Time To Ditch The Big 12 Title Game

I love conference title games. I think every conference should have one. This season, KU didn't play OU, UT, or TT. If they had beaten Missouri they would've been given the conference title without playing any of the top teams in the south. Without a CCG Missouri would have been given the conference title even though OU beat them. When every team in a conference doesn't play every other team, a CCG is a must.

Plus, it's more football, and it's usually pretty good football. Who wouldn't want that?

And I have to say - I'll be cheering my rear off for OU. Living in KC, there's no way I could handle Missouri in the BCS title game. The d******d factor is already off the charts around here. Suddenly everyone's been a lifelong MU fan, even though they don't know who their coach was before Pinkel, and they don't know who their qb was before Brad Smith.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

If we are ever going to have a playoff then the major conferences absolutely need to have a championship game. If its some kind of NCAA rule that you can't have a championship game if you don't have 12 teams then either you change the rule or the Big 10 (11) and the Pac 10 play each other on the 1st of Dec. to determine their representative in the playoffs. The playoffs run through Dec. and on New Years Day you play 4 Bowl games to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th place. Four Bowl games that actually have some meaning.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

i want a big 12 team playing for the NC except Mizzou. Anyone else fine but not mizzou

soo.. let's send Colorado to the NC instead.. ok? perfect :sarcasm

i wouldn't mind seeing missouri in the game.. when i went down there this year, i sat next to missouri fans.. former students that graduated w/n the past 2 years.. they were nothing but nice.. they talked with us the whole time and never started saying f#*k nebraska or throwing anything at us at all.. i would like to see mizzou there also because its a big 12 NORTH team.. and i do NOT want OSU there.. the do NOT deserve it.. but they'll get it if mizzou loses....

Spitballing here, but would it work to have every conference have a title game, and then the winner of each title goes into a new playoff system? We don't need some 2 month system like in the pros, but if we had however many conferences represented by their champion in a playoff system, it would make a bit more sense than the BCS.

X

We need something like that. I mean, I think that Hawai'i deserves a shot, but I couldn't say that any of the top teams should be bumped for them. They seem like they could be good, though it might be a function of a weak schedule-- though there is no rule that says a good team with a weak schedule is no longer a good team. How do we know? Oh yeah, some people vote on it.

I want conference championship games in conferences where the teams do not play everyone in their conference. So the Big 10 needs a conference title game but I do not feel it is neccesary in the Pac 10 because they all do play each other. The Big 10 just needs to find themselves a 12th team and divide into 2 divisions.

I agree that Big 12 conf championship should go bye-bye.

Either every conference has a championship game or no one has one.

I completely agree. The B12 championship game wouldn't be such a hurdle if everyone else had to get through it as well.

I don't think that having just conference champions in a playoff would be a great solution. There are some years where there are several really good teams in a particular conference and other conferences that are really weak. Conference Champs would be guaranteed to be in, but there would have to be some at-large bids as well.

i want a big 12 team playing for the NC except Mizzou. Anyone else fine but not mizzou

soo.. let's send Colorado to the NC instead.. ok? perfect :sarcasm

i wouldn't mind seeing missouri in the game.. when i went down there this year, i sat next to missouri fans.. former students that graduated w/n the past 2 years.. they were nothing but nice.. they talked with us the whole time and never started saying f#*k nebraska or throwing anything at us at all.. i would like to see mizzou there also because its a big 12 NORTH team.. and i do NOT want OSU there.. the do NOT deserve it.. but they'll get it if mizzou loses....

Well be prepared for West Virginia vs Ohio State in the NC.

Just to throw some fuel on the fire. In the SEC you have a team not playing in the championship game but sitting idle in the 4 spot in the BCS. They lost their spot in the title game to the 12th ranked team. Even in conferences where there IS a title game things can still happen (ie Nebraska in 2001)

I think if you ditched the championship game and made a rotating 9 game conference schedule then the champion should be decided in that time and be the conference representative.