The Latest From My Source

The latest "rumor" from my source:

"....the big money boosters met and have bought out the contracts of Steve Pedersen, Kevin Cosgrove, the offensive line assistant and one other assistant coach. Tom Osborne and Dave Rimington are being brought in to do the AD's job.

Callahan stays until the end of the season."

More:

"The big donors of Omaha gave a $40 million dollar package to buy everyone out. Callahan will stay through the season until the new Athletic Director, Tom Osborne, with the help of Dave Rimington finds a new one.

Harvey Perlman's office will release something later today...."

More:

"The big donors of Omaha gave a $40 million dollar package to buy everyone out. Callahan will stay through the season until the new Athletic Director, Tom Osborne, with the help of Dave Rimington finds a new one.

I got the same info with the caviat that Cally could be gone after TX or another blow out at home.

More:

I got the same info with the caviat that Cally could be gone after TX or another blow out at home.

I really hope that this isn't true. I hope that the big money donors aren't running our program to the extent that they get to say when even assistant coaches get fired. I hope the only influence they have (albeit a very big one) is that they can say - Hey new AD: If you need the money to do this and this and this, I have it. But ultimately I hope it goes this way.

The Chancellor, as he proved today, is the only one that can hire and/or fire the AD.

The AD can is the only one to hire/fire the head coach.

The head coach is th only one to hire/fire assitant coaches.

Of course, ultimatums will happen, and boosters will give money/not give money based upon performane. But if we are at a point where a booster can say fire Cozgrove now and it happens, then we will never hire a decent head coach. Ever.

part of the Bama problem was boosters breaking NCAA rules and getting the program on probation all the time.

The chain of power has not been damaged. Perlman fired the AD. Odds are the next AD fires Callahan. And the new head coach will retain or fire assistants at his discresion.

The boosters are not running the program, they may be nudging it the way nearly all the fans want it to go though.

Well I guess next on the list now is Callahan. He probably already knows he's fired so he probably won't even care the rest of the year. We'll see if they can even a win another game.

I think he will/does care. He will want another job after this one.

Letting boosters run a program spells trouble. Look at what happened to Alabama after Bear Bryant retired and eventually died. That program went down the toilet for a good 2 decades and is only now starting to turn around.

Yeah, you're right. This could be the start of a bad turn for the program... it's odd that this happened after such great play the last couple of weeks. What could the boosters be thinking?

part of the Bama problem was boosters breaking NCAA rules and getting the program on probation all the time.

The chain of power has not been damaged. Perlman fired the AD. Odds are the next AD fires Callahan. And the new head coach will retain or fire assistants at his discresion.

The boosters are not running the program, they may be nudging it the way nearly all the fans want it to go though.

Nebraska is not corrupt. You have a tradition of honor and unlike many programs you don't "sell-out" for simple money. The only thing that is happening is that people are ensuring that the great Nebraska tradition continues, after the hiccup called "Callahan."

Go BIG RED!

Yeah, there's really no evidence of the boosters running the program. Perlman stated quite clearly none of the regents or boosters have talked to him directly about this. He listed plenty of reasons why Pederson wasn't working out. I have no doubt people with big money getting more and more uneasy about the direction of the football program played a role, but there simply isn't any evidence it was the deciding factor or even the biggest one.

And I am completely fine with the "nudging" - it happens. It is just that threads like this one almost make it seem like the boosters are calling in the plays. DAMN - that is why BC took off his headset at Mizzou - tired of hearing double reverse flea flicker from the boosters!!!!!