New Head Coach? THREADS - ALL OF THEM

The triple option is not the read option.

There are very few teams that run the triple option anymore. Before you get on my case, why don't you quiz the 100+ coaches who don't run it why they favor a different offensive system?

I'm well aware of the differences between the two schemes, and I'm not on your case. I'm just casually disagreeing with you. As for the other 100+ coaches, there were about 90+ other coaches who wouldn't run it in the 1990s, and we still won three titles in four years with it then.

All I'm saying is that any system can be successful with the right personnel. That's all.

Would love it........tutored under norm Chow.........played at BYU.......was a great quarterback........beat Kjuco in the cotton bowl.......tutored under Carroll...........what is not to like..........I would neck choke my neighbor if we hired him.................... QB recruits galore strong ties to California.........it would be huge IF we got him..........thanks for uplifting my spirits , but I would be totally shocked..........IF WE GOT HIM.

MANCRUSH= Sarkisian MANCRUSH#2= Bo Pelini

Not a Gill fan for HC, but why is it that Sarkisian is getting a bye for never being a HC but it was always used against Turner Gill.

Maybe because Sarkisian is much more qualified?

Guy is what -- 33...not sure he ready for a HC position at a top tier college yet.

Yeah, but how old is the HC for the Pittsburgh Steelers? Age is relative. Pelini is only 7 years his senior. Some/a lot of people wanted him as our HC 4 years ago which would have only made him 36.

Understand, but I also read that people where dismissing Major Applewhite because he is only 30. Now three years can make a difference, but usually a coach that young starts at a mid-major doesn't he?

How old is Lane Kiffin??? He is coaching in the NFL!!!

I've heard alot of people say that Paul Johnson would be a great head coach at Nebraska. I am just wondering...would Paul Johnson would leave Navy if got offered the head job at NU?

Great question. It is, of course, impossible to answer. That said, our best shot is at a great coach (and he is that) that is not currently either well known or at a great program. Expecting coaches from LSU, Georgia, Boise State or any of another 30 -35 programs, all of which are superior to the NU program (at the moment) is unlikely. Why take a step down? But perhaps the best coach out there is Johnson and he is at a program, that while on the rise and solid, is no better than the NU program. Perhaps he would see it as a temporary lateral move (likely for more money) with a greater potential future upside.

Maybe we have a shot at this guy. If so, do backflips of joy. He is a great coach (I know of him well from his Georgia Southern days --- great man, excellent motivator, endlessly inventive --- we could, literally, do no better).

Thanks for that uplifting review of the Nebraska Athletic Program... We could get a coach from just about ANY school, with contracts being a catching point, with TO in the AD seat. Schools like NU, USC, The Ohio State U, Alabama, OU and Texas are DREAM JOBs. You think a coach at Boise State wouldn't give his left nut to coach at Nebraska? You think Bo wouldn't leave a DC position at LSU to be HC at Nebraska. In my opinion, you are incorrect.

:wacko:

Guy is what -- 33...not sure he ready for a HC position at a top tier college yet.

Yeah, but how old is the HC for the Pittsburgh Steelers? Age is relative. Pelini is only 7 years his senior. Some/a lot of people wanted him as our HC 4 years ago which would have only made him 36.

Understand, but I also read that people where dismissing Major Applewhite because he is only 30. Now three years can make a difference, but usually a coach that young starts at a mid-major doesn't he?

How old is Lane Kiffin??? He is coaching in the NFL!!!

Lane is 31. But he is the exception in the NFL.

Not ruling Sarkisian out as a good canidate, just asking the question. Also, do we really want some else who has been affiliated with the Raiders? :)

Would love it........tutored under norm Chow.........played at BYU.......was a great quarterback........beat Kjuco in the cotton bowl.......tutored under Carroll...........what is not to like..........I would neck choke my neighbor if we hired him.................... QB recruits galore strong ties to California.........it would be huge IF we got him..........thanks for uplifting my spirits , but I would be totally shocked..........IF WE GOT HIM.

MANCRUSH= Sarkisian MANCRUSH#2= Bo Pelini

Not a Gill fan for HC, but why is it that Sarkisian is getting a bye for never being a HC but it was always used against Turner Gill.

Maybe because Sarkisian is much more qualified?

to further reiterate my man crush........that would be huge in salvaging recruits......the whole idea of "west coast" offense would stay in tact but we would have someone who made it work in college football. Sarkisian was a qb coach who studied under Lavell Edwards/Norm Chow...........I think those guys know how to make great qbs..........that hire would scare the sh#t out of the rest of the chumscrubbers in the big 12 north.

Too many good points to make but my last one he looks nothing like Mangino.

