Six wins might not be enough for bowl game

If NU ends up 6-6 somebody will pick us up for a bowl game.

The tradition and more importantly the way the fans travel means $$$$ for the bowl and city, yea NU will go bowling if they beat CU

Exactly right. The bowls, especially these lower tier bowls that NU would be playing in, are interested in putting butts in the seats for the game and $$$ in the local economy. They could care less about NU's pathetic defense as long as they end up 6-6 and will bring people to watch the game.

Too many bowls with too many mediocre and down right piss-poor teams eligible to play in them. Why...when I WAS A BOY there were only four or five bowl games and they showcased the top teams. It meant something when you played in a bowl game back in the day...now it just means you scheduled yourself a cakewalk non-conference schedule and accidently beat a couple of the tomato cans in your conference...

Look at Iowa. Those idiots are positively pathetic yet they are eligible for a bowl bid. What big victories did they achieve to get to this point? Northwestern? Minnesota? Yeah...real hallmark victories there.

Why don't they just round up a few more greedy cities and tv networks and invent some more bowls so everybody can play in one?

When I was a kid: Rose, Orange, Sugar, Gator, Cotton, and one or two others that would appear for a few years. Right there with you, brother!!

:cheers

Too many bowls with too many mediocre and down right piss-poor teams eligible to play in them. Why...when I WAS A BOY there were only four or five bowl games and they showcased the top teams. It meant something when you played in a bowl game back in the day...now it just means you scheduled yourself a cakewalk non-conference schedule and accidently beat a couple of the tomato cans in your conference...

Look at Iowa. Those idiots are positively pathetic yet they are eligible for a bowl bid. What big victories did they achieve to get to this point? Northwestern? Minnesota? Yeah...real hallmark victories there.

Why don't they just round up a few more greedy cities and tv networks and invent some more bowls so everybody can play in one?

I have to agree with you on this one, My only reason for wanting Nebraska in a bowl game is because I love husker football so much I dont want it to end so givin us an extra game is well worth it. But I do agree that their are simply way too many bowl games out there. And although I want Nebraska in a bowl game, the outcome of that game will be meaningless- either we lose, or we win with a lameduck or an interim coach so it wont really give us anything to build on for next year other than maybe gettin some of the younger guys some experience. Either way, GBR!!!!

When I was a kid: Rose, Orange, Sugar, Gator, Cotton, and one or two others that would appear for a few years. Right there with you, brother!!

:cheers

I have to agree too. All these stupid feel good bowl games have really watered down the meaning of going to a Bowl Game IMO.

Although the other conferences are overloaded with bowl eligeable teams, the Big XII isn't, and we are likely to have two teams go to BCS bowls, all Big XII teams with 6 wins will get into a bowl...looks like we may not even have enough teams to put someone in the Texas Bowl...

You're exactly right, DC (BTW, are you in the nation's capital, or does the DC stand for something else?)

There must be 15 different "which bowl do we go to/do you want to go to a bowl" threads on this board, it must drive the mods nuts. But I posted this a while back (in yet another bowl thread), and it is still valid today, except for the part about Oregon being in the NC hunt. The below makes the assumption that KSU doesn't win another game to become bowl eligible, we beat CU, and OSU wins one more to join the 6-win list......

The conference is almost assured of getting an at-large BCS bid, so remove OU (NC game - they will pick OU over a 12-1 Oregon) and Mizzou/KU. The pecking order for Big XII tie-ins - other than BCS - is

Cotton (conference #2) Mizzou/KU - whoever doesn't get the at-large BCS

Holiday (conference #3) Texas

Gator (option to take the #4 team) OSU

Alamo (#4/#5) OSU if the Gator doesn't take the #4, Tech if they do

Insight (#6) Tech if the Gator doesn't pick, A&M if they do (A&M has the tie-breaker over us amongst 3-5 conference teams)

Independence (#7) A&M if the Gator doesn't pick from our conference - us if they do

Texas (#8) us if the Gator doesn't take OSU, otherwise this could be left open because if we become bowl eligible, that means that CU isn't, and KSU won't win another game this year, so they are out. With 8 bowl eligible teams, and the BCS taking two, that leaves 6 to fill 7 tie-ins

Sun (#?) this bowl also has the option to pick from the Big XII - doubtful since we will either fill our max or leave one empty

Although the other conferences are overloaded with bowl eligeable teams, the Big XII isn't, and we are likely to have two teams go to BCS bowls, all Big XII teams with 6 wins will get into a bowl...looks like we may not even have enough teams to put someone in the Texas Bowl...

