Why this win shows Callahan must go

Newearthhusker, please stop drinking the koolaid!

Must be a woman because your reasoning is out of this world!

WOW!! THAT WOULD JUST ABOUT GET YOU FIRED FROM ANY POSITION, EITHER PUBLIC OR PRIVATE. AND YOU WOULD DESERVE IT. DO YOU EXPECT DINNER ON THE TABLE WHEN YOU GET HOME, TOO?

I'LL BET YOU GET YOUR WIFE A NICE FRYING PAN FOR CHRISTMAS, YOU ROMANTIC DEVIL!!

CapsPoster.jpg

:)

And no, Callahan does not have to go for this team to succeed. I think everyone should admit that the offensive changes installed for Ganz in two short weeks have been remarkable. Shades of the spread option, intermingled with tight I-formation power sets. Looked darned good to me. Sitting in the stands, you could really see the difference.

This will be a different (and far more effective team) when the last of the Solich seniors graduate this year. I'll repeat this; just look at game films of #51 on defense, and you will get the picture.

I've got to agree with this...never really been a fan of 51, to me it's more a name thing.

Throw on top of that Q getting out of here and we should be in much better shape.

If Ruud is the problem, how did he win a starter's job this year? Coulda sworn Kevin Cosgrove, Callahan's long-time friend, is the guy who put him in that spot. If he wasn't producing as much as possible (and as much as ANYONE on that defense) he wouldn't be in that position.

Your allegations against Ruud are without merit. He is playing no worse than anyone else on D, and at times far, far better.

If Ruud is the problem, how did he win a starter's job this year? Coulda sworn Kevin Cosgrove, Callahan's long-time friend, is the guy who put him in that spot. If he wasn't producing as much as possible (and as much as ANYONE on that defense) he wouldn't be in that position.

Your allegations against Ruud are without merit. He is playing no worse than anyone else on D, and at times far, far better.

Just an opinion. Ruud makes great plays at times (how many picks for TDs does he have?) but overall, with his entire family playing for the Huskers, I guess my expectations are a little too high. That's all. I wouldn't say he's any worse than anyone else on the team this year...but let's face it, on the defensive side of the ball that's nothing special.

That's true - aside from a few plays here and there, his season has not been anything special.

What I was really getting at was Freemason's continued ridiculous comments, and you agreed so I lumped your quote in with his.

Yeah. I had to think long and hard about agreeing with freemason.

Hey, why ya'll picking on me?

LOL

No, I just honestly believe that Callahan is a smart guy. I believe that the Huskers will stand a better chance if stability returns to the program. Face it . . . he has proven that he is a fine recruiter. Now he has to learn about the value of walkons in college football, as well as team leadership . . . and, of course, how to talk to the press.

But I think he is a very smart guy, he knows his x's and o's, that he can learn from his mistakes, and that he can recruit what he needs. I think he can build a championship team over less time than Osborne took.

And as for Pellini . . . at A&M, they are chuckling about NU fans' fixation for him. They have been saying that they are more than willing to let NU "make that mistake." For what it's worth.

Back to the topic at hand. I would agree this just solidifies the fact that Cally must go. He has no capability or interest in trying something different. The injury to Keller forced him to try something new, and we are getting results. He refuses to fire his butt buddy Cos and try to get something going on the defensive side as well. Had Cally gotten ride of Cos mid-season and shown us that he is open to changing it up to try and fix problems i would be willing to give him a 2nd chance. However he is so stubborn even if we did give him a 2nd chance we would continue to see the same results. All this game did was further prove that we have the athletes to compete, but no coach to lead them.

That's true - aside from a few plays here and there, his season has not been anything special.

What I was really getting at was Freemason's continued ridiculous comments, and you agreed so I lumped your quote in with his.

Yeah. I had to think long and hard about agreeing with freemason.

Hey, why ya'll picking on me?

LOL

No, I just honestly believe that Callahan is a smart guy. I believe that the Huskers will stand a better chance if stability returns to the program. Face it . . . he has proven that he is a fine recruiter. Now he has to learn about the value of walkons in college football, as well as team leadership . . . and, of course, how to talk to the press.

But I think he is a very smart guy, he knows his x's and o's, that he can learn from his mistakes, and that he can recruit what he needs. I think he can build a championship team over less time than Osborne took.

And as for Pellini . . . at A&M, they are chuckling about NU fans' fixation for him. They have been saying that they are more than willing to let NU "make that mistake." For what it's worth.

I think BC knows his x's & o's too. But I also think he is a snake oil salesman, that will continually say what the people want to hear. But when it comes to proving it on the field he can't. He doesn't have the ability to adapt it seems. I don't think he has great leadership skills, or this team wouldn't have folded after the usc game.

It doesn't take an expert to see that Ganz knows and executes Callahan's offense FAR better than Keller.

Keller apparently is more talented, so Callahan went with him.

But when the team was imploding and even the offense couldn't do squat (6 against Mizzou, 14 against Okie State and A&M), Callahan stuck with Keller every single down.

Just look at the points the last two weeks. Callahan didn't even know how to get the most out of his own offense.

Yeah but Callahan has done an excellent job in every area.

It doesn't take an expert to see that Ganz knows and executes Callahan's offense FAR better than Keller.

Keller apparently is more talented, so Callahan went with him.

But when the team was imploding and even the offense couldn't do squat (6 against Mizzou, 14 against Okie State and A&M), Callahan stuck with Keller every single down.

Just look at the points the last two weeks. Callahan didn't even know how to get the most out of his own offense.

Yeah but Callahan has done an excellent job in every area.

yep, that is why he has let Watson call some plays. :lol:

Newearthhusker, please stop drinking the koolaid!

Must be a woman because your reasoning is out of this world!

WOW!! THAT WOULD JUST ABOUT GET YOU FIRED FROM ANY POSITION, EITHER PUBLIC OR PRIVATE. AND YOU WOULD DESERVE IT. DO YOU EXPECT DINNER ON THE TABLE WHEN YOU GET HOME, TOO?

I'LL BET YOU GET YOUR WIFE A NICE FRYING PAN FOR CHRISTMAS, YOU ROMANTIC DEVIL!!

Just an FYI...typing in all caps on a message board is really annoying. You can get your point across without doing it, by typing like a normal human being.

whodiedandmadeyouthegrammarnaziwheniwasinschoolthat'showyoushowedemphasis.

I woud argue that he "THNKS" he's smart, and can't adjust schemes or relate to players. He has a terrible pattern, and I would like to free the student-athletes playing for Nebraska from him and his ego.

NY Times

Woodson also said Callahan failed to listen to his veterans. Even some Raiders on offense, where Callahan had made his mark as Gruden's offensive coordinator for four seasons, questioned Callahan's interpersonal skills. As the losses mounted, Callahan let loose with barbs the players believed should have stayed in house. In a players-only meeting midway through the season, they tore into Callahan. One of his strengths as a teacher became clouded by his failure to stand in lockstep with his players, Raiders guard Corey Hulsey said.

''The biggest problem was when Callahan would go public with things and not deal with the team,'' Hulsey said Thursday Hulsey added: ''You're considered a man at 18. You've got guys 39, 40 and 41 years old that took offense to what he said. I never had any quarrels with him, but that was the biggest thing: he didn't treat the guys like men.''

Rejecting a New Playbook

As early as the preseason, some players rejected parts of the new playbook even while they studied it.

Then the games began for real. Oakland quarterback Rich Gannon yelled at Callahan and his offensive coordinator, Marc Trestman, during the Raiders' 31-10 loss in Denver in Week 3. An offense that had ranked first in 2002 looked predictable in 2003, prompting Callahan to tell reporters after the defeat: ''I think teams have caught up to us. I would freely admit that.'' One Raiders defensive player, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Callahan tried to junk too much of an offense that the team had used, with success, for years, and that the loss to Gruden in the Super Bowl was the catalyst.

''The whole offense was changed, and that made Rich uncomfortable,'' the player said of Callahan's retooling. ''We were coming out just throwing the ball, not running the ball, even on third-and-inches. I got the sense that he was saying, 'Look, I'm running my stuff and nobody else's stuff.' ''I think he could have changed a couple of plays at a time, which would have kept Rich in a groove. That's why a lot of people were jumping offside. They were used to something else.''

Still, the atmosphere of losing did not stop the players from bonding, even in volatile times.

As the rift grew among Callahan and the players, Shaw, who won a Super Bowl with the New England Patriots in the 2001 season, became a locker-room arbitrator of sorts. ''I would be the last guy to walk into the defensive-backs meeting,'' Shaw said, ''and all of the players would stand up and say, 'All rise, Judge Terrance Shaw presiding.' ''I then said somebody's jersey number. If a player had gotten into it with a coach at practice, I'd say, 'Case 0033: Anthony Dorsett versus the Raiders' or 'Case 0024: Woodson versus Callahan.'

''It was like Judge Wapner every morning on 'The People's Court.' At the end, things were bad and we were just trying to get some humor from it.''

The Raiders ultimately played, losing by a touchdown to the Chargers on the same field where the Buccaneers humiliated them last January.

In the ensuing days, Davis told reporters in the Bay Area that the Raiders were not a team in disarray, but Gannon took a different view. ''I wouldn't say I'd take a torch to the place, but it wouldn't be far from that,'' said Gannon, who missed the final nine games because of a shoulder injury. ''We all have to accept responsibility. I have to demand more out of people around me. I ask for more out of our coaches. Stuff needs to get fixed, and it didn't. It just continued to get worse to the point where it was disgraceful.''

Ten days after being fired, Callahan was named the coach at Nebraska.''That one year, we loved playing for Coach Callahan,'' Shaw said of the Super Bowl trip. ''We ran through the wall for that guy. But once this season started, guys felt like they were jilted without explanation.''

Sound Familiar?????????????? dedhoarse