Is there anyway we can win this weekend?

I doubt anything. Texas A&M and Nebraska are two of the bottommost teams in the Big 12 right now. Beating them doesn't prove anything.

How bad is that. aTm and NU are two of the worst teams in the Big 12. I really thought after last year both of these teams would begin to rise to the top. Unbeleavable both of these programs have fallen so far so fast.

There is a chance Nebraska somehow squeeks by this week since the atmosphere in Texas A & M is just as bad as it is here. It really depends on what team gives up first.

The biggest problem I see is that Texas A & M has the top rated running team in the Big Twelve and Nebraska has the worst running defense.

It comes down to which team has the "win one for the gipper"! I think both teams know their coach will not be coming back in 08. It will be which team wants to send their coach out on a high note. Considering our team has laid down and taken it from behind several times this year, I think the easy bet would be A&M beats us.

There is a chance Nebraska somehow squeeks by this week since the atmosphere in Texas A & M is just as bad as it is here. It really depends on what team gives up first.

The biggest problem I see is that Texas A & M has the top rated running team in the Big Twelve and Nebraska has the worst running defense.

I have a feeling that NU is going to come out swinging Saturday :box . I think some of the young guys will get a shot and Keller will realize that he is blowing his shot at being drafted on the 1st day of the NFL draft. Keller will provide a spark that gets us going....

Or maybe they will just put Patrick Witt in there and start the Witt Era early. Either way we will win!!!!

:restore

IMO, the first thing NU needs to do is sit Sam Keller down. He's been intercepted in every game he's played this year - 11 in all - and seems to have no fire in him at all and no leadership ability. Give Ganz a chance. And keep those freshman running backs in too.

Agreed. Keller might have the most talent, but i think a Ganz/Castille led offense would pack a punch. Fired and up and ready to go, i think we'd do a LOT better

I thought this was a joke the first time. Castille should obviously be playing a lot of downs. And actually, he was last week.

Keller has thrown 10 picks, not 11; but he's also thrown 11 TDs. When your opponent is scoring on EVERY possession, the QB is forced to try to make some plays that just aren't there. Our receivers have been dropping a rediculous number of balls the past few weeks. Ganz would not have done any better.

As far as leadership ability goes, it was Keller that refused to shut it down in the fourth quarter against USC, it was Keller that lit up the field to lead us to a win against Ball St when our defense couldn't stop Nate Davis, it was Keller who broke our single game passing yards mark, it is Keller who is consistently infront of the media after games shouldering responsibility for the team.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Keller that's been let down by the rest of this team. If you want the implosion to be complete, go ahead and bench him.

:yeah And TigerFan were you serious about no passion or leadership? He takes all the blame, he shows passion and his frustation with the team on the sideline. He was the only one showing ANY emotion (including coaches) during the Mizzou game. I agree that Keller is not letting the team down, but the team is letting him down. Can the man get a block one of these weeks?

I have a feeling that NU is going to come out swinging Saturday :box . I think some of the young guys will get a shot and Keller will realize that he is blowing his shot at being drafted on the 1st day of the NFL draft. Keller will provide a spark that gets us going....

Or maybe they will just put Patrick Witt in there and start the Witt Era early. Either way we will win!!!!

Atleast there are a few NU fans who are still optimistic. Unfortunately i am not one of them

I would start with a base 4-3. No movement on the defensive line of scrimmage period. Pull the 4 man front in close to eliminate the inside gaps and force runs to the side (Lane's weakness). Get the biggest, slowest D-linemen to jam up the middle run and tell them to focus on runs and screens, not QB sacks. Steinkuhler is too small in the middle.

Leave the Middle Linebacker (ML) in the middle. Dillard in the middle to do nothing except stop the inside run. Spy the inside handoff and maintain position to force plays outside.

Outside linebackers, Rudd and Octavian. Set them out a little bit wider to contain the option run. Number one priority hit the QB and force the pitch each and every time. ML flows to the outside once it's clear the run is to the outside.

Man coverage, jam the receivers at the line and stick to them. Colbert 8-10 yards off the line for run support/pickup Tight end. Asante deeper support. Take the chance that the QB will miss ~50% of his passes.

No blitzing. Base defense. Kill the man with the ball.

Potentially one other coverage scheme for 3rd and long, but use sparingly as 3rd and long a year long weakness.

The O will take care of itself given 4-5 A&M punts.

I would start with a base 4-3. No movement on the defensive line of scrimmage period. Pull the 4 man front in close to eliminate the inside gaps and force runs to the side (Lane's weakness). Get the biggest, slowest D-linemen to jam up the middle run and tell them to focus on runs and screens, not QB sacks. Steinkuhler is too small in the middle.

Leave the Middle Linebacker (ML) in the middle. Dillard in the middle to do nothing except stop the inside run. Spy the inside handoff and maintain position to force plays outside.

Outside linebackers, Rudd and Octavian. Set them out a little bit wider to contain the option run. Number one priority hit the QB and force the pitch each and every time. ML flows to the outside once it's clear the run is to the outside.

Man coverage, jam the receivers at the line and stick to them. Colbert 8-10 yards off the line for run support/pickup Tight end. Asante deeper support. Take the chance that the QB will miss ~50% of his passes.

No blitzing. Base defense. Kill the man with the ball.

Potentially one other coverage scheme for 3rd and long, but use sparingly as 3rd and long a year long weakness.

The O will take care of itself given 4-5 A&M punts.

:yeah

Nice game plan, just leaves open if they spread the field. Heaven forbid one team makes an ingame adjustment like that.

If the Huskers can stop A&M's rushing attack, they should win the game. A&M is so inconsistent on passing, and rarely throws the ball deep. McGee is not a very accurate passer (I personally think Fran ruined him). If you can contain Lane & McGee, you should have the game in the bag. The best pass we probably had all season was the 71 yarder by Lane. He's more accurate than McGee. But McGee has no qualms about taking rough hits. He's not one of those QBs that's going to slide when a defender gets close. But he also gets very nervous in the pocket and makes bad throws.

On defense, the Aggies run a 4-2-5, and it's HORRIBLE! We still have one of the absolute worst pass defenses. We play zone coverage, and give the receivers at least 5 yards cushion. We can't blitz to save our life. If the Huskers utilize a passing gameplan, it should be a cakewalk. As you can see from our last game against Tech, we couldn't stop their passing game. That's what always kills us. So much for the "wrecking crew" of the 80s/90s.

:yeah

Nice game plan, just leaves open if they spread the field. Heaven forbid one team makes an ingame adjustment like that.

Obviously you can change things up some. But I would take my chances that A&M's passing game will not be great given the wind this weekend and their history in past games. If they put another wideout or two then cover them with the safeties in man coverage and let the front seven focus on the run. If they spread it out they will likely run the QB rather than throw it.

Stay in the same base defense so it's much less confusing who does what and who stands where. That way two linebackers aren't discussing alignments on 3 and 1 with the other lined up to blitz the QB sneak while half the D-line is shifting around at the snap.

Once the run is slowed down have Octavian come after the QB once and a while (after he's respected the run). Tell the up safety to watch the TE. Everyone else does the same thing. Little wrinkles here and there. Not entirely different schemes.

Replace players who aren't getting the job done. Adjust a series (hopefully 3 plays) at a time instead of each play.