You're exactly right, DC (BTW, are you in the nation's capital, or does the DC stand for something else?)

There must be 15 different "which bowl do we go to/do you want to go to a bowl" threads on this board, it must drive the mods nuts. But I posted this a while back (in yet another bowl thread), and it is still valid today, except for the part about Oregon being in the NC hunt. The below makes the assumption that KSU doesn't win another game to become bowl eligible, we beat CU, and OSU wins one more to join the 6-win list......

The conference is almost assured of getting an at-large BCS bid, so remove OU (NC game - they will pick OU over a 12-1 Oregon) and Mizzou/KU. The pecking order for Big XII tie-ins - other than BCS - is

Cotton (conference #2) Mizzou/KU - whoever doesn't get the at-large BCS

Holiday (conference #3) Texas

Gator (option to take the #4 team) OSU

Alamo (#4/#5) OSU if the Gator doesn't take the #4, Tech if they do

Insight (#6) Tech if the Gator doesn't pick, A&M if they do (A&M has the tie-breaker over us amongst 3-5 conference teams)

Independence (#7) A&M if the Gator doesn't pick from our conference - us if they do

Texas (#8) us if the Gator doesn't take OSU, otherwise this could be left open because if we become bowl eligible, that means that CU isn't, and KSU won't win another game this year, so they are out. With 8 bowl eligible teams, and the BCS taking two, that leaves 6 to fill 7 tie-ins

Sun (#?) this bowl also has the option to pick from the Big XII - doubtful since we will either fill our max or leave one empty

Nice work. Where is the Insight played? They might be pretty interested in us.

Here are the current projections from CNN SI. Has us in the Independence after we beat Colorado. Projects Kansas in the Gator as he did his projections before Oregon lost. Also has KSU and Okie State becoming bowl eligible which might be a stretch as Okie State has to win at Baylor (or win at Oklahoma) and KSU has to

win at Fresno State (or beat Missouri). So I guess the Alamo might even be a possibility.

With every possible team in the Big 12 becoming eligible and no at large bid, we are still in, so after beating Colorado, we are almost certainly in a bowl of some sort.

Also one thing I always forget is that conference standings are not used to determine the Big 12 No. 5 team. It is all in the bowl's preferences of the available teams so we might be picked over another 6-6 team that has beat us or has a better record in league.

:yeah I completely agree. There are 32 bowls if I counted correctly which means 64 of the 119 teams make a bowl. Like you said, it doesnt mean much to make a bowl when over half the teams also make a bowl especially when there are a lot of teams that are 6-6 or even 7-5 that really don't deserve it.

Points not mentioned is the extra practice time (I think we can use it) :hellloooo bowl games reward you AND television exposure...All bowl games that I'm aware of are nationally televised.

We MUST beat CU!

God knows the team could use an extra month of practice...especially if it is meaningful practice. Maybe some ones-on-ones, more contact, etc.

:yeah I completely agree. There are 32 bowls if I counted correctly which means 64 of the 119 teams make a bowl. Like you said, it doesnt mean much to make a bowl when over half the teams also make a bowl especially when there are a lot of teams that are 6-6 or even 7-5 that really don't deserve it.

I have a problem with the NCAA and March Madness also. Too many no names qualify for the Dance and get blown out in Round 1...never had a 16 seed win game one. Add the 65 teams in the NCAA and the NIT and there's a pretty high percentage of BB teams qualifying for post season.

I made the argument last year that Miami, Fla and FSU didnt deserve a bowl invitation by finishing with .500 records and losing conference records in the ACC. So I guess I should be fair and say NU wouldnt deserve it either. If they get invited, all is fair then.

Dont even want to think of the Hogwash that comes with "20 something consecutive bowl appearances". Or the "at least they made a bowl game the past few years" crap. Because it is.

If I counted right, there are approximately 343 teams that can compete to make the NCAA Bball Tourney with 65 getting in the NCAA's and 32 in the NIT (I think). There is a total of 87 out of 343 that make a post season tourney which is not nearly as high of a percentage as football but there are also a lot of unknown schools that are in conferences that only the champion makes tourney and maybe one other make it.