Think about the TO and LP situation

jawtin

Back when TO followed the Chritian faith by forgiving Lawrence Phillips and gave him a second chance at redeeming himself, he was heavily critizied by the national media for his actions. Do any of you think he will go down the same path? Be it you cannot compare the LP situation the the current coaching staff fallout, the situation does have a side to it where BC could be given a second chance to fix the problems. Solich was presured (by the media at least) into revamping his coaching line up and he did so. I have begun to think TO may do the same in this situation, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

Back when TO followed the Chritian faith by forgiving to Lawrence Phillips and gave him a second chance at redeeming himself, he was heavily critizied by the national media for his actions. Do any of you think he will go down the same path? Be it you cannot compare the LP situation the the current coaching staff fallout, the situation does have a side to it where BC could be given a second chance to fix the problems. Solich was presured (by the media at least) into revamping his coaching line up and he did so. I have begun to think TO may do the same in this situation, but, I wouldn't bet on it.

Had Callahan not said basically everything he's said since T.O. took over (and also before), I think he might have gotten a second chance, but he has basically burned every bridge and no way he comes back.

LP was probably one of the 3 best I-backs we ever had. He was a troubled kid to say the least, but still a great football player. TO thought it was better for him to be in the team environment, that this was a way to help him find the right path to his future. Unfortunately it didn't work-out and I'm sure that TO feels some sense of failure for the way things have turned out for LP.

Cally is a whole different deal. There is nothing to be gained for either the Nebraska football program or coach Callahan if TO retains his services.

...T_O_B

It is important to remember that TO did NOT make the decision to play LP because of his talent. That had NOTHING to do with that call. We had Ahman Green, who was fully capable of handling RB duties against Florida.

The two main reasons TO put Phillips back on the field were A.) LP showed remorse for what he had done, and convinced TO that he intended to change his ways; and B.) TO feared that cutting LP loose would cause him to spiral out of control and he could wind up in prison or worse.

Callahan shows no remorse. Callahan either believes or has certainly given the impression that he believes that he is doing everything right, and there is no need for him to change his ways. He has been recalcitrant throughout his entire tenure at UNL. There's no comparison between the two situations whatsoever.

LP was probably one of the 3 best I-backs we ever had. He was a troubled kid to say the least, but still a great football player. TO thought it was better for him to be in the team environment, that this was a way to help him find the right path to his future. Unfortunately it didn't work-out and I'm sure that TO feels some sense of failure for the way things have turned out for LP.

Cally is a whole different deal. There is nothing to be gained for either the Nebraska football program or coach Callahan if TO retains his services.

...T_O_B

:yeah

Two completely different circumstances. Callahan was in a position to help himself by embracing Husker Nation and our traditions. He refused. Phillips actually did everything required of him while still in Lincoln. That's why he was able to play against Florida. Unfortunately, soon after he slipped back into his old ways, and has been stuck ever since. Osborne will do the right thing for Husker Nation as a whole. This is not about helping someone get their life in order. This is about getting Husker Nation back in order. Callahan will be just fine...and filthy rich. He will be a successful OC in the NFL soon.

Go Big Red!!!

...T_O_B

:yeah

Two completely different circumstances. Callahan was in a position to help himself by embracing Husker Nation and our traditions. He refused. Phillips actually did everything required of him while still in Lincoln. That's why he was able to play against Florida. Unfortunately, soon after he slipped back into his old ways, and has been stuck ever since. Osborne will do the right thing for Husker Nation as a whole. This is not about helping someone get their life in order. This is about getting Husker Nation back in order. Callahan will be just fine...and filthy rich. He will be a successful OC in the NFL soon.

Go Big Red!!!

big difference. IF he woulc have cut LP, he would not have been able to just find another job(cally can) and he wouldnt have gotten several million from the university(cally will)

that being said I think that if Cally would have not acted liek a total jerk, I think TO might have given him a chance. but stuff like ignoring him and referring to him as "higher ups" have killed any chance of that.

Two completely different situations. Phillips had a troubled life before he got to Nebraska, Osborne tried to help him, give him a sense of belonging, gave him total faith that he would turn his life around if giving the right opportunities and the right role model. It didn't work, not all troubled kids can turn it around, no matter how good their mentor is. I agree with the post the Osborne played him in the Florida game so NFL recruiters would see him and draft him. I think at that point Osborne knew that there was no turning back for him, so gave him the best possible situation.

Callahan isn't some troubled kid who if he doesn't go to the NFL, is going to be flippin burgers the rest of his life or doing things that are illegal and will land him in jail. He's also walking away with enough money that if he chose to and managed it right he could retire now, and not work another day in his life.

Callahan shows no remorse. Callahan either believes or has certainly given the impression that he believes that he is doing everything right, and there is no need for him to change his ways. He has been recalcitrant throughout his entire tenure at UNL. There's no comparison between the two situations whatsoever.

Why should he show "remorse"? He's not obligated to say that his whole system and method of coaching are wrong when he fails. He's said many times that he is responsible for the product out on the field, and that he is extremely disappointed and hurt by how the season has turned out. What more do you want? "I am a terrible coach and I resign?" He's not going to say that, nor should he. He's still going to believe in what he teaches, and he's going to continue coaching to the best of his ability, which I really think he is doing.

I'm not standing up for the job he's done. I just think it's wrong for everybody to act like Bill Callahan has done a terrible thing for which he needs to apologize.

Why should he show "remorse"? He's not obligated to say that his whole system and method of coaching are wrong when he fails. He's said many times that he is responsible for the product out on the field, and that he is extremely disappointed and hurt by how the season has turned out. What more do you want? "I am a terrible coach and I resign?" He's not going to say that, nor should he. He's still going to believe in what he teaches, and he's going to continue coaching to the best of his ability, which I really think he is doing.

I'm not standing up for the job he's done. I just think it's wrong for everybody to act like Bill Callahan has done a terrible thing for which he needs to apologize.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying Callahan has failed to put a proper product out on that field, and he has failed to properly correct the problem.

Don't go overboard here.

From what I remember one of the Assistant Coaches under Osborne saying about how Osborne handled the Lawrence Phillips situation from the video/DVD "More than Winning" the assistant told Osborne to basically break ties with Phillips. Osborne replied, "I can't do that to that young man". I think the key here is young man. If a player is getting criticized Osborne will take him under his wing and do what's best for him, a man the age of Callahan who's had more life experience has more going for him.

That's not to say that Osborne wouldn't give Callahan another year. I honestly think from a fans standpoint, that Osborne looks in the best for everyone.

I don't think we have to feel bad for Callahan if he's fired though, he will get a very big paycheck if he's fired.

All we can do is sit and wait and see what happens after the CU game. I will support Osborne's decision either way too because Osborne will be very open about his decision unlike Pederson was with Solich.

TO recruited LP. TO saw his hand picked successor fired by Pud and replaced with Clownahan. I highly doubt Pud had any sort of dialogue with TO with regards to hiring Clownahan. You always like to give people a second chance when you brought them into the organization. TO never brought Clownahan into this organization.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying Callahan has failed to put a proper product out on that field, and he has failed to properly correct the problem.

Don't go overboard here.

And that is where I think folks getting this idea Callahan may just be kept as HC. If Callahan is willing to make coaching changes and Osborne feels comfortable with that decision (ORRRRR...if Osborne is unable to get the new HC he wants), Callahan may just be around for another year or even two. Highly unlikely, but not out of the question either.