subtle differences...

10 years ago, teams like wake forest, Okie St, etc., I know we'd have won...

Now, when we play those teams, I'm thinking, I hope we can beat those teams...

That's the major difference i'm noticing, is how much confidence we've lost in the coaching staff, and how much it's filtering down to the players.

10 years ago, the triple option was a viable system. Teams like Boise St. don't make BCS runs. Teams like South Florida don't get ranked #2 in the nation. Teams like Appalachian State don't beat Michigan. Parity...get used to it. It won't change if TO himself came back to coach.

10 years ago, the triple option was a viable system. Teams like Boise St. don't make BCS runs. Teams like South Florida don't get ranked #2 in the nation. Teams like Appalachian State don't beat Michigan. Parity...get used to it. It won't change if TO himself came back to coach.

I agree to a point. We should always be competitive though, no matter the team we are playing.

1. The triple option isn't a system.

2. The power running game is a system.

3. The triple option as a play could have success just as the option in general has success in the modern game.

4. The power running game could have success with successful component parts.

X

Then and now? Seems like a lot of comparisons focus on the last 10 years or back to the first of the last 3 NCs.

I can't believe that a Husker nation whose team has 0 losses or 3 losses looks ahead at the last 5 games of the regular season and says if we go 3-2 in the last 5 games we will be doing good. Although in the poll, I predicted 2 wins the rest of the season considering the state of the program, starting with changing some leadership, hopefully an attitude will begin to change.

I now expect 5 wins to finish and a win in the bowl game, gentlepeople. It is the Husker way!

May I leave you with a poem you probably have read, and, like myself, have forgotten.

The Man Who Thinks He Can

If you think you are beaten, you are.

If you think you dare not, you don't.

If you like to win, but you think you can’t. It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you've lost,

For out in the world we find success begins with a fellow's will. It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are.

You've got to think high to rise.

You've got to be sure of yourself before you can even win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man

But soon or late the man who wins is the man who thinks he can

Walter D. Wintle

That's the major difference i'm noticing, is how much confidence we've lost in the coaching staff, and how much it's filtering down to the players.

Those teams aren't the same teams they were 10 years ago.

10 years ago, there was no BCS.

10 years ago, NU and service academies were still basically only schools running the option.

Guess what, today MUCHO teams run OPTION and the ZONE READ, that didn't run any option 10 years ago!

Tulane went undefeated, and so have other smaller schools, there was just no BCS Bull!

10 years ago NU was beating schools with top recruiting classes like they stole something!

10 years ago NU had the best coach in TO with the best career winning percentage.

1999 NU was the best team in the nation! VA Tech, an option team went undefeated and played FSU for the MNC.

2001 NU played Miami and lost for the MNC.

2003 NU finished 10-3.

Exactly when did the TO offense die, because he didn't run as much option as Solich?

Today, 10 years later, outside of the service academies, I see many teams run option/read plays, FAR MORE than 10 years ago!

Michigan lost to Applachian State and Oregon because they could not handle OPTION/SPREAD OPTION TEAMS!

WV is come up because of the option, Va Tech still runs option East Carolina runs option, Arkansas, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Illinois, Oregon, Utah, Boise State, Texas, South Florida... Thats FAR MORE than 10 years ago!

The triple option is STILL a viable system. Here's the plan facts: NO TEAM has ever led the nation in rushing 3 consecutive years. 15 schools have 2 consective, but NONE have 3 - Navy - yep, Navy - has a shot to do it this year. Since 2002 they've finished #3 twice and the rest have been #1

Oh, and by the way, Navy is #11 in number of wins over the last 5 years...

#12 in winning percentage away from home 2003-2007

#19 home winning percentage 2003-2007

#21 total offense so far this year (455.2 ypg)

#15 passing efficiency (they don't do it ofte, but they get it right when they do it)

#4 in 4th down conversions - yes, 4th down

#8 in 3rd down conversions

Against Ball State this year they had 585 total offense, 521 on the ground

Remember this is Navy - they don't have an "exercise science" program - these guys study engineering, and they also POUND THE ROCK (I hate that phrase)

So, yes, the triple option is still viable...

Wonder if Paul Johnson is taking phone calls...

Those teams aren't the same teams they were 10 years ago.

yeah, neither are we...

10 years ago, there was no BCS.

10 years ago, NU and service academies were still basically only schools running the option.

Guess what, today MUCHO teams run OPTION and the ZONE READ, that didn't run any option 10 years ago!

Tulane went undefeated, and so have other smaller schools, there was just no BCS Bull!

10 years ago NU was beating schools with top recruiting classes like they stole something!

10 years ago NU had the best coach in TO with the best career winning percentage.

1999 NU was the best team in the nation! VA Tech, an option team went undefeated and played FSU for the MNC.

2001 NU played Miami and lost for the MNC.

2003 NU finished 10-3.

Exactly when did the TO offense die, because he didn't run as much option as Solich?

Today, 10 years later, outside of the service academies, I see many teams run option/read plays, FAR MORE than 10 years ago!

Michigan lost to Applachian State and Oregon because they could not handle OPTION/SPREAD OPTION TEAMS!

WV is come up because of the option, Va Tech still runs option East Carolina runs option, Arkansas, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Illinois, Oregon, Utah, Boise State, Texas, South Florida... Thats FAR MORE than 10 years ago!

Yeah, everywhere you turn nowadays successful D-1 programs are running lots of option variations. Look at what Rodriguez and Meyer have accomplished over the past 6 or 7 years.

Yes teams like BSU and USF are getting better, but we shouldn't be getting blown out by teams in our own conference, no matter what uniform they wear.

There's a big difference between parity in the sport and being a team that can't compete with anyone they play.

Yes, indeed it is a HUGE difference. NU getting slaughtered like stuck pigs has nothing to do with "parity".

As always, parity is just being used as the same old same old....."excuse".

1. The triple option isn't a system.

2. The power running game is a system.

3. The triple option as a play could have success just as the option in general has success in the modern game.

4. The power running game could have success with successful component parts.

X

I'd agree with you if it weren't for that mutated Bozo in your avatar making me piss my pants. ;)