WHY WE NEED A DEFENSIVE HEAD COACH!!

W/O great recruiting the defensive head coaches programs go up and down.

1. Tressel, offensive coach with a great recruiting base in Ohio. He hires great DCs, but his offense is versatile and meshes to talent.

2. Carroll, used to DC is own defense, last two years has given it to Holt. Holt's defenses don't produce TOs. Offense has been run by Chow, Kiffin and now Sarkesian. They run the WC offense, but with a zone running scheme, so they are more like the Broncos than the 49ers of old. Face it, he has CA and the entirenation to draw from, and gets to 5 classes each year.

3. Stoops is a coach that has hired his brother, and Venables. Mike was a great DC, OU defenses under Venable and Pelini are no where near those that Mike had. Offense has evolved from spread to a more multiple offense with the power I and 3 TE sets. Despite losing Leach, Mangino, Long, he has managed to develop some top notch college QB, while Bomar was the only big time QB recruit. This guys has the state of Texas as his base and the nation.

I think these are the three best coaches there are. I'm a UT grad and a Mack Brown hater! He is to much like a politician, but he wins big, while he waters down his non-conference schedule and is a glass is half full guy. He is known for not developing talent and is the beneficiary of sitting in the goldmine of the big 12/Austin and the top recruiting state in the nation. Texas produces more D1 players than any other state! His defenses range from average to great, and the same for his offenses. He has never won any sort of title in 23 years, save for what he was "gifted" by VY! He is John Cooper and Phil Fulmer, a great recruter, but not a great coach. He is another offensive minded coach, and his offenses have usually been known for putting up points, but dying in the big games.

I'm not talking about any other program, I'm talking about Nebraska. I could care less about Ohio State, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, Tennesee or whoever else you think wins because they have more talent. I wanna see a Blackshirt team that plays with some intensity and flies to the football. When are we going to learn that defense wins championships. Yes, TO was an offensive coach but he relied heavily on his defense to force turnovers and put up defensive points, and I guarantee you he didn't have any Rivals or Scout Top 10 recruiting classes. He won it with guys who bought into an aggresive system and played every down with their heart and some nuts. I'm sick and tired of seeing this years defense get run ragged by the same f@*ken plays week in and week out. We need a change and a change that should include a defensive head coach. We can always bring in an offensive mastermind to put a few pts on the board. What we can't do right now is stop other teams and that needs to be halted immediately!!

100% correct!

Two comments -

1. Self-Deception. The team reflects the views and values of the coaches. BC stated recently that he had done "an excellent job in all aspects of the game." The defense took weeks to decide that it didn't deserve to wear their Blackshirts. The point - this NU team judges itself by a standard that the fans don't see or agree to. My guess is that the HC on down thinks they are pretty good because of their Rivals star rating or their NFL style practices or their NFL prospects. Using those standards they are a pretty good team.

2. Recruiting Rating vs Actual Performance. I took the average of the last 4 recruiting years and ranked the teams. Based on this approach we should have: #1 USC, #5 FSU, #6 Miami, #12 TA&M #16 Notre Dame and #19 NEBRASKA. These teams are obviously underperforming.

There are surprises the other way... these teams are overperforming: #22 Ariz St, #33 Boston College, #37 Missouri, #47 West Virginia and #48 KANSAS.

Obviously the missing elements are coaching, player development, team chemistry and desire.

Two comments -

1. Self-Deception. The team reflects the views and values of the coaches. BC stated recently that he had done "an excellent job in all aspects of the game." The defense took weeks to decide that it didn't deserve to wear their Blackshirts. The point - this NU team judges itself by a standard that the fans don't see or agree to. My guess is that the HC on down thinks they are pretty good because of their Rivals star rating or their NFL style practices or their NFL prospects. Using those standards they are a pretty good team.

2. Recruiting Rating vs Actual Performance. I took the average of the last 4 recruiting years and ranked the teams. Based on this approach we should have: #1 USC, #5 FSU, #6 Miami, #12 TA&M #16 Notre Dame and #19 NEBRASKA. These teams are obviously underperforming.

There are surprises the other way... these teams are overperforming: #22 Ariz St, #33 Boston College, #37 Missouri, #47 West Virginia and #48 KANSAS.

Obviously the missing elements are coaching, player development, team chemistry and desire.

Nice Research!! Just goes to show, just because someone is said to be talented doesn't exactly mean they can perform. It takes coaching, preparation, and heart. Hopefully we can get some of that back!!

