Rank Your Potential Candidates

This is a list of the Potential Candidates from HI, obviously these aren't the only coaches we will probably look at, but just use these name and rank them with 1 being the highest.

Turner Gill (Buffalo)

Joe Glenn (Wyoming)

Jim Grobe (Wake Forest)

Paul Johnson (Navy)

Brian Kelly (Cincinnati)

Jim Leavitt (USF)

Bo Pelini (DC LSU)

Gary Patterson (TCU)

Bobby Petrino (Atlanta Falcons)

Greg Schiano (Rutgers)

Kevin Steele (Alabama, I think he's a DC correct me if I'm wrong)

Heres my list...

1. Jim Leavitt

2. Greg Schiano

3. Bo Pelini

4. Paul Johnson

5. Turner Gill

6. Bobby Petrino

7. Jim Grobe

8. Brian Kelly

9. Kevin Stelle

10. Gary Patterson

11. Joe Glenn

You'll see a common theme here. I favor coaches who have done better than expected in difficult circumstances and who would excel if given a chance with a program like Nebraska. My top guys do lots with very little talent, and play to the strengths of what they have.

Brian Kelly (Cincinnati) - Excellent coach at a small school. Exciting offense.

Joe Glenn (Wyoming) - Another excellent coach - has done more with no talent at Wyoming than anyone could have hoped.

Paul Johnson (Navy) - A great coach at a school where recruiting is difficult.

Turner Gill (Buffalo) - Young coach with tons of potential - has done a lot at Buffalo, which would be a recruiting nightmare (like recruiting kids to play in Siberia).

Bo Pelini (DC LSU) - A great DC - is he really ready to be a head coach?

Kevin Steele - Great recruiter - Baylor project was a problem

Jim Grobe (Wake Forest) - Unlikely

Jim Leavitt (USF) - Not leaving SF

Gary Patterson (TCU) - Good Texas connections, but would take A/M interview first.

Bobby Petrino (Atlanta Falcons) - Not coming back to college after one rough year.

Greg Schiano (Rutgers) - Waiting for JoPa to die.

I'm very greatfull that this is not my decision. I think I would get a team of people together and by commitee research all of the candidates. Then try to make the best educated decision that I could. There is alot that will go into this decision and I for one do not see any coach coming in and emediately making this team turn completely around. It will take a bit (I hope). That way they will be long term here and not be drawn away after 2-3 years. Thats my 2 cents on this. (and about what it is worth) :thumbs

I think I read some where that Joe Glen has taken 7 programs from losing to winning programs. He is from Lincoln and is a good friend of Tom's.

He is a great motivator and very loyal and dedicated to his staff.

He has the ties and the experience. He seems the best to me at this time.

Again as long as Pelini is not even considered I will be happy. He comes here, it will be nothing but bad for the program. Pederson and him are on the same level for me.

Turner Gill (Buffalo) - Has a shot at the job, I dont know if he is the right guy though, he cant be any worse than what we have now.

Joe Glenn (Wyoming) - I dont know much about him to be honest, but the judging by Wyoming's final records, I dont think he is the man for the job. If we are taking someone from a mid-major, he damn well better be a slam dunk like Meyer. I dont see Glenn as anything close to Meyer.

Jim Grobe (Wake Forest) - I cant see him leaving WF. Good coach though.

Paul Johnson (Navy) - I dont get the love affair some are having with him. He isnt an option guy, he runs whatever he has the talent for, he was the OC at Hawaii. Now I understand Navy will never have blue chips, but losing to 1-AA Delaware and the struggle vs the horrid ND team does not exactly fill me with confidence.

Brian Kelly (Cincinnati) - His first year at Cincy, no way does he leave after just one year.

Jim Leavitt (USF) - I have better odds of winning Powerball that NU does of luring him away from South Florida. He is a god there, and his path to the BCS is shorter than it is in the Big 12.

Bo Pelini (DC LSU) - Probably my #1 right now. I like what I have seen from him.

Gary Patterson (TCU) - before this season i would have been more keen on him. TCU looks just about average right now. I cant tell how much of it is recruiting cycles for TCU, but they seem to have a stinker of a season about every 3rd. Though they have had more 10 win seasons than NU has in the last 6 or 7 years. Of the names listed here, he is my #2.

Bobby Petrino (Atlanta Falcons) - No thanks.

Greg Schiano (Rutgers) - He will not leave Rutgers.

Kevin Steele (Alabama, I think he's a DC correct me if I'm wrong) - Pass. The time he spent at Baylor was enough for me to see.