All this might be good for husker nation

NPhusker

We are worse now than we were his first year. He got a pass the first couple of years because he was still getting his players. Now, 80+ % of the team is his players and we are worse. Coming into this season, just about everyone was excited about it. There's not much excitement left. I don't think anyone thought that we'd be in the cellar of the Big 12 this year.

We are worse now than we were his first year. He got a pass the first couple of years because he was still getting his players. Now, 80+ % of the team is his players and we are worse. Coming into this season, just about everyone was excited about it. There's not much excitement left. I don't think anyone thought that we'd be in the cellar of the Big 12 this year.

That's not exactly true. I just heard on 1620 tonight that 13 of 22 starters are Solich recruits. I'm just sayin' . . .

That's not exactly true. I just heard on 1620 tonight that 13 of 22 starters are Solich recruits. I'm just sayin' . . .

What does that say for Callahan's super recruits, if they're not good enough to play? That is like Bush continually blaming the country's problems on Clinton.

Until they start losing. Same old cycle.

Do you really think we can sink lower than this. I would hope we never sink to the Notre Dame level.

What you just said is really putting this in context. What you said would have been unheard of two years ago, but the reality of it is here.

Just think, Nebraska being discussed in this context and nobody wanting to be like Notre Dame. Are you kidding me Notre Dame the model you don't won't to be. Nebraska and Notre Dame being discussed for playing bad football? Unheard of! Blasphemy! Your statement speaks to the sea change that is college football today.

This maybe the craziest year in college football. South Florida was ranked in the top five. Who is South Florida? What part of the great college football tradition have they been? None, but they have a darn good football team. BC ranked 2nd, and they're really that good. (well maybe). Appalachian beats Michigan in the big house. Stanford beats USC in the coliseum. Whats going on in football land?

Keep in mind these are not normal times in college football. Although this doesn't help what you Huskers are going through, it does mean you are not the only fans of great traditions scratching their heads wondering whats going on. Look at Miami and Florida State. Louisville is in disbelief.

When we were horrible in the 1990's you guys were great. So I got a measure of satisfaction watching you win. Last week was a real downer for me. We lost and you lost. What can a guy do when both his teams lose? (I realize many of you have problems with my football fan schozophrenia, but there is no know treatment for it)

We always talk about how you can't always be on top, but when it happens it just plain sucks. It doesn't matter how much you understand the process or how much hope you have for the future, it just plain sucks. So hang in there guys!

What does that say for Callahan's super recruits, if they're not good enough to play? That is like Bush continually blaming the country's problems on Clinton.

No it comes down to Cally being to freakin stubborn to start freshman. It makes no sense either because Castille should be getting way more playing time. (There are many other examples) <_<

No it comes down to Cally being to freakin stubborn to start freshman. It makes no sense either because Castille should be getting way more playing time. (There are many other examples)

I think Cally doesnt play these frosh because they dont know his 20 pound playbook front to back yet, and in practice this shows up, with Castille it is different because i think he actually knows what he is doing casuse our running game is so simple. The reason Castille isnt out there starting is because i would put money down that Callahan promised Lucky a the starting spot when he came here. Last year when B-Jax was tearing it up and became the starter Lucky told the coaches he was going to quit and go home, Cally begged him to stay and i would bet that he told him he was guarenteed atleast 50% of the snaps and that is why Jackson left for the NFL.

Also Castille has trouble holding onto the football sometimes but i would take that risk of a turnover with someone who runs as hard as he does.

Who exactly are these 13 starters that were Solich recruits? The only ones they could be is redshirt seniors because BC is in year 4. On offense, none of the RB's or QB's are Solich recruits. Only maybe 1 or 2 OL could be Solich recruits. Only Nunn as a WR, but he decommited when Solich was fired and BC brought him back so I don't know where to put him. On D, the DL is all BC recruits aren't they? The LB's 2 of them are Solich recruits. For DB's isn't only one of them a Solich recruit?

Remember Cally wasn't signed until very late, the 13 are determined as Solich recruits because they were recruited (not necessarily signed) by Solich and they still came to NU despite Solich leaving.

The other issue (this was discussed on the same program talking about 13 out of 22 starters being Solich recruits) is the JUco's. Cally has relied extremely heavily on JuCo's, and they were saying it is a band aid approach. There is typically a reason a guy plays JuCo instead of Div. 1 as a freshman........they come with some sort of baggage (not always, but normally, Rozier was an obvious exception).

My opinion, Cally utilizes a NFL mentality, even as it relates to recruiting. Of course we as fans, did not help this. How many people would have supported this regime if they would have come out and said we will be towards the bottom until we can fully stock our shelves with incoming H/S players, and due to the complexity of our schemes, these athletes won't play until their Jr. or Sr. year.

Lastly, I think too much emphasis has been placed (by Cally and a lot of the fans) on Rivals or Scouts star recruit rankings. That doesn't relate to wins and loses, but rather only satisfies the fans and media.

Coaches need to coach. They need to be flexible, adaptable, likeable and passionate.

You can't coach college football with a stubborn mentality. As well, to expect kids (who go to school full time) to be able to learn new techniques, schemes and game plans while only practicing 3 days a week, and none of those in full out situations, is unrealistic.

I've supported( and still do) the entire team and coaches, however, this isn't a business, this is college athletics at the highest level. There is a significant difference.

My desire for a new H/C: Do not hire anybody elses reject (Cally was fired remember). I'm not in favor personally, of an NFL coach, however, to me proven, consistent and recent success (not being fired or failing) is more important to me than a name. Success breeds success.....it's contagious.

I'm also not totally opposed to an "up and comer" but, I believe they must have been associated with Success. Pelini (I'm not convinced is the savior) although his 3 teams he's been associated with in college have experienced success...that's a good start.

Gill - I'm not so convinced on. Former NU tradition isn't going to guarantee success going forward. He is making progress at Buffalo, but let him go for a couple more years.....then maybe.

My rant is over....with not a whole lot of point to it

Who exactly are these 13 starters that were Solich recruits? The only ones they could be is redshirt seniors because BC is in year 4. On offense, none of the RB's or QB's are Solich recruits. Only maybe 1 or 2 OL could be Solich recruits. Only Nunn as a WR, but he decommited when Solich was fired and BC brought him back so I don't know where to put him. On D, the DL is all BC recruits aren't they? The LB's 2 of them are Solich recruits. For DB's isn't only one of them a Solich recruit?

green and grixby... for DB's.. maybe bowman is being thrown into that 13 also? its possible but i dont know for sure.....

Who exactly are these 13 starters that were Solich recruits
?

The ones i can think off the top of my head are, DB's Tierre Green, Courtney Grixby, LB's- Bo Ruud, Cory Mckeon and Lance Brandenburgh, WR's- Terrence Nunn and Nate Swift, TE's- J.B. Philips, Josh Mueller, OL- Brett Byford, Anyd Christensen, Mike Huff

Nate Swift, Terrence Nunn, Courtney Grixby, Andy Christensen, and Mike Huff were all apart of Callahan's firts class but all these guys were either committed to Solich or were strong leans towards Nebraska before Callahan stepped in.

A few others that i jsut looked up that signed with Callahan but were recruited by Solich also were Ty Steinkuhler, Clayton Seivers, and Lydon Murtha.

So that is actually 15 players that Solich recruited or was in the process of recruiting that are playing major roles for NU right now.

P.S. Bowman was apart of Callahan's second class and was never recruited by Solich