Bowl game question.......

Obviously our chances at a bowl game are dim, but after the Husker's great effort against Texas, who knows, maybe we could surprise a couple teams. That said, here's my question: some of us want to not make a bowl game to get rid of Callahan, but what about the younger players? Would it be worth it to make a bowl game to get guys like our young recievers, backs, and linebackers an extra month of practice? Or would it be better to lose and just move on to the next staff and maybe salvage some recruits?

That extra month of practice is a great learning tool for younger players, but does it really matter if the coaching staff is on it's way out after the bowl game? I gotta admit, I'm torn here.

1. nothing is saving Callahan

2. probably won't make bowl

3 if we make a bowl, it will be without Callahan anyway

I want a bowl game. I'm pulling for Ganz and the team to win out.

It is impossible to not want the Huskers to win. It's just not in my mindset.

I want the team to win the rest of their games bottom line. Callahan is gone regardless. GO BIG RED! :thumbs

Obviously our chances at a bowl game are dim, but after the Husker's great effort against Texas, who knows, maybe we could surprise a couple teams. That said, here's my question: some of us want to not make a bowl game to get rid of Callahan, but what about the younger players? Would it be worth it to make a bowl game to get guys like our young recievers, backs, and linebackers an extra month of practice? Or would it be better to lose and just move on to the next staff and maybe salvage some recruits?

That extra month of practice is a great learning tool for younger players, but does it really matter if the coaching staff is on it's way out after the bowl game? I gotta admit, I'm torn here.

I want to make a bowl game. I want to have something to look forward to during the holidays. I don't want college football to end for me the day after Thanksgiving.

Normally, I would say it is a good thing for the younger players to get that extra month of practice. However looking at the older players and how little they've learned from this staff, do you really think that extra month will benefit the young guys?

At this juncture, I'm not that concerned about the 08 recruiting class. We have some good young RB's already. We have some good young QB's. We have some good young WR's. I'm guessing we hire a defensive minded coach, so I think we can still get some good D recruits. Making a bowl game in spite of how the season has went would be one of the few brights spots this year. Finishing near the bottom of the Big 12 with no bowl really does nothing positive for us at all.

I'm sorry, I thought it read like you were talking about THIS team making a bowl game THIS year. I need to get my eyes checked.

Seriously....do I want NU to win out? Yes. Do I think they will? No. Even if they did, the whole staff (or at least parts) will be gone an hour after Colorado, and the assistants can do the coaching for a post season game....even if it is just a pick-up game against Iowa.

I'm sorry, I thought it read like you were talking about THIS team making a bowl game THIS year. I need to get my eyes checked.

Seriously....do I want NU to win out? Yes. Do I think they will? No. Even if they did, the whole staff (or at least parts) will be gone an hour after Colorado, and the assistants can do the coaching for a post season game....even if it is just a pick-up game against Iowa.

i highly doubt the staff will be gone anywhere near that quick... bowl or no bowl.. TO said he will wait until the end of the season to evaluate the staff.. even though most of us feel he already knows that cally n co are gone, he will stick to his word and evaluate everything after the season.. an hour after the game on a friday after thanksgiving is not the time to hold a press conference announcing the firing of the coaching staff.. it would happen the monday after at earliest..

i highly doubt the staff will be gone anywhere near that quick... bowl or no bowl.. TO said he will wait until the end of the season to evaluate the staff.. even though most of us feel he already knows that cally n co are gone, he will stick to his word and evaluate everything after the season.. an hour after the game on a friday after thanksgiving is not the time to hold a press conference announcing the firing of the coaching staff.. it would happen the monday after at earliest..

I love how literal everyone takes everything. My point is that regardless what happens the rest of this season. The major pieces of what has gone wrong will be gone....officially....we all know they are gone as of now.

Hey mods...here's a contest idea for you. Let's do a 'Contest Crib' predicting the exact day and time of when the press conference will be announcing that Callahan is gone. Or just an over under on how many days after the Colorado game. I'd put the over/under at 4 days.

although i think Tom would prefer to wait several weeks after the CU game to name a new HC, i supect he understands the urgency of getting one named asap, due to the recruiting situation.

however.. recruiting cannot be the final decision in everything.. we will lose recruits no matter what.. we already have.. losing 1/3 of our recruits in a coaching change is not unusual.. depending who are the targets are for head coach.. if he wants to take his time with the decision and let the current staff stay on IF we were to make a bowl game that is possible.. because we will more than likely have to wait for our future coach to finish his bowl game before we make too much contact...