COACHING EXPERIENCE: 7 years

YEAR TEAM POSITION BOWL

2006 USC Asst. Head Coach/QBs Rose

2005 USC Asst. Head Coach/QBs Rose

2004 Oakland Raiders Quarterbacks -

2003 USC Quarterbacks Rose

2002 USC Quarterbacks Orange

2001 USC Offensive Assistant Las Vegas

2000 El Camino JC Quarterbacks CHIPs For Kids

Okay, here shows off my lack of knowledge again -- bowls games for junior colleges!?! Had no idea these existed.

After a standout baseball and football career at West Torrance High in California, Sarkisian began his collegiate athletic career in 1992 at the University of Southern California (USC) as a member of the Trojan baseball team.

Sarkisian transferred to El Camino Junior College, where he played his first two seasons of college football. As a freshman in 1993, he earned All-Mission Conference honors. In his sophomore season, he was named JC All-American.

In 1995, Sarkisian transferred to Brigham Young University (BYU), and immediately became the team's starting quarterback (he replaced John Walsh, also a graduate of West Torrance High). At BYU, Sarkisian was coached by former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow. As a junior, Sarkisian passed for 3,437 yards and 20 touchdowns, earning All-WAC honors. Sarkisian finished the season in spectacular fashion, completing 31-of-34 passes for 399 yards and 3 touchdowns in BYU's 45-28 victory over Fresno State. His completion percentage in the game (91.2 percent) set an NCAA record. It is notable that two of the three incompletions Sarkisian threw in the game were intentionally thrown out of bounds to avoid the pass rush.

Sarkisian's senior season at BYU was even better. He opened the season by passing for 536 yards and 6 touchdowns in the Cougars' 41-37 upset victory over Texas A&M in the Pigskin Classic. The 536 yards passing were the most ever by a player against Texas A&M's "Wrecking Crew" defense. Sarkisian finished the game with a thrilling 46-yard touchdown pass to K.O. Kealaluhi to seal the victory.

BYU finished the regular season with a 13-1 record, defeating Wyoming 28-25 in the WAC Championship Game. Sarkisian passed for 4,027 yards and 33 touchdowns during the regular season. His 173.6 passer rating led the entire NCAA. For his efforts, he was named WAC Offensive Player of the Year and was 2nd Team NCAA All-American. BYU finished the season with 19-15 win over Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl. Sarkisian threw a pair of TD passes in the fourth quarter to lead the Cougars to the come-from-behind victory. BYU finished the season with a 14-1 record, ranked fifth in the nation in both the AP Poll and Coaches Poll. The Cougars became the first Division I-A team in NCAA history to win 14 games in a single season. Before the Cotton Bowl, Sarkisian was featured on the cover of TV Guide under the line "COUGARS ROAR!" Sarkisian's 162.0 career passing efficiency rating is third on the all-time NCAA list

Sarkisian's coaching career began in 2000, when he returned to El Camino Junior College as quarterbacks coach.

He went to USC, first as an offensive assistant (2001), then as quarterbacks coach (2002 and 2003). Sarkisian was partly responsible for the success enjoyed by Trojan QBs Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart (both developed into Heisman Trophy winners).

In 2004, Sarkisian served as quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League (NFL).

He returned to USC for the 2005 season, now with the title of Assistant Head Coach (in addition to his duties as quarterbacks coach).

In January 2007, Sarkisian interviewed with the Oakland Raiders for their vacant Head Coach position but pulled himself out of the running and decided to stay at USC. Sarkisian was named to replace Lane Kiffin as USC's Offensive Coordinator when Kiffin took the head coaching job of the Oakland Raiders.

Pharoah are you developing a amncrush???

After a standout baseball and football career at West Torrance High in California, Sarkisian began his collegiate athletic career in 1992 at the University of Southern California (USC) as a member of the Trojan baseball team.

Sarkisian transferred to El Camino Junior College, where he played his first two seasons of college football. As a freshman in 1993, he earned All-Mission Conference honors. In his sophomore season, he was named JC All-American.

In 1995, Sarkisian transferred to Brigham Young University (BYU), and immediately became the team's starting quarterback (he replaced John Walsh, also a graduate of West Torrance High). At BYU, Sarkisian was coached by former USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow. As a junior, Sarkisian passed for 3,437 yards and 20 touchdowns, earning All-WAC honors. Sarkisian finished the season in spectacular fashion, completing 31-of-34 passes for 399 yards and 3 touchdowns in BYU's 45-28 victory over Fresno State. His completion percentage in the game (91.2 percent) set an NCAA record. It is notable that two of the three incompletions Sarkisian threw in the game were intentionally thrown out of bounds to avoid the pass rush.

