Time To Ditch The Big 12 Title Game

The situation the Missouri Tigers are in now proves once and for all that we need to get rid of the Big 12 Title Game. It was a bad idea to start and it's just gotten worse. The powers that be got all caught up with the excitement of the SEC Title game and thought we should do it too, but it doesn't work. Now, Missouri has to play a game to win the Big 12 which they have in reality done already. Meanwhile, Ohio State, with no Big 10 Title game, sits in waiting in case Missouri loses. Granted, you can say, "well, if they're so good, they should beat Oklahoma," but that's not the point. Some teams play 11 games, some 12, some 13...there's no balance. The Big 12 needs to ditch the title game and do what the Big 10 does. You may not play every team in the conference every year, but you get most of them. You could cut back to 3 preseason games and play a rotating 8 conference teams. And while we're at it, make sure that Nebraska and Oklahoma play each other every year in the last game, just like Ohio State and Michigan. Now that Osborne is the AD, he needs to make this his first priority after hiring a football coach.

We need to start a movement to see that this happens. :boxosoap

The situation the Missouri Tigers are in now proves once and for all that we need to get rid of the Big 12 Title Game. It was a bad idea to start and it's just gotten worse. The powers that be got all caught up with the excitement of the SEC Title game and thought we should do it too, but it doesn't work. Now, Missouri has to play a game to win the Big 12 which they have in reality done already. Meanwhile, Ohio State, with no Big 10 Title game, sits in waiting in case Missouri loses. Granted, you can say, "well, if they're so good, they should beat Oklahoma," but that's not the point. Some teams play 11 games, some 12, some 13...there's no balance. The Big 12 needs to ditch the title game and do what the Big 10 does. You may not play every team in the conference every year, but you get most of them. You could cut back to 3 preseason games and play a rotating 8 conference teams. And while we're at it, make sure that Nebraska and Oklahoma play each other every year in the last game, just like Ohio State and Michigan. Now that Osborne is the AD, he needs to make this his first priority after hiring a football coach.

I could go for that. :thumbs

great point generally but please dear lord let OU win. I dont care where they are from i do not want MU playing for or winning a national title

If OU wins the Big 12 they won't be going for a national title. If Mizzou wins they will. Sorry, even though Missouri is not a favorite team, I will take a Big 12 team in the NC, over anyone else.

Why should we get rid of the title game? If you ask me the Pac10 and Big10 should man up and add a title game. Everyone else plays a championship game...why shouldnt they? It would be easier for a conference to add a championship game than everyone get rid of theirs. I think every conference should have a conference championship, atleast that would even everthing out. Its unfair that big10 and pac10 teams can now just sit and wait for everyone else to knock the crap out of eachother and then back themselves into a BCS game or NC. Tell the pac10 and big10 to stop playing 6 non-conference games 2-3 of which are 1-AA's and play a championship game and actually earn their rankings.

The problem is nobody in the big 12 listens to nebraska. Im pretty sure they really don't care either. Nebraska was the only team to vote against a title game during the big 12 formation. Also conferences must have 12 teams to have a conference title game so conferences like Pac-10 and Big 10 avoid this because they don't have enough teams. Every team plays 12 regular season games anyways. Hell i remember in 2002 season nebraska played 15 games(including bowl) while everybody played 12.

Really though it is time Nebraska ditched the Big 12 conference since we are never listen to anyways. Best fit would be the Big 10 conference. If we left the Big 12 conference it would also give Nebraska the opportunity to schedule Oklahoma every year as a non-conference game and restart the rivalry.

I think the other way around on this topic. I love having two divisions meet for a conference championship. I think that ALL conferences need to incorporate a championship game. My thoughts.

Finally someone with some common sense. If everyone had a championship game each conference would have an outright champion which in turn would make the final rankings a little easier to decide. The way it is now some conferences have co-champions........what???? Are we trying to not hurt peoples feelings by choosing a winner and a loser? That is about as homosexual as us having to share our NC in 97.

Why should we get rid of the title game? If you ask me the Pac10 and Big10 should man up and add a title game. Everyone else plays a championship game...why shouldnt they? It would be easier for a conference to add a championship game than everyone get rid of theirs. I think every conference should have a conference championship, atleast that would even everthing out. Its unfair that big10 and pac10 teams can now just sit and wait for everyone else to knock the crap out of eachother and then back themselves into a BCS game or NC. Tell the pac10 and big10 to stop playing 6 non-conference games 2-3 of which are 1-AA's and play a championship game and actually earn their rankings.

agree! :clap

Spitballing here, but would it work to have every conference have a title game, and then the winner of each title goes into a new playoff system? We don't need some 2 month system like in the pros, but if we had however many conferences represented by their champion in a playoff system, it would make a bit more sense than the BCS.

X

Spitballing here, but would it work to have every conference have a title game, and then the winner of each title goes into a new playoff system? We don't need some 2 month system like in the pros, but if we had however many conferences represented by their champion in a playoff system, it would make a bit more sense than the BCS.

X

It would make perfect sense and the NCAA would make even more $$$, but they are to stupid and ignorant to try it. Besides the Pac10 and Big10 would never go for it because they feel entitled to everthing.

Makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. :thumbs