Remember When

T_O_Bull

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

Remember when we used to count pancake blocks?

Remember when we had Outland and Lombardi Trophy candidates almost every year?

Remember when Coach Epply used to build linemen out of kids who came from small towns and played 9 man football?

How I miss those days.

Football teams have 9 foundation blocks... 5 Offensive Linemen and 4 Defensive Linemen.

...T_O_B

Remember when Coach Epply used to build linemen out of kids who came from small towns and played 9 man football?

How I miss those days.

Football teams have 9 foundation blocks... 5 Offensive Linemen and 4 Defensive Linemen.

...T_O_B

Those were the days..........*sigh*

How I miss those days.

...T_O_B

Actually it was 8 man football. But, yeah, those were the days, and will be again.

:bonez:bonezdedhoarsededhoarse

Sorry for the error nine man is or has been played in Iowa, Minnesota, and both the Dakotas. Six and Eight man are played in Nebraska.

Discounting the trivial things that some people seem to be obsessed with the theme of the thread is that I really miss seeing guys from small town America come to Nebraska and succeed on a stage that they dreamed of while they were growing up.

...T_O_B

I know they have eight-man in Nebraska and Iowa (played it there), but up here in Minnesota, they indeed do have 9 man football.

That's because it's Minnesota...you need the extra guy for when your DB gets lost in the snow or carried off by giant mosquitos.

:)

One thing we can all agree on is that Minnesotans are fun to tease.

Besides the happy memories, its good to remember WHY those linemen from small towns (often walk-ons) developed into All-Americans and award winners.

1) They had a desire to play for NU that more than compensated for their physical talent.

2) The NU football staff welcomed them to try out.

3) The NU coaches that had the skills to coach and took the time to develop them.

This approach was unique to Nebraska and I believe that TO will look for a coaching staff that believes in this approach and will try it again. :)

Besides the happy memories, its good to remember WHY those linemen from small towns (often walk-ons) developed into All-Americans and award winners.

1) They had a desire to play for NU that more than compensated for their physical talent.

2) The NU football staff welcomed them to try out.

3) The NU coaches that had the skills to coach and took the time to develop them.

This approach was unique to Nebraska and I believe that TO will look for a coaching staff that believes in this approach and will try it again. :)

I would add one.

4) They did'nt have to be 6'4" 320 pounds to be able to play for Nebraska. How many players has Nebraska passed up since they did'nt fit the mold? Would either of these guys have made the team or even been recruited by this staff if they came out now?

Shields, Will OG 6-2 265 Fr. Lawton, Okla. (Lawton)

Graham, Aaron C 6-3 280 Jr. Denton, Texas (Denton)