Sarkisian's senior season at BYU was even better. He opened the season by passing for 536 yards and 6 touchdowns in the Cougars' 41-37 upset victory over Texas A&M in the Pigskin Classic. The 536 yards passing were the most ever by a player against Texas A&M's "Wrecking Crew" defense. Sarkisian finished the game with a thrilling 46-yard touchdown pass to K.O. Kealaluhi to seal the victory.

BYU finished the regular season with a 13-1 record, defeating Wyoming 28-25 in the WAC Championship Game. Sarkisian passed for 4,027 yards and 33 touchdowns during the regular season. His 173.6 passer rating led the entire NCAA. For his efforts, he was named WAC Offensive Player of the Year and was 2nd Team NCAA All-American. BYU finished the season with 19-15 win over Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl. Sarkisian threw a pair of TD passes in the fourth quarter to lead the Cougars to the come-from-behind victory. BYU finished the season with a 14-1 record, ranked fifth in the nation in both the AP Poll and Coaches Poll. The Cougars became the first Division I-A team in NCAA history to win 14 games in a single season. Before the Cotton Bowl, Sarkisian was featured on the cover of TV Guide under the line "COUGARS ROAR!" Sarkisian's 162.0 career passing efficiency rating is third on the all-time NCAA list

Sarkisian's coaching career began in 2000, when he returned to El Camino Junior College as quarterbacks coach.

He went to USC, first as an offensive assistant (2001), then as quarterbacks coach (2002 and 2003). Sarkisian was partly responsible for the success enjoyed by Trojan QBs Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart (both developed into Heisman Trophy winners).

In 2004, Sarkisian served as quarterbacks coach for the Oakland Raiders of the National Football League (NFL).

He returned to USC for the 2005 season, now with the title of Assistant Head Coach (in addition to his duties as quarterbacks coach).

In January 2007, Sarkisian interviewed with the Oakland Raiders for their vacant Head Coach position but pulled himself out of the running and decided to stay at USC. Sarkisian was named to replace Lane Kiffin as USC's Offensive Coordinator when Kiffin took the head coaching job of the Oakland Raiders.

Pharoah are you developing a amncrush???

spelling: mancrush

This team needs a fiery defensive head coach not an O coordinator. Shawn Watson or whoever else they call in to be the OC will be fine. TO knows that this team lacks fire and we all know that defensive coaches are the ones who bring the pain. Lets get someone in who brings a physical presence, the offense will just feed off that. Bo Pelini for Head Coach!!

I've heard alot of people say that Paul Johnson would be a great head coach at Nebraska. I am just wondering...would Paul Johnson would leave Navy if got offered the head job at NU?

Great question. It is, of course, impossible to answer. That said, our best shot is at a great coach (and he is that) that is not currently either well known or at a great program. Expecting coaches from LSU, Georgia, Boise State or any of another 30 -35 programs, all of which are superior to the NU program (at the moment) is unlikely. Why take a step down? But perhaps the best coach out there is Johnson and he is at a program, that while on the rise and solid, is no better than the NU program. Perhaps he would see it as a temporary lateral move (likely for more money) with a greater potential future upside.

Maybe we have a shot at this guy. If so, do backflips of joy. He is a great coach (I know of him well from his Georgia Southern days --- great man, excellent motivator, endlessly inventive --- we could, literally, do no better).

Thanks for that uplifting review of the Nebraska Athletic Program... We could get a coach from just about ANY school, with contracts being a catching point, with TO in the AD seat. Schools like NU, USC, The Ohio State U, Alabama, OU and Texas are DREAM JOBs. You think a coach at Boise State wouldn't give his left nut to coach at Nebraska? You think Bo wouldn't leave a DC position at LSU to be HC at Nebraska. In my opinion, you are incorrect.

:wacko:

Peterson at BSU would not leave BSU for NU. That program has won 90% of its games over the past 5 years, has the best winning percentage in the nation (I think) over that time (if not it is top 3), is on TV now as the feature team 4 or more times a year, and that program is on fire. He is the toast of town --- he is in a wonderful location within the country, etc. He, if he leaves, will go to a major program. So he will sit tight and wait on only a real jewel of a job. That said, of course I could be wrong. Hawkins left there for CU whose program was no better when he took over than is NU's is now (comparable anyway)). So you could be right. I'd not hold my breath though.

As for Pelini. I think he too can afford to wait for a better option.

The NU position has a lot of downside to it --- and a lot of upside too. That is, it is very risky. Established coaches typically need not take such risks. Though some thrive on it. You just never know.

Time will tell. And, perhaps TO will help.