This may be the Best Post...of All Time

Armistead

I found this post tonite and I got to say it says it all...........................

DJR313 Posted: Nov 15 2004,

Honestly, who cares what Osborne thinks at this point? He no longer works for the university. He is actually the person that is responsible for setting the wheels of chaos in motion. If Osborne would have just stepped aside after '97 and let Bill Byrne find a worthy replacement, Callahan probably wouldn't be here, Solich would have never been coach, and this program might have not seen some of the low points that have come since then. Osborne took the easy route and had a stand-in that he knew would not make any drastic changes, eventhough TO knew some changes would have to be made eventually. I blame the current situation on TO. The university and football program had such endearment and respect for TO that he was allowed to select his successor. No one may agree with me, but if you can tell me Byrne would have picked Solich amongst candidates that would have come calling, I think you are fooling yourself.

Might be the dumbest post. Osborne is a legend. Who cares what he thinks? He is what nebraska is all about. If you really think he would name frank coach just because they are friends and if he thought for a minute frank would lead us in the toilet your crazy. Frank really didn't do to bad if you ask me. One bad year. One bad year.

I found this post tonite and I got to say it says it all...........................

Honestly, who cares what Osborne thinks at this point? He no longer works for the university. He is actually the person that is responsible for setting the wheels of chaos in motion. If Osborne would have just stepped aside after '97 and let Bill Byrne find a worthy replacement, Callahan probably wouldn't be here, Solich would have never been coach, and this program might have not seen some of the low points that have come since then. Osborne took the easy route and had a stand-in that he knew would not make any drastic changes, eventhough TO knew some changes would have to be made eventually. I blame the current situation on TO. The university and football program had such endearment and respect for TO that he was allowed to select his successor. No one may agree with me, but if you can tell me Byrne would have picked Solich amongst candidates that would have come calling, I think you are fooling yourself.

oh my god

you have got to be joking

I think this post was originally answering a conversation I was having in another thread. I thought it was so riciculous there that I didn't even answer. But now that it's cropped up again, I'll just say that if you honestly believe that Osbourne's ego is that big than I don't know what football team you have been following for the last 30 years. So just to sum things up, looks like so far its 3-1 against Armistead's claim that this is 'the best post of all time'. What a joke.

And by the way...why did Tom Osbourne know after '97 that some changes were going to need to be made? Were those 3 championships in 4 years a danger sign that things were headed in the wrong direction? So ridiculous.

Name me one program where the coach got to pick his replacemant and it worked out........I guess JOE PA is what you guys wanted at NU with Solich.......what kind of recruits do you think Frank was goin to keep bringing in?....I really can't believe that their are so many of you guys who can't get over Frank and would ratther spend your time looking at the glass as half empty, rather than Half full......We got a great recruiting class coming in....we are in pretty good shape for a win saturday and a bowl game(the only streak frank didn't end)........I am sad that it has come to this, I really am....I know I have posted some harsh stuff about the critics of BC on this board.....and maybe that has hardened some of your replys to me, but you reaaly have got to be goin off the deep end if you think Frank was ever goin to restore order at NU and in the Big 12 North......He simply did not know how to recruit.......and thats the blood of the program....I really hope we can move on from this backstabbing stuff....it has gotten pretty bad here laltely, me being one of the worst.....I support BC ...I think Osbourne should have left the Job to Turner Gill, but he chose the easy way out and that eventually led to Franks ouster when Tom's talent dried up......peace

OK Mr. Knowitall, what kind of players did TO recruit his first 5 years? What kind of success did TO have in his first 5 years? How many title games did TO make his first 5 years? It's amazing how one little decision in TO's life could have really affected this program. What was that decision? He all but took the CU head coaching position back in the mid to late 70's. Why? Because he wasn't having the success Devaney had and some fans were calling for his job.

I really do see a mirror image between Frank and TO other than Frank wouldn't have coached nearly as long as TO. We gave TO 20+ years to bring us back to the promise land. We gave Frank basically 3. "Pud" was going to fire Frank no matter what. Why he didn't just give him the boot after the 7-7 season still has me wondering, but Frank was gone no matter what when "Pud" came in. If you look back at some of TO's recruits, then how can you say Frank was leading us down a path of destruction. Mike Grant? Mickey Joseph? A secondary they timed on the sundial because they were so slow?

IMO, TO decided to hang it up after the 97' season because he looked at the cupboard and it was bare. He had two freshmen for QB, and he didn't have anyone who even resembled a half back returning. A lot of his line was graduating, so he decided to retire on top. I can't blame him for that as I would have done the same thing. However, you can't tell me that he wouldn't have sustained some losses in 98' as the talent wasn't there.

I laugh when I read a post one here earlier that said Crouch made Solich. Who in the hell do you think made TO? Answer: Frazier, Phillips, Frost, and Green. And by the way, Frost was a gift from Walsh for retiring early from Stanford and Green was an in-state player. So really, Frazier and Phillips made TO. Why do you think TO played Phillips in the bowl game? He knew he owed him a lot and wanted to get him into the pro's!

