Head Coach Wish List

rkhufu7

Championships are built on the backs of great Defense.

It is NOT easier to coach offense than it is to coach defense. You can run a great offense and put up points, but if you don't have great defense it won't matter 9 times out of 10.

Polini may be our guy, he may not be but I do think he deserves a look.

He should be on our short list with Will Muschamp and Jeff Tedford. Butch Davis would be the best hire but he's not leaving where he's at now.

BTW, FWIW HuskerBob, even if Miles goes to Michigan, according to their boards Polini isn't even on their shortlist right now.

Their top choice is Rich Rodriguez and there have been rumblings that the also like Paul Johnson and Jim Leavitt and have them higher than Polini on their list.

I agree, Pud needed to go but Cally has potential, he just needs to step it up.

I say fire Coz and see if the team gets better

No, Callahan needs to go...

He's managed to fail on the pro and collegiate level. Nothing short of divine intervention would save his ass now...

I would sell my grandmother to personally kick Callahan in the ass all the way out of Lincoln...

Go ahead and tear this comment apart..but for some reason I want someone unknown. Someone who isn't wanted by every school but rather someone that Tom Osborne sees potential in that no one else does. I just think having a coach that began his career here would be great for tradition. Call me unrealisitic and so on, but thats what i think.

Va Tech, Kansas State, Arizona all played great defense and they don't have any titles. It is harder to coach great offense, then it it is to recruit great defensive talent and say sickem! That is why the most consistent programs are the one's with the great offensive minded coaches that have great DCs. If you named the top 5 college HCs, only Stoops and Carroll would be the defensive guys, but they have loads of talent in California and Texas to draw from for their OCs. Any guys with talent can have a great defense, but very few can be as consistent as Tom Osborne's teams were. Snyder was an offensive mind, but he knew that KSU could not come up w/o great defense and getting beat 60-0 every week. NU is a power school/program, we don't have to go the route of KSU, VA Tech or USF, you will see it, when your defense gets worn and beaten by an offensive guru.

Ok, so you're ok with us giving up 40 points a game, hoping that we'll outscore who we're playing???

This isn't your Daddy's 82' San Diego Chargers...

Defense, defense, defense, that's what wins ball games. You keep you're opponent to less than 2 touchdowns, unless Callahan is running your offense, you're going to win.

So, unless you haven't noticed Defense is just as important as the offense, and it's not just "recruiting great defense talent, and saying sickem", that's just naive...

Go ahead and tear this comment apart..but for some reason I want someone unknown. Someone who isn't wanted by every school but rather someone that Tom Osborne sees potential in that no one else does. I just think having a coach that began his career here would be great for tradition. Call me unrealisitic and so on, but thats what i think.

i'm not by any means trying to rip you...

I'm just thinking Pelini is the way to go. He's been here before, he's defensive minded, which we desperately need, and he's got a fire that this outfit definitely needs...

Yeah man I completely agree, I would love to see Pelini come here...bc Pelini has a past here and I loved his style but if that doesn't work out I don't want us goin out spending big bucks on some big named coach.

Unless you're an avid college football fan, you probably don't know who Pelini is...

He had our defense kicking ass, and taking names...

but, we didn't have time to take names, so we took initials...

Anyone know anything about Dan Mullen? He's young, was Urban Meyer's QBs coach in Bowling Green and Utah, and has been pulling double duty as QBs coach and offensive coordinator in Florida for the past 3 seasons.

He's worked up some GREAT QBs in the past 5 years (Alex Smith, Chris Leak, my man-crush Tim Tebow). He obviously knows the shotgun spread option extremely well at this point, and can put some serious points on the board.

I just don't know much else about him or if he's ready to take on his own program...

Anyone know anything about Dan Mullen? He's young, was Urban Meyer's QBs coach in Bowling Green and Utah, and has been pulling double duty as QBs coach and offensive coordinator in Florida for the past 3 seasons.

He's worked up some GREAT QBs in the past 5 years (Alex Smith, Chris Leak, my man-crush Tim Tebow). He obviously knows the shotgun spread option extremely well at this point, and can put some serious points on the board.

I just don't know much else about him or if he's ready to take on his own program...

If it's the spread offense he's running, no thank you...

Kevin Kugler definitely needs to replace Rose

hahah. i wish but there is no way.. kugler has TOO sweet of a gig to leave it.. although the more i think of it w/ stevie p gone there is not longer the kugler hate factor.. he would then no longer be able to do ANYTHING for NET which i don't really see him giving up completely.. especially now that stevie p is gone.. so i guess thats a little more complicated rambling than helpful.. just dont see him, even tho he is GREAT at it.. but rose hopefully will be gone.. cant stand the guy

If it's the spread offense he's running, no thank you...

What they run is the option. Predominantly out of the shotgun spread. Meyer's been running it for awhile and having amazing success with it.