Think about the TO and LP situation

jawtin

Respectfully, there is no point to this whole thread. You are comparing apples to oranges. Callahan's job performance to a kid's legal problems. Might as well close this thread.

I guess you didn't read my whole post. It states that you can't compare the situations. The point is up until this year, the team has progressively gotten better and giving BC a chance to change and fix, something of which he really hasn't had the chance to do, may be an option for TO.

You couldn't be more wrong about that. We were 10-3 the season before Callahan was hired, and he failed to ever match that record. We've been going backwards since he arrived.

Actually I can't be wrong about the point because it's a fact. Callahan wasn't here for the 10-3 season. You can't grade him for or agaisnt a season he had no control over. Just because the team before him had a 10-3 record doesn't make him a failure if he doesn't match or exceed that team instantly the next season. He started the WCO with option offense players and from that point up until this year, Callahan's team did get better year by year. The defense sucked it this year and their problems ooozed onto the offense. When the defense was constantly giving up TD's the offense was always playing catchup and under pressure picking up the slack which lead to where we are now with a total team problem. There's a logical scenario where TO may give a BC a chance to fix the problem (defense), continue the sucsess of the offense, and get the team as a whole back on track.

The basis from which Callahan's grading should be looked at is how well he has done compared to the previous coach at the same place (time) of his tenure.

The basis from which Callahan's grading should be looked at is how well he has done compared to the previous coach at the same place (time) of his tenure.

Aaagh yeah sure that make sense. Is this the case just for Callahan? How do you grade Frank Solich then? He must have been a total failure since he didn't win three national championships like the previous coach to him.

Aaagh yeah sure that make sense. Is this the case just for Callahan? How do you grade Frank Solich then? He must have been a total failure since he didn't win three national championships like the previous coach to him.

Once again, just like the thread starter you're comparing apples to oranges. Callahan's predecessor was fired for his job performance, Solich's wasn't. Nevertheless, Callahan HAD HIS CHANCE already to address the team's problems. Don't forget the defense underachieved last year too.

Respectfully, there is no point to this whole thread. You are comparing apples to oranges. Callahan's job performance to a kid's legal problems. Might as well close this thread.

I guess you didn't read my whole post. It states that you can't compare the situations. The point is up until this year, the team has progressively gotten better and giving BC a chance to change and fix, something of which he really hasn't had the chance to do, may be an option for TO.

You couldn't be more wrong about that. We were 10-3 the season before Callahan was hired, and he failed to ever match that record. We've been going backwards since he arrived.

Actually I can't be wrong about the point because it's a fact. Callahan wasn't here for the 10-3 season. You can't grade him for or agaisnt a season he had no control over. Just because the team before him had a 10-3 record doesn't make him a failure if he doesn't match or exceed that team instantly the next season. He started the WCO with option offense players and from that point up until this year, Callahan's team did get better year by year. The defense sucked it this year and their problems ooozed onto the offense. When the defense was constantly giving up TD's the offense was always playing catchup and under pressure picking up the slack which lead to where we are now with a total team problem. There's a logical scenario where TO may give a BC a chance to fix the problem (defense), continue the sucsess of the offense, and get the team as a whole back on track.

are u kiddin me!? continue the success of the offense?? ahhh.....i must have missed something here.

I thought Callahan was given a second chance after Tech hung 70 on his azz. Then I thought he got a second chance after he got waxed by OU and called the fans /// hillbillies. But then I thought he got a second chance the following year when he got lit up three straight games by Mizzou, OU, and KU. So then I thought he got a second chance by explaining to the Big 12 that his throat gesture, um, well he "had it up to here"... hilarioius. And this season so far, when I'm thinking he was given a second chance after USC, after Ball State, after Missouri, after Okie State, after A&M, after Kansas - (what was that?), I think he pretty much has run out of second chances. But this is my opinion, maybe a little harsh, or maybe it's a 2 X 4 right in the middle of the forehead. Wakes you up. Gets your attention. Sometimes its needed.

He tried. It didnt work out. He moves on. We move on. Time for a different direction. A new chance. :)

Callahan shows no remorse. Callahan either believes or has certainly given the impression that he believes that he is doing everything right, and there is no need for him to change his ways. He has been recalcitrant throughout his entire tenure at UNL. There's no comparison between the two situations whatsoever.

Don't go overboard here. Cally hasn't committed a crime. He has disappointed a large amount of fans.

If you are right that -

he believes that he is doing everything right

He owes no "remorse" to the fans. He has said many times that he feels sorry for the kids.

why on earth would he change his ways ??

BEAT CU!!

I think that TO believed that he could turn LP's life around.

That's right.

When Johnny Rodgers was in trouble (gas station robbery), Osborne jogged with him, spent time with him, tried to impart his values. (It's in his book, "More Than Winning.") It was part of his teaching and part of his faith. He wanted to give L.P. the same chance.

Callahan shows no remorse. Callahan either believes or has certainly given the impression that he believes that he is doing everything right, and there is no need for him to change his ways. He has been recalcitrant throughout his entire tenure at UNL. There's no comparison between the two situations whatsoever.

Don't go overboard here. Cally hasn't committed a crime. He has disappointed a large amount of fans.

If you are right that -

he believes that he is doing everything right

He owes no "remorse" to the fans. He has said many times that he feels sorry for the kids.

why on earth would he change his ways ??

BEAT CU!!

Don't get hung up on the word remorse. Maybe regret would have been a better choice. In the context of the LP conversation it was the first word that came to mind.