OK Mr. Knowitall, what kind of players did TO recruit his first 5 years? What kind of success did TO have in his first 5 years? How many title games did TO make his first 5 years? It's amazing how one little decision in TO's life could have really affected this program. What was that decision? He all but took the CU head coaching position back in the mid to late 70's. Why? Because he wasn't having the success Devaney had and some fans were calling for his job.

I really do see a mirror image between Frank and TO other than Frank wouldn't have coached nearly as long as TO. We gave TO 20+ years to bring us back to the promise land. We gave Frank basically 3. "Pud" was going to fire Frank no matter what. Why he didn't just give him the boot after the 7-7 season still has me wondering, but Frank was gone no matter what when "Pud" came in. If you look back at some of TO's recruits, then how can you say Frank was leading us down a path of destruction. Mike Grant? Mickey Joseph? A secondary they timed on the sundial because they were so slow?

IMO, TO decided to hang it up after the 97' season because he looked at the cupboard and it was bare. He had two freshmen for QB, and he didn't have anyone who even resembled a half back returning. A lot of his line was graduating, so he decided to retire on top. I can't blame him for that as I would have done the same thing. However, you can't tell me that he wouldn't have sustained some losses in 98' as the talent wasn't there.

I laugh when I read a post one here earlier that said Crouch made Solich. Who in the hell do you think made TO? Answer: Frazier, Phillips, Frost, and Green. And by the way, Frost was a gift from Walsh for retiring early from Stanford and Green was an in-state player. So really, Frazier and Phillips made TO. Why do you think TO played Phillips in the bowl game? He knew he owed him a lot and wanted to get him into the pro's!

Well said. Many people forget that Osbourne almost bolted for Colorado because of the pressure. I think waiting all those years for the championships in the 90s was ok because Osbourne was a good coach and a great man. Same with goes for Solich. Now we need a championship every 3 or 4 years I guess.

Name me one program where the coach got to pick his replacemant and it worked out........I guess JOE PA is what you guys wanted at NU with Solich.......what kind of recruits do you think Frank was goin to keep bringing in?....I really can't believe that their are so many of you guys who can't get over Frank and would ratther spend your time looking at the glass as half empty, rather than Half full......We got a great recruiting class coming in....we are in pretty good shape for a win saturday and a bowl game(the only streak frank didn't end)........I am sad that it has come to this, I really am....I know I have posted some harsh stuff about the critics of BC on this board.....and maybe that has hardened some of your replys to me, but you reaaly have got to be goin off the deep end if you think Frank was ever goin to restore order at NU and in the Big 12 North......He simply did not know how to recruit.......and thats the blood of the program....I really hope we can move on from this backstabbing stuff....it has gotten pretty bad here laltely, me being one of the worst.....I support BC ...I think Osbourne should have left the Job to Turner Gill, but he chose the easy way out and that eventually led to Franks ouster when Tom's talent dried up......peace

him and new staff were going to be great recruiters in my mind. We had everything going in the right direction. All these new coaches can do is recruit, they can't coach for darn sure. We will probs be getting in trouble in a couple years for cheating.

Wow, I think I touched a nerve. I don't think Osborne is off limits to criticism just because he led the team to championships. He left the cupboard bare for Solich, he had an aging staff that was going to break up sooner rather than later. Only negative things were on the horizon for him if he stayed. Why care what Osborne thinks, do you expect him to hold each of your hands through a tough stretch of football? Grow up people.

him and new staff were going to be great recruiters in my mind. We had everything going in the right direction. All these new coaches can do is recruit, they can't coach for darn sure. We will probs be getting in trouble in a couple years for cheating.

Our offense was going down hill Benard. The rushing yards per game were going down. Total offense was going down. I count that as something, so for you to say that everything was going up hill is completely wrong. And how are we cheating now that is going to get us in trouble later?

Thats why we hired new coaches and barney cotton. Say our offense was going downhill but I felt a hell of a lot more comfortable with last years offense compared to this crap. I said I wouldn't be suprised if we don't get in trouble in a couple of years about like ohio state is this year.

Thats why we hired new coaches and barney cotton. Say our offense was going downhill but I felt a hell of a lot more comfortable with last years offense compared to this crap. I said I wouldn't be suprised if we don't get in trouble in a couple of years about like ohio state is this year.

Why, because the guy isn't from Nebraska or hired by the guys you like?

Thats why we hired new coaches and barney cotton.  Say our offense was going downhill but I felt a hell of a lot more comfortable with last years offense compared to this crap.  I said I wouldn't be suprised if we don't get in trouble in a couple of years about like ohio state is this year.

Why, because the guy isn't from Nebraska or hired by the guys you like?

I guess it is because they are landing top recruits and we all know you can't land a top notch recruit without cheating. :wacko: Doug DuBose ring a bell.

If your job was on the line would you actually bring in Barney Cotton to run your offense? I can see bringing him in to run the line. I believe the only reason Frankie brought him in so the offense wouldn't change all that much and Frankie could still call the plays.