Pelini's LSU defense giving up big points!

rkhufu7

I don't know that the final score is always a reflection of the way his defense has played. For example, last night, 7 of Alabama's points were on a punt return, and Flynn threw 3 INTs that gave them great field position. That's been a problem for LSU lately--giving the ball up and spotting the other team great field position. There's only so much a D can do when the other team gets that many shots near your red zone.

And when the team needed a big play, the defense was there every time in the 4th quarter. Those players are motivated to make plays at all costs. We need a monster safety like Steltz at UNL. Did anybody see his "game-winning" hit last night??

I don't know that the final score is always a reflection of the way his defense has played. For example, last night, 7 of Alabama's points were on a punt return, and Flynn threw 3 INTs that gave them great field position. That's been a problem for LSU lately--giving the ball up and spotting the other team great field position. There's only so much a D can do when the other team gets that many shots near your red zone.

And when the team needed a big play, the defense was there every time in the 4th quarter. Those players are motivated to make plays at all costs. We need a monster safety like Steltz at UNL. Did anybody see his "game-winning" hit last night??

Exactly, watch the game instead of seeing the score. 2 or 3 times Alabama had to go a short distance to score because of turn overs by the offense. HE defense was flying around all over. Fun to watch.

:yeah Give the cruddiest offense in the world the ball inside the 25 yard line that many times and they will come away with points. It's how Kansas State beat Texas, too.

Very true. It wasn't Pelini's defense that gave up the ball to Alabama. See the 4th quarter like captain obvious says. Especially the last few minutes. That is a nasty, hungry, motivated defense.

I'll be glad to have "that" DC here with his system!

Very true. It wasn't Pelini's defense that gave up the ball to Alabama. See the 4th quarter like captain obvious says. Especially the last few minutes. That is a nasty, hungry, motivated defense.

Last 4 games they have given up, 24, 43, 24 and 34! That's a lot of points! You guys that want Pelini can't give a viable argument why he should be hired over BETTER DCs like Venables, Strong or other coaches like Leavitt, Schiano or Gill! His defense was hyped early, but they have been getting rolled the last 4 games!

Last 4 games they have given up, 24, 43, 24 and 34! That's a lot of points! You guys that want Pelini can't give a viable argument why he should be hired over BETTER DCs like Venables, Strong or other coaches like Leavitt, Schiano or Gill! His defense was hyped early, but they have been getting rolled the last 4 games!

Hey, atleast he hasnt given up 76 pts!!

LSU has been giving up big points in the last month or so! What's the problem?

Watch the games-- not saying that they're holding teams to 0, but a number of those scores came off of huge turnover/kick returns. Bama ran a punt/kick for a TD (I don't remember which it was), and last game, there was an INT returned to LSU's 5. Really, the defense has been the only reason that they're winning.

EDIT- Okay, I swear that I saw an INT returned to the 5, but I'm not able to find it on ESPN, so I might be confused. But I am finding a lot of short-field situations followed by FGs. Hmm :)

I'll admit that your point crossed my mind. LSU's D hasnt quite been the shutdown D they were billed as. My thinking with Pelini is that he's a strong disciplinarian and will light a fire under NU's D. With a bit more talent and the right coaching, the current D could be really strong. Other good options do exist; Pelini isnt a god. But my immediate concern is the defensive and I'd prefer a defensive minded coach over someone that may bring in a good offense, but can't find an assistant to put a good D out there; kind of like a Texas Tech.

I'll admit that your point crossed my mind. LSU's D hasnt quite been the shutdown D they were billed as. My thinking with Pelini is that he's a strong disciplinarian and will light a fire under NU's D. With a bit more talent and the right coaching, the current D could be really strong. Other good options do exist; Pelini isnt a god. But my immediate concern is the defensive and I'd prefer a defensive minded coach over someone that may bring in a good offense, but can't find an assistant to put a good D out there; kind of like a Texas Tech.

Tressel is an offensive coach and his defenses look pretty good, same went for Florida last year!

Ya, imagine that. LSU's defense gave up some points during their 4 toughest games of the year.

Florida, Kentucky, Alabama, & Auburn. All schools that were ranked in the top 20 at game time.

I'd LOVE to know why you think that Venables or Strong are better DCs than Bo Pelini? Do you have any supporting facts to back up your beliefs or is if just your opinion?

How come when LSU comes with an all out blitz they get a fumble recovery inside Alabama's 5 yard line...

BUT when we come out with an all out blitz the Longhorns score an easy touchdown? :dunno I definately wouldn't mind having some of that defense's speed and heart on our team.

because we blitzed every play, and they knew it was coming? and we did get some turnovers because of the blitz