Marcus Mendoza

From journalstar.com blog:

Mendoza ready

Be on the lookout for true freshman running back Marcus Mendoza in Saturday’s game against Texas A&M.

Nebraska coach Bill Callahan wouldn’t guarantee Mendoza would play but said there’s “a good chance.”

Mendoza hasn’t played yet this season.

“We think he gives us a spark, he gives us a different style of back,” Callahan said.

Mendoza, a 5-foot-10, 185-pound running back from Houston, was among players who enrolled early and participated in spring practice.

Mendoza ran for nearly 700 yards and caught 20 passes for 250 yards as a senior in high school.

“We can utilize him as a wide receiver, we can throw to him out of the backfield,” Callahan said. “He has a little bit of Cory Ross in him, his shiftiness, kind of a level where he’s a little bit lower because he’s smaller. He can be way one way and dart the other, and you really don’t see him because he can hide behind that offensive line.”

Callahan said true freshmen Anthony Blue and Eric Hagg could also see more time on defense.

http://www.journalstar.com/blog/huskers.php

Bitch and moan. I thought everyone wanted Coach Callahan to play the young guys? He says he might and there a melt down??? WTF do you want?

Isn't this the same thing Frankie and the boys did in 02 with David Horne? If the kid doesn't care NONE of US should care.

Well since Solich knew he was coming back he was trying to make the team better you can't say for certain that why Callahan is doing this.

Does this mean Callahan has given up on the season, since Elmo has been quoted that they believe when you play a freshman that it means one loss.

I can see this. It's not like this is the last game. The season is barely over half over. There's plenty of time for him to make a lot of good contributions this year.

but it seems odd that he's playing someone with no gametime experience when he's sittin in the kitchen with his butt straight on the burner nowdays..why not play someone like Castille so that you dont burn a redshirt, and have him develop a little more and gain some more confidence!..UGH!

Glenn is banged up and unavailable, Culbert moved back to the defense. That leaves Lucky, Castille and Helu. Maybe they think Mendoza can contribute and help the team get a win and get the train back on the track. I know the team has looked like crap, but you can't expect them to just fold.

Wasn't he supposed to redshirt?

Well, atleast Cally is trying something different

It seems like he's burning redshirts as a big "FU" to all of us. What a prick.

:yeah

I think he needs to be told it's to late in the season and not to burn any red shirts now. I'm starting to think hes getting pissed and knows his time is up. That book coming out might have just finished him.

GBR!!!

IMO, I think Mendoza probably has stated he will or wants to transfer if Clownahan and Co. aren't the coaches next year. If he burns his redshirt this year, he can transfer and use next year which he'll lose anyway for his redshirt. Either way, he still has 3 years of eligibility left. By being on the field, it will allow him to showcase his talent to other potential teams that might pick up his scholly. Does any of this make sense?

Come on! Callahan knows that if he doesn't try and pull his team together for some of these last five games it will be tougher than before to find a new job, IF he is let go, or resigns. He has players who have lost the drive to play, and is replacing them with kids who want to be out there. Lets be honest Lucky has been decent a few games, but hasn't been explosive lately and Castile is a bruser. If what your doing, and who your playing isn't working try something else. Just root them on and hope that these kids realize that at NU you play for the name on the front of your shirt!