It's funny how the argument has now been turned around. Some on here at least 2 years ago made the same comments about how recruiting doesn't always equate to success on the field. They were flamed by everyone trying to statistically prove them wrong. College football has more parts than just recruiting. You can give a horrible coach the best talent in the world, and he/she will figure out a way to still lose with it.

Two comments -

Good Post. :yeah

Two comments -

Good Post. :yeah

I have to agree, you can bring in the best players in the nation but at this level you have to still teach fundimentals and get these kids to believe they are the best. That starts in practice where you hit hit and hit more, no frickin patty cake BS

This team needs to get and play with an attitude. star rankings will get you no where.

You don't have to have a defensive HC to have a good defense--you just need to have the right guy running the defense.

That's right. Also, I would guess that the defense isn't as horrible as they are playing. Football is won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Our D line is terrible. They are getting manhandled. Either backs are running untouched to our second and third level or a qb has all day to throw. It is a lot easier to come up on run support and tatoo a guy on a three yard gain when you think it will possibly be three and out and a rest on the bench is soon to follow while your O has the ball. But when teams are running over 100 plays or averaging a first down per play, as some (most) teams have, and you have a sinking feeling you are not getting off the field until after the extra point, you WILL be more reluctant to disregard your body on a tackle. You are also on your heels chasing guys from a bad angle instead of attacking. It is hard to be aggressive when your like that. What NU did against Texas was smart, but what took so long? Everyone tackled better because the tackle could actually lead to the other team not scoring and our maybe winning the game. It is not hard to imagine a guy deciding to arm tackle what will be a 12 yard gain anyway. Until we get some studs on the line we will just have to keep taking chances with blitzes and the like. :restore

This Defense absolutely positively sucks!!! To be ranked 114th in the country after being one of the better defenses is pathetic. The only people that are responsible for this is the coaches...FIRE THEM ALL!!

I want a clean start, I want to see the Blackshirts earn the name. Blackshirts have been given out too freely in recent years. It is time for everyone to have to earn one, not just get one because your a starter.

^

Actually, the biggest problem with this defense is that we no longer have the front 4 as we did last year.

If you saw McKeon, you would understand his biggest problem is that he will NOT take on a block, he would rather run around the block, giving up his gap. During his sophmore year, he had Titus and LeKevin eating up blocks in front of him, allowing him to play in space. That's no knock on Barry and Ola, they were just not as good as the previous DT's before them.

Now this year, you see the OLB's facing the same problems with Adam and Jay gone. No longer can they place in space and pursue, while those guys get the attention of the offensive lineman.

The single biggest problem across our defense is that our LB's are completely and positively soft. As far as athletes, those guys are fantastic -- but as far as having that old hard nosed, but someone in the mouth attitude, NONE of them have it.

I don't even really wanna get into Barry Turner and how he has been manhandled this year by single blocks, but that is for another day.

All in all, the defensive coaches are a problem, simply because they have simply not adjusted anything on defense until last week. But the lack of aggression on a lot of the players part is another huge and glaring problem we have on this team, as much as it is the coaches.

Wow...it took these statistics to realize how really bad the defense is:

Rushing Defense

Nebraska - 119th

Iowa State - 42nd

Passing Defense

Nebraska - 63rd

Iowa State - 74th

Total Defense

Nebraska - 107th

Iowa State - 49th

Sacks

Nebraska - 112th

Iowa State - 75th

Tackles for Lose

Nebraska - 93rd

Iowa State - 86th

It gets even worse when you realize those numbers even relect the totals from ISU's 5 game death march through Nebraska, Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri.

And you guys complain about becoming "Iowa State West"??? Looks like it's something you should aspire to...not complain about. And if an ISU guy can comment on how bad your defense is...you know it blows.

Wow...it took these statistics to realize how really bad the defense is:

Rushing Defense

Nebraska - 119th

Iowa State - 42nd

Passing Defense

Nebraska - 63rd

Iowa State - 74th

Total Defense

Nebraska - 107th

Iowa State - 49th

Sacks

Nebraska - 112th

Iowa State - 75th

Tackles for Lose

Nebraska - 93rd

Iowa State - 86th

It gets even worse when you realize those numbers even relect the totals from ISU's 5 game death march through Nebraska, Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri.

And you guys complain about becoming "Iowa State West"??? Looks like it's something you should aspire to...not complain about. And if an ISU guy can comment on how bad your defense is...you know it blows.

Ouch! That hurts. :nutz