NFL Live on ESPN just reported

Love this guy. Great coach. Two problems. 1. He is 67 years old 2. He is an NFL coach for a team that will likely make the playoffs which means he couldn't take over until at least the second week of January. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't national letter of intent day the first week of February? That would give him only about 3 weeks to recruit.

Should have been hired instead of Callahan - now I think its just too late.

don't think so short term here. he could easily have a new assistant do some recruting for him. anything is possible here.

I'm sure if T.O. wanted to coach again he would have said at the press conference that he will search for a new coach and also think about throwing his hat in the ring. That way he would get recruits ears to perk up throughout the nation!

Sorry, I keep forgetting to use the little :sarcasm I know Dr. Tom doesn't want to coach, but I do think that although Kiffin is a great coordinator, he is too old to start fresh and rebuild a program. IMHO. So my hire Dr. Tom reply was a sarcastic way to say we should not hire the elderly.

I know I know, you weren't being serious with the T.O. comment. But just because Kiffin is old (yet younger than T.O.) doesn't mean he isn't sound of mind! If him being too old is your excuse than way let T.O. who has Kiffin by a few years be the deciding factor in the most important decision for the football team in the past decade? Respect your elders, they might know a thing or 2 you don't! chuckleshuffle

Having Dr. Tom sit in an office and make decisions about a good fit for the next head coach is quite different than the grind of recruiting, spring football, and a season. I know Kiffin is coaching now, but I think he is at the end of his career. I don't see him as a guy who is ready to jump into a new challenge like rebuilding the Huskers. Remember, in the NFL all he has to do is plug a few new player a year into a well established defense. There is no recruiting involved. I know the NFL has become a year round job, but I think the college game can be more of a grind. I just think 67 is too old to start something like that. And I do respect the elderly...I am quickly becoming one of them ;)

surround yourself with great assistants and let them do the work. being leader doesn't mean you have to do it all, unless you are a control freak.....delegate, delegate.

Forget the age of the man. I dont want another NFL coach. HE ahs been out of the college game for more than 20 years, and it is a very,very different game than it was in the 70s and early 80s. The issue that happens with nearly every NFL coach, is they seem to be horrid at developing talent. Recruiting stars dont matter, what matters is what you do with them once they get to campus. ANd this is a thing he has no experience with.

I seem to remember Bear Bryant coaching Alabama until he was in his 80's . It's not about age it's about desire. And a few weeks ago Lane indicated on the Jim Rose show that Monte still has the desire.

I've been in the Kiffin camp for a while now. He has all of the characteristics TO mentioned at the press conference yesterday, as well as Nebraska ties. He'd be a great choice. And maybe, just maybe... maybe he can get Lane to come home and run the offense. Sets up easy succesion for when Monte decides to hang it up.

Also presents another possibility... When TO retires, Maybe Monte takes over the athletic department. A guy like him might love to finishhis career that way.

I seem to remember Bear Bryant coaching Alabama until he was in his 80's . It's not about age it's about desire. And a few weeks ago Lane indicated on the Jim Rose show that Monte still has the desire.

Bryant coached until he was 69 and dropped dead a month after retiring. It's hard to say what Monte would want to do and what we can expect out of him at his age. Who knows.

Bryant coached until he was 69 and dropped dead a month after retiring. It's hard to say what Monte would want to do and what we can expect out of him at his age. Who knows.

My bad. I thought he was older than that.

Kiffin is TOO OLD.

I don't want to be in this position when he decides to retire in 4 years.

just remember that when you want to make a move at that age. 4 years is long enough to rebuild and retool and hand off the baton to a planned successor in house.

I would agree. 4 or 5 years would be all I would expect from Monte. Whether it would be a good move or not would also depend alot on who the planned successor would be as well. Lane Kiffin might be a good choice, maybe Turner Gill.

I'm just dreaming here but maybe he'd (M.Kiffin) be head coach long enough to get everything rolling in the right direction again (say 6 years) and then have his OC Turner Gill become Head Coach!

Sound good to anyone?

Remember it's only a dream.......

yep or by that time his son will already be fired from that crap job in chokeland, maybe he could take over as well. :thumbs

This is why I would be in favor of Monte coming here. Lane did an awesome job of recruiting at USC and worked his tail off while he was there doing that. It is too bad this did not happen a year earlier. Lane would have been available.

There is no way he is happy in Oakland. I have a friend who played with him in high school and spoke with him when Oakland was playing the Vikes last weekend. He is not in favor the DC (the long haired freak) and has no say in what is going on. Bring in Monte and hopefully Lane will follow.

leading top candidate for replacing Callahan. I think he would be a great fit, with Nebraska ties and a strong defensive work ethic, he could be just what we need!

I herd tha same thing they said he really wants the job of restoring the program hes from nebraska and he still has a cabbin heres or something like that