What will the talk be?

I'm just wondering what everyone will think if Dr. Tom decides to keep Coach Callahan? I'm not asking for an argument or saying it will happen but I'm just wondering what the talk will be if he does. Given the fact that he is legend at Nebraska if not all college football would you

1. stand behind him and his decision?

2. call for his resignation since he didn't take the popular view or at least your view?

3. turn in your season tickets?

4. become a fan of another team?

I'm going to keep my N sticker on my truck. I'm going to keep watching the games at the sport bars. I'm going to keep rooting for the Cornhuskers to win. Regardless who the coach is. But keep in mind that fans are within their rights to be critical of the team they support. I think Callahan has separated himself each day. Never called or refered to Steve Peterson as "higher ups". He could have tried some humility and Husker fans prolly would have sympathized and rallied around him (not all, but the good hearted ones). Instead he keeps distancing himself from the state, the AD, the chancellor, the fans. He cannot open his fat mouth without praising himself. He has always been a bit of a pr!ck and I'll be glad when he's gone. If he stays, I'm still rooting for Nebraska, but not for his sorry ass. :)

I'm just wondering what everyone will think if Dr. Tom decides to keep Coach Callahan? I'm not asking for an argument or saying it will happen but I'm just wondering what the talk will be if he does. Given the fact that he is legend at Nebraska if not all college football would you

1. stand behind him and his decision?

2. call for his resignation since he didn't take the popular view or at least your view?

3. turn in your season tickets?

4. become a fan of another team?

I think these are honest questions since I would say right now its 50-50. I don't believe Tom has made any decision since I truly feel he is a man of his word.

I also believe Tom knows exactly what Callahan is going through right now since he knows more than most how it takes just a few people yelling and screaming and whining to get the masses against you

Following Tom, which Callahn and Solich did, cannot be easy. Sort of like Tom following The Bobfather.

I also think if Tom backs Callahan the masses will as well or they won't be heard as loud. I wonder if Tom would of been around to win 3 Championships if Bob had not supported him as well as he had.

In my saying all of this I'm not saying I'm pleased with all Callahan has done or said. I'm not pleased with the defense either. Greatly discouraged in fact. I also feel that the fans demeanor has also went a long ways in hurting this team.

I will also go on record right here and now in saying I trust the Dr. to make the right choice whatever it may be.

Winning the "Big" game and going 28-21 over the span of four years while gravitating to the lowest point in a teams history over the past half century are two completely different things.

Huge difference! Osborne was still winning 9 games a year never losing more than 3. Billy C has only won 9 games once. That right there is reason enough to not give him another chance. Why make it worse when we can make it better? :)

both of you are not answering the original question.

What will you do IF Tom Osborne decides to give Callahan more time?

TO knows what it is like for people to be calling for his firing, because he has been there himself. it is a possibility, granted a very slight one at that, but what will you do if it happens?

i am NOT saying that BC deserves more time, all that i am saying is that if TO decides to keep BC, i will accept his decision and move on

both of you are not answering the original question.

What will you do IF Tom Osborne decides to give Callahan more time?

TO knows what it is like for people to be calling for his firing, because he has been there himself. it is a possibility, granted a very slight one at that, but what will you do if it happens?

i am NOT saying that BC deserves more time, all that i am saying is that if TO decides to keep BC, i will accept his decision and move on

I see what your saying, this puts it a little better. I guess I just find it way out of the realm of possibility after hearing reports of the friction between the two. If it did happen, I think it would completely polarize the fan base, and this, as well as many other gathering sites will get bloody.

Huh. It seems that the original premise--which I thought was excellent, because Coach Callahan is very likely to remain as head coach--has been largely disregarded by the Fire The Coach crowd. That is a shame, because I have wondered the same thing myself.

Remember, the most popular guy on the team is always the second team quarterback. The least popular? The head coach, of course.

Curious,

what evdince would one have to help them form this opinion? Enlighten us.

