Watson?

so we all think (know) that cally will be gone at the end of the season. and it seems to be the thought from everyone here that Watson will still be here running the offense...but does anyone know what kind of offense he will run? or will that be up to the new HC? because the West Coast offense is crap and as much as i hate to say it i believe the option style offense that we all grew up wiht and love is all but dead. so does anyone know what he will run? or if it will even be up to him?

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

so we all think (know) that cally will be gone at the end of the season. and it seems to be the thought from everyone here that Watson will still be here running the offense...but does anyone know what kind of offense he will run? or will that be up to the new HC? because the West Coast offense is crap and as much as i hate to say it i believe the option style offense that we all grew up wiht and love is all but dead. so does anyone know what he will run? or if it will even be up to him?

See Colorado offense 2001

I believe Watson would run a simplified WCO with some aspects of the spread offense.

Though I think we should try to run some Sproption like Meyer did at Utah. :woo

Well, I think what we saw in the first half Saturday is what he'd run. A lot of running game, probably with a fair amount of play action and tight end routes.

^^Yeah, like Colorado 2001.

You mean a balanced run/pass offense that teams have been winning with for about 50 years, and not the latest fad? WHAT A NOVEL IDEA!!!

:clap:thumbs:):clap:):thumbs

Well, I think what we saw in the first half Saturday is what he'd run. A lot of running game, probably with a fair amount of play action and tight end routes.

^^Yeah, like Colorado 2001.

Not to get anyones hopes up in any way and not to start any rumors but Pelini stated in an article a while back that he prefers and strong running attack in an offense. I still don't see what everyone sees in Watson. He had one good year with some monster talent at CU. Outside of that I dunno. I'd be curious to see what their numbers looked like and how they ranked offensively while he was at CU

See Colorado offense 2001

remember those yards put up against NU to well

I would be shocked if a new HC wouldn't bring in his own guy. At NU, Watson is tied to BC. He is here if he is named Head Coach. Otherwise....

otherwise, the incoming HC would evaluate him against any other OC canidate. if he's better than who he's looking at from the outside and the HC thinks he'll mesh well with his future plans, then there's a pretty good chance he'll stay.

that's all speculation, of course.

Watson was the QB coach at CU in 1999 and then the OC from 2000-2005.

Here's the offensive stats:

Category - National Rank - Actual - Conf Rank

2000:

Rushing Offense 82 122.00 10

Passing Offense 32 240.00 4

Total Offense 66 362.00 8

Scoring Offense 77 22.91 10

2001:

Rushing Offense 8 228.50 3

Passing Offense 70 205.92 6

Total Offense 20 434.42 2

Scoring Offense 23 33.00 4

2002:

Rushing Offense 9 232.79 3

Passing Offense 106 141.71 11

Total Offense 58 374.50 9

Scoring Offense 51 28.43 9

2003:

Rushing Offense 113 93.50 12

Passing Offense 18 279.25 3

Total Offense 66 372.75 9

Scoring Offense 63 26.58 8

2004:

Rushing Offense 89 124.77 9

Passing Offense 56 215.00 5

Total Offense 85 339.77 9

Scoring Offense 81 23.38 9

2005:

Rushing Offense 97 110.31 9

Passing Offense 59 222.77 6

Total Offense 87 333.08 8

Scoring Offense 78 23.46 9

CU Offense NCAA rankings:

Rushing - 82, 8, 9, 13, 89, 97

Passing - 32, 70, 106, 18, 56, 59

Total - 66, 20, 58, 66, 85, 87

Scoring - 77, 23, 51, 63, 81, 78

Draw your conclusions...

Of course Hack, if he is the best guy for the job he will get the job. But, just like Cally or anyone else entertaining a head coaching position, they already have guys picked out or at least a list. Nobody gets hired as an HC and then starts running around in a panic..."OOHHH I need an OC where are the yellow pages." If Tom is interviewing any candidate and the guy can't tell him his offensive strategy and who he might get to implement it he's out of the picture.

If I go into a job telling them what I can do and they ask how I plan to achieve it, I sure as well can't say "I'll come up with something."