Marlon Lucky

As of right now Lucky has broke the Single game, season, and career mark for receptions by a RB. More then likely within the next game or two he will have set the record for season & career yardage by a RB as well as the OVERALL season reception mark. He is on pace to end up with 73 receptions this year which would put him at 107 for his career 36 short of the career mark. Which would be very reachable if the "New" staff uses him like he should be used. Before you knock him take into consideration that the records he is breaking were set by Cory Ross, Jeff Kinney and Johnny Rodgers. Johnny "Freaking" Rodgers people. It is not like he is breaking records of guys that played on teams that only ran the ball. Those guys played on teams that weren't affraid to throw the ball around. He was also 1 catch short of the overall record for receptions in a game and 6 yards short of the yardage mark for RB in a game.

Say what you want about him hitting the holes or whatever else the "talking heads" on here complain about, this guy may be the best receiving threat to EVER come through NU as far as RB's are concerned. He gets short changed because we were spoiled by the likes of Ahman, Rozier, Phillips etc. and because Recruiting Websites put crazy expectations on him. This guy is good and is more then likely going to end up with more then 1500-1600 total yards and that is with a line that can't run block and splitting time with 2 other guys.

(disclaimer) For those that feel the need to bash this guy I've heard it all before blah, blah, blah. I'm tired of all the National Enquirer crap around here and want to talk some stinking football for a change.)

I wouldn't compare him to Terry Rogers let alone Johnny Rogers. They have to throw him the ball because he couln'nt find the hole running or get around the corner by himself.

Records don't really mean much, or do you consider Zak Taylor was the best passing QB ever at Nebraska since he hold the record.

Look and see who hold the most passing yards for a sophmore that would be Joe Dailey 342 yards.

Kudos to Marlon...he is having a pretty good year and is doing what is asked of him. Great to see him pile up the catches but IMO he should not be catching the ball 13 times while others only catch it 3 times (see A&M stats). We need to get some feature star receivers in here and let them get catches. I don't think this spreading the ball around is working as no one gets into a rhythm in the season. Let Marlon catch it 5-7 times but then lets hit some WR's 7-10 times per game. Mo Purify should easily have 5 catches or more every game (my count has him doing it only 3 times this year).

Jackson bolted for the NFL because of Clownahan's infatuation with Lucky. Don't get me wrong, Lucky is a good back. However, he's not the second coming. If he jetted for the NFL, I'd say he'd be "lucky" to get drafted in the first 5 rounds.

Maybe if he robs a convenient store, we can bail him out and he'll turn his life around and become an attorney here in Nebraska!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you have thrown this out ther before about Jackson I would like to see some proof or an article stating this. His family was DIRT poor and this was a weak RB draft. He saw his chance and bolted. Lucky will get drafted and probably sooner then you think. He will go to the combine and run a good time and test out well. Plus teams will look at his blocking and receiving skills and pick him up. Also where has anyone on here said he was teh second coming? Just wondering.

As far as your last statement didn't you harp on DaveH in another thread for talking harsh about former players? That's what I thought. :madash:nanalama

I think the "Clownahan" thing has been dedhoarse to death.

I agree completely about Purify not getting the ball enough or even being on the field enough for that matter. The rumor that I have heard is that he doesn't know the playbook that well. To me this shouldn't matter, he should be on the field until he is tired, we should run whatever plays he does know, it's not like our playcalling has been that varied anyway.

I would say that Purify is our best player but he isn't being used nearly enough.

If you look at other teams that have good receivers, they are on the field almost always.

It is not a mystery when we are running, Erickson is on the field everytime, I'm sure the other teams have noticed this by now, it's been this way for several years.

Pretty much meaningless when we have a losing record. Last time I checked it is a team game. Plus the reason he is getting these records is because out of the 300 page play book these guys have to memorize, they only know about 4 of the pages, and half of those plays are screens and dump passes. Lucky isn't a game breaker. Castille and Helu could do the same thing if given the bulk of the snaps.

Didn't people say the samething about Glenn last year that he could do what Lucky is doing if he was just given the chance. Where is he at these days? :madash I heard running on the Scout team. Castille needs to hang on to the ball and what exactly has Helu shown that proves he could do what Lucky has? Once again the guy gets no credit from some folks. I'm sure that Lucky going into the flats or over the middle is the same play. I'm sure he doesn't do that on multiple plays. It's xbox just keep calling the same plays. :wacko:

So unless the team is winning stats mean nothing? Troy Davis back to back 2000 season don't mean crap because those teams sucked. Most of Barry Sanders and Walter Payton's pro stats are meaningless because their teams were terrible most of the time. <_<

As of this week WE don't have a losing record it is 4-4 and to use the logic of the "Talking heads" after the 02 season that is not a losing season. :sarcasm

Helu by far was the fastest back out there. He was able to turn the corner and gain good yardage. There were many times when Lucky caught a dumpdown pass that there were receivers open downfield. Swift and Hill were open on a couple of different occasions. Don't know why SK isn't throwing them the ball. It was good to see the young kids finally get the ball. Lucky avg 2.9 ypc while Castille had nearly 7 ypc and Helu had nearly 8 ypc.

it is because he doesnt have the time to wait for them to get open. by the time he makes his first and second read the d-line is on him and he has to drop the pass off........or that was the play call in the first place and Lucky was the first read

Oh don't give me that no time BS. SK had plenty of time against A&M. I was at the game. A good pocket was formed and he had 5, 6, or 7 seconds to throw the ball. He would look to one side of the field, lock in on a receiver, then check down to Lucky. Trust me, I wasn't the only fan in the stands that noticed this. Keller was only sacked twice in the game, and I believe both of them came in the second half.

man who crapped in your cereal? the guy gets ripped apart by some on the board.... I dont hear anyone saying "its a team game" but whe he breaks records....

this poor kid cant win

I'm sorry, I guess it goes without saying that its a team game every snap of every game....breaking records or not. But I'll be sure to post that I believe it's a team game with every statement I make.

Marlon Lucky=good back, not great. The NFL wants backs that can actually find the hole and run through it. I realize his coaching while at Nebraska has been absolutely TERRIBLE, but he's not going to be the next big thing in the NFL. He might make some money after NU, but it won't be as much as some would like you to believe!

Exactly. Quick...for all Lucky fanatics out there...how many 100 yard RUSHING games has he had in his career? Now...of those handful of games...how many would you consider as "Good" defenses. Oh...and it's a team game.

Marlon is a pretty dam good reciever. The reason people don't see his numbers is because he is supposed to be a running back. He's not much of a threat there. Have him run up the middle and he just doesn't have that fight, scratch, and claw for that next yard mentality. He has been more of a saftey outlet for a sputtering offense. Everytime they are screwed they dump it to him. The guy has unbelievable speed and this lack of any other offense has helped his numbers greatly. I still think he will go to the pro's but he will not be a RB there.