No sh#t. Enlighten us. Callahan is gone at the end of the season. Theres no doubt.

Don't waste your time...you're dealing with the #1 Callahan apologist on the board. I'm sure that his explanation would probably be too technical for you to understand.

To answer the original question, I will always support the team. I would support Osborne because I feel that he would do what he feels is best. However, I will never support Callahan as he has proven to be arrogant, egotistical, and incapable of accepting responsibility for the problems of the program. He refuses to accept the history and traditions fo the program, and seems to be more interested in proving that his way of playing is the ONLY way, and that everyone else is wrong, or at least f-----g hillbillies.

"What is different this week?"

"I don't know..."

That's priceless. I guess that it was probably too technical for HIM to understand.

I'm not an apologist; I simply see the problem differently than you. Callahan undoubtedly has made his share of screwups, but I have to think that a man that manages to reach the level of professional football has some things going for him. Many say that he should have fired Cosgrove, and that might be right; however, the emphasis on recruiting was on offensive players due to the system changeover. The defense didn't need the overhaul. Nobody expected that (1) the seniors on defense would quit the way that they did, and (2) there was no--repeat, NO--leadership on that defense from Ruud and Bowman.

In a way, I wouldn't mind seeing Callahan go, just to ease the bickering some. I'm just not convinced that burning down the house AGAIN is the best way to rebuild it. With someone like Pellini, you might end up with 3-4 more years of pouting, mutinous players again. It could happen.

That's why I'm not anxious for a new coach. It's very risky at a place like Nebraska. I would rather see Callahan "mentored" over time by Osborne and the fans.

That's why I'm not anxious for a new coach. It's very risky at a place like Nebraska. I would rather see Callahan "mentored" over time by Osborne and the fans.

That's a nice thought in theory, but given what we know about Bill Callahan, what makes you think he would take any "mentoring," from Osborne and the fans.

Some would go as far as to call him stubborn.

I'm not an apologist; I simply see the problem differently than you. Callahan undoubtedly has made his share of screwups, but I have to think that a man that manages to reach the level of professional football has some things going for him. Many say that he should have fired Cosgrove, and that might be right; however, the emphasis on recruiting was on offensive players due to the system changeover. The defense didn't need the overhaul. Nobody expected that (1) the seniors on defense would quit the way that they did, and (2) there was no--repeat, NO--leadership on that defense from Ruud and Bowman.

In a way, I wouldn't mind seeing Callahan go, just to ease the bickering some. I'm just not convinced that burning down the house AGAIN is the best way to rebuild it. With someone like Pellini, you might end up with 3-4 more years of pouting, mutinous players again. It could happen.

Your complete lack of understanding of college football is astounding, the more so since you spend so much time on these boards. You're blaming the poor defense on Ruud and Bowman? You have no freaking clue what you're talking about. These guys never had a chance with the dunderheaded DC we've had here.

This is the guy who defends Callahan - the guy who hasn't got a clue what's been going wrong here the last four years.

Funny enough, that makes perfect sense. The clueless defending the clueless. :rollin:rollin:rollin

Your complete lack of understanding of college football is astounding, the more so since you spend so much time on these boards. You're blaming the poor defense on Ruud and Bowman? You have no freaking clue what you're talking about. These guys never had a chance with the dunderheaded DC we've had here.

This is the guy who defends Callahan - the guy who hasn't got a clue what's been going wrong here the last four years.

Funny enough, that makes perfect sense. The clueless defending the clueless. :rollin:rollin:rollin

Now you're getting personal. 10 to 1 that I had more tackles for losses during my college career than you, despite your agressive keyboarding skills.

And I was trying to keep it civil.

knapplc, enough. If you can't post without the personal attacks, either find a new board or don't post at all.

Hey thanks to all of you for participating in answering my question I posed. Some actually answered. I liked the "put Tom in a home if he decides to keep Coach Callahan" remark. Not that I agreed to it at all but it did make things interesting.

I think its sort of ironic that the rally cry is for a defensive Coach now in Pellini when the crying before was for a pro -style offense.

IMO,only, I feel some of our teams faults lie in Callahan recruiting more heavily on offense than defense. Just seems we are well stocked in QB's, RB's, WR's with good players riding the pine whie it seems on defense we are always short on either DL, LB, or DB's depending on the year.

My basis for thinking Callahan may still be around next year is because of Tom Osborne. I've read his book "More than Winning" and encourage all of you to do so. Some of the strong points of emphasis Tom is for are 1. running a clean program 2. Discipline as needed while encouraging 3. treating all players the same. 4. Loyalty above all...to the State, players, and Coaches.

I have not read anywhere that the players are dismayed by the Coaching staff or wish them to leave. I have not read about any players leaving the team yet because of playing time or because of the Coaching staff.

I have read where the players have been affected and dismayed by the fans. Or at least some of them. I have read about recruits leaving because the Coaches may not be here. Some may say good riddance but honestly these are High School kids. I think the JC kids being older are able to understand more about the school and all its good points and badpoints. Fewer decommit anyway. The instate kids are going to stay because they can relate to the school more than the out of state kids.

In short I believe Tom will be the Director that Devaney was and will not make rash decisions. He never has and never will. He will not do what others feel is the quick way out. He won't care what is said about himself. He will not knuckle under pressure form loudmouths, money changers, and politicians.

He will do what he feels is personally the best thing for the School and the team. He already is. He will talk and discuss his reasonings.

If he fires Coach Callahan he will have his reasons and none will be because he wants Turner Gill or Bo Pellini personally.

I also feel if he keeps Callahan he will back him and support him and that will take some of the pressure off Callahan to win it all every year. As much as I want it and you want it to happen it is just not going to happen.

Tom is a guy who beleives in "more than winning" and if he feels Callahan can fit this creed he might still be around.

Hah course I've been wrong before.

If you can put any stock at all into any of the rumors that have been posted here, you will know that TO has been doing some homework and research. He supposedly was calling past players that played under Clownahan. I'm sure he's been in contact with staff that were under him when he was HC that were also under Clownahan.

IMO, TO took over the AD position knowing he would be terminating BC. There was an Aggy fan who posted the same set of circumstances when $ Byrne took over the AD position at A&M. I think TO took the job under the same circumstances. I think the writing has been on the wall for quite some time, probably ever since the Ball State game.

When Pud was "let go", I think the final nail was put into Clownahan's coffin here. When you break the kinds of records that Clownahan's team has broken this year, it's time to find another coach. As much as everyone wants to feel good about the KState game, they all need to remember the thumping we took on Homecoming to an average at best Okie State team. You know what they say, "the sun shines on a dog's a$$ every once in a while".

with his record, what was pederson thinking to hire him in the 1st place?

When you do things in a rash manner, you typically don't think things through. Pud fired Solich with no real plan on who to replace him with. After being turned down 3 or 4 or however many times, Pud was getting desperate. He needed a big name to hush some of the critics. Clownahan had just been fired from Oakland, but he was a big name because he made it to the Super Bowl the previous year. This is why he was hired.

knapplc, enough. If you can't post without the personal attacks, either find a new board or don't post at all.

If you think calling someone "clueless" is a personal attack worthy of a warning, you should see what's been posted about me - by Freemason, among others - in my brief time here. I didn't see anyone coming to my defense then.

I shall not call anyone clueless again, however. Point taken.

If you think calling someone "clueless" is a personal attack worthy of a warning, you should see what's been posted about me - by Freemason, among others - in my brief time here. I didn't see anyone coming to my defense then.

I shall not call anyone clueless again, however. Point taken.

I agree with you FreeMason was out of line as well. Course he did have more tackles than you. :) Hey life should be fun. Be Happy all. Some Husker fans didn't wake up today. Hope all of you will for sometime.