I originally posted it in another thread, but thought it was worthy of a new one. Take what you want from it:

A "TRUE" Husker fan's Christmas list:

-A new #7 Jersey (there will be a good one again someday right???)

-A new pair of red-tinted sunglasses

-A set of red "N" horse blinders

-A falls supply of cherry Kool-Aid

-A set of earplugs so I don't have to listen to reality

I say "TRUE" Husker fans, because those that consider themselves TRUE fans don't think you can criticize, question or doubt the Huskers. Falling back on the "We're 4-2" argument is a sign of desparation because that is the ONLY stat that backs up the team this year. It's like a Junior High kid saying "Scoreboard!" after getting dominated in a basketball game and then hitting a half-court shot to win the game.

Players don't know how to tackle or where to be on the field on defense. The only big offensive numbers are against defenses that are just as bad as ours. Coaches can't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball. Hell players AND coaches are admitting "Hey all we can ask for is to try our best." Are you kidding me? To take a quote from Dan Hawkins: "This is Division 1 football! This is the Big 12!" Add to that this is a traditional powerhouse! Maybe if you are Baylor you can use the "We tried" excuse. But not here.

Look at ALL of the numbers and wake up.

Take off the glasses, put down the kool-aid and take out the earplugs....this season has squeaked by at 4-2...we could EASILY be 2-4 at this point. The team is in shambles right now, players and coaches. There is internal conflict. The fans are the least of their worries. What would it be if we HAD NOT beat Testicle Tech by ONE POINT or Wake Forest had pulled out the victory?

That being said, you TRUE Husker fans can try and bash me for my 'harsh' words. It doesn't make me less of a fan. It means I can see the whole picture. I will be in the stands Saturday screaming my butt off, trying to get the old money to stand up and cheer just one time as they yell at me to sit down. Hopefully the Huskers will come out and perform as the team we all hoped/hyped them to be. If they do....great....mission accomplished. However, if they don't, I won't peep one "Boo!" in or out of Memorial Stadium. I am a proud alumni and fan since I was 6 (thats the first game I remember going to).

I'm also a realistic 32-year old man (not quoting Mike Gundy). It doesn't mean I can't question the heart/emotion and dedication of these players, which is obviously lacking this season. And it doesn't mean I can't question the staff and administration for where the program is at right now after listening to 4 years of what this system, staff and recruiting classes have been striving towards.

If you have children can you only be a TRUE parent if you always/only see the good in your children??? Do you ignore things like learning disabilities, attitude problems or things like drugs (heaven forbid any parent has to deal with it). No you are a TRUE parent if you see/recognize and discuss the problems and make changes if necessary WHILE STILL supporting your children.

Are you only a TRUE good employee if you go about your day-to-day just doing what your manager says to do? What if you know there are internal problems, embezzlement, or some sort of discrimination occurring? No, you are a TRUE employee if you speak up, discuss what needs to be addressed and changed if necessary....maybe even cause something to be done about it.

So don't question my 26 years of loyalty and appreciation of this team. I've grown up looking forward to every fall, dealt with the highs and lows, supported AND questioned many things that have been done throughout the years. If you think I am wrong then YOU are not the TRUE Husker fan. You don't want to deal with the problems. You only want 'everyone to get along'. We will all still watch games this season. Sit side by side in the stands and chat on the board. But don't tell me I'm 'flamer' 'bandwagoner' or whatever else you think.

In my eyes I am the one who is a TRUE Husker fan.

There's no such thing as a True Husker Fan. Some think they are because they give big bucks to the program. Some think they are because they stick up for each and everyone in the program. Some think they are because they see the program for what it really is. Fans are like voters. Everyone has their own opinion. Just like in politics, you can't keep everyone happy. However to be successful, you have to keep the masses happy. This coaching staff once did that with their recruiting prowess alone. Now in year 4, they're being shown that we need more. I think the Mizzou game opened some eyes and now the "masses" have switched!

If you have children can you only be a TRUE parent if you always/only see the good in your children??? Do you ignore things like learning disabilities, attitude problems or things like drugs (heaven forbid any parent has to deal with it). No you are a TRUE parent if you see/recognize and discuss the problems and make changes if necessary WHILE STILL supporting your children.

:thumbs:yeah:box

True husker fan = lives and dies with the huskers

And I would contend that EVERYONE bitching on here is True Husker fans - why in the hell waste time complaining about something you don't care about??? If you weren't a True Husker Fan, you'd just quit watching/cheering for them and move on with your life. All the concern/complaining, etc PROVES they/we live and die with the Huskers.

True husker fan = lives and dies with the huskers

And I would contend that EVERYONE bitching on here is True Husker fans - why in the hell waste time complaining about something you don't care about??? If you weren't a True Husker Fan, you'd just quit watching/cheering for them and move on with your life. All the concern/complaining, etc PROVES they/we live and die with the Huskers.

Nah, they're just false fans who enjoy bitching and moaning. :sarcasm

After reading the numerous "Hey....we're 4-2" and "You aren't a TRUE fan if..." comments I had to get this off my chest. I originally posted it in another thread, but thought it was worthy of a new one. Take what you want from it:

A "TRUE" Husker fan's Christmas list:

-A new #7 Jersey (there will be a good one again someday right???)

-A new pair of red-tinted sunglasses

-A set of red "N" horse blinders

-A falls supply of cherry Kool-Aid

-A set of earplugs so I don't have to listen to reality

I say "TRUE" Husker fans, because those that consider themselves TRUE fans don't think you can criticize, question or doubt the Huskers. Falling back on the "We're 4-2" argument is a sign of desparation because that is the ONLY stat that backs up the team this year. It's like a Junior High kid saying "Scoreboard!" after getting dominated in a basketball game and then hitting a half-court shot to win the game.

Players don't know how to tackle or where to be on the field on defense. The only big offensive numbers are against defenses that are just as bad as ours. Coaches can't make any adjustments whatsoever on either side of the ball. Hell players AND coaches are admitting "Hey all we can ask for is to try our best." Are you kidding me? To take a quote from Dan Hawkins: "This is Division 1 football! This is the Big 12!" Add to that this is a traditional powerhouse! Maybe if you are Baylor you can use the "We tried" excuse. But not here.

Look at ALL of the numbers and wake up.

Take off the glasses, put down the kool-aid and take out the earplugs....this season has squeaked by at 4-2...we could EASILY be 2-4 at this point. The team is in shambles right now, players and coaches. There is internal conflict. The fans are the least of their worries. What would it be if we HAD NOT beat Testicle Tech by ONE POINT or Wake Forest had pulled out the victory?

That being said, you TRUE Husker fans can try and bash me for my 'harsh' words. It doesn't make me less of a fan. It means I can see the whole picture. I will be in the stands Saturday screaming my butt off, trying to get the old money to stand up and cheer just one time as they yell at me to sit down. Hopefully the Huskers will come out and perform as the team we all hoped/hyped them to be. If they do....great....mission accomplished. However, if they don't, I won't peep one "Boo!" in or out of Memorial Stadium. I am a proud alumni and fan since I was 6 (thats the first game I remember going to).

I'm also a realistic 32-year old man (not quoting Mike Gundy). It doesn't mean I can't question the heart/emotion and dedication of these players, which is obviously lacking this season. And it doesn't mean I can't question the staff and administration for where the program is at right now after listening to 4 years of what this system, staff and recruiting classes have been striving towards.

Are you only a TRUE good employee if you go about your day-to-day just doing what your manager says to do? What if you know there are internal problems, embezzlement, or some sort of discrimination occurring? No, you are a TRUE employee if you speak up, discuss what needs to be addressed and changed if necessary....maybe even cause something to be done about it.

So don't question my 26 years of loyalty and appreciation of this team. I've grown up looking forward to every fall, dealt with the highs and lows, supported AND questioned many things that have been done throughout the years. If you think I am wrong then YOU are not the TRUE Husker fan. You don't want to deal with the problems. You only want 'everyone to get along'. We will all still watch games this season. Sit side by side in the stands and chat on the board. But don't tell me I'm 'flamer' 'bandwagoner' or whatever else you think.

In my eyes I am the one who is a TRUE Husker fan.

Brotha dawg - I am right there with you on this. I enjoyed reading this. Count me in as TRUE Husker fan as well. BTW - I'm not an armchair QB, or someone with a little or random knowledge. I've played sports my entire life & still am. And I'm damn good <inserting my horn toot here>. I know what it takes. I considered my ability, experience and knowledge of the game to make me an expert, as according to the definition. Dont let anyone bring your opinions down. Just because neither of us is the head coach of this team today, we are rational fans, and are very much within our rights to critique (and criticise accordingly) this team and coaching staff.

Again - amen brotha! Good stuff! GBR!!!

Well said...One of my friends who is a former player and does media work for the Huskers is being scrutinized because he gave his HONEST opinion in the public eye. The University is very angry with him and has even asked that he be fired from his position. He simply stated that as a former player and Husker fan that he's dissapointed with how this team cannot come together and on top of that embarrassed for the players themselves.

It seems to me that as a journalist that we should want EXACTLY that, very objective and full coverage. Not one-sided, shoveling Husker BS down our throat as coach C and Stevie P want us to all believe. Yet the University is angry and wants him canned for doing his job because what he said was honest??? Maybe the University wants a bunch of us to just accept everything that happens and be happy no matter what. Sorry, not gonna happen.

If any of us did the mediocre job at our work that these two have done in their tenures, we'd be fired quicker than you can say Kevin Cosgrove. Interesting that in this college football world, apparently the rules change. With that being said, I've heard some interesting grumblings from a few connections. These rumors have a man with the initials T.O. being discussed as taking over as the athletic director sooner rather than later. I know for a fact that the numbers 2 and 3 people behind Pederson have QUIT and the University is having some problems keeping people behind Stevie Poo as they don't want to work for/with him anymore. Apparently he has a large ego, tough to believe huh??? :)

There's no such thing as a True Husker Fan. Some think they are because they give big bucks to the program. Some think they are because they stick up for each and everyone in the program. Some think they are because they see the program for what it really is. Fans are like voters. Everyone has their own opinion. Just like in politics, you can't keep everyone happy. However to be successful, you have to keep the masses happy. This coaching staff once did that with their recruiting prowess alone. Now in year 4, they're being shown that we need more. I think the Mizzou game opened some eyes and now the "masses" have switched!

Absolutely true. And by the way, in case the originator of this thread has lost perspective, 4-2 is the only stat that matters in the end. IT IS WHY THEY PLAY.

I am not going to let the current coaching staff and Steve Pederson sour me on the Huskers. We fans who have been here since the 60's know more about the Huskers and what it means than Pederson, Callahan or the rest. They will pass and some how, some way the Huskers will re-emerge.