Bo is the best candidate

Just of coulple of points to ponder..... I have pointed out that I'm not sure that I want either Bo or Turner, but will rally and support either if TO hires one.....

Bo concerns me because of his personality....yes, he is a "fire" guy and automatically some think that this is good (defensive fire)... I think he loses control of his temper easily.....not a good trait at all for a HC.... who needs to stay "within himself", just like the great QB's...... If you remember, Bo took a 15 yd. penalty during this "great" Alamo Bowl that we only won 17-3 over a meiocure MSU team...to take a 15 yd penalty in a close game is NOT SMART !!! He lost control at the end of KSU and called Snyder an a-hole on tv.....whether or not we all agree with the assessment, there are certain responsibilities of being a leader of young men.....CLASS !!!! the stuff NU has built it's rep. on... This is my concern with Bo...... furthermore, hell, I would look good if I had players like Dorsey at DE..... It is easy to look good with great "horses"...

Now, to look good with the players at Navy, Cinc., or WF....that's coaching !!!!! Tell me a place where Bo didn't begin with "great-top-notch" athletes and actually had to build them.....No place he has coached has had less than stellar athletes..... unlike Gill, Johnson, Kelley, Grobe

Turner Gill is MAC COY.... I know this doesn't mean a lot, but to take Buffalo to 4-5 wins is amazing... heard a report on 1620 yesterday with a beat writer who says Buffalo will compete for the conf. title next year.... most of his starters are freshman and sophomores, whom this writer said "are Big East caliber athletes".... Gill went into a sh!t hole and convicned these fairly decent athletes to come play for him...... It's not hard for Bo to bring guys to LSU, NU, OU.....

Remember, I am not sure I want either TG or Bo.....just throwing meaningless opinions out for thought.

Redtildead, your post is well thought out and you are strong in your opinion, so I wont bash on you.

"he has big time experience with big time schools." My thing about that particular view is... big time experience doing what? Defense? Yes, absolutely. But there are other specifics that only a head coach can gain as big time experience, like managing an entire game, special teams, offense, the whole coaching staff, the entire team, etc, etc.

Although I do not agree with some of the things you said, it's because I do consider all those things more importantly than a defensive coach who's been successfull at extremely talented schools as OU and LSU.

Just one example - He has never had to decide whether to kick a game tying field goal or go for it on fourth down with two minutes left of the clock. And own responsibility with his decision. Does he already know what plan A,B,C,D are and counter acting, or does he get to guess what to do while at NU and learn on the job? Now that does not cover all my points. It's one small fraction within a game only, that I believe where big time experience helps. Just my thoughts on it..

What is being said is that Turner has earned an honor for a major turn-around at a school with no history of success in football. This is a sign of how good a coach he is and can be. He knows how to motivate and teach his players, and this is also important.

Bo may well be a good coach. So would Turner, and so might Grobe, Kelly or Johnson.

Redtildead, your post is well thought out and you are strong in your opinion, so I wont bash on you.

"he has big time experience with big time schools." My thing about that particular view is... big time experience doing what? Defense? Yes, absolutely. But there are other specifics that only a head coach can gain as big time experience, like managing an entire game, special teams, offense, the whole coaching staff, the entire team, etc, etc.

Although I do not agree with some of the things you said, it's because I do consider all those things more importantly than a defensive coach who's been successfull at extremely talented schools as OU and LSU.

Just one example - He has never had to decide whether to kick a game tying field goal or go for it on fourth down with two minutes left of the clock. And own responsibility with his decision. Does he already know what plan A,B,C,D are and counter acting, or does he get to guess what to do while at NU and learn on the job? Now that does not cover all my points. It's one small fraction within a game only, that I believe where big time experience helps. Just my thoughts on it..

Very good points addison. I agree with you there are a lot of things a HC has to take into account such as game management, crucial decisions on whether to go on fourth or kick the field goal, etc. The reason I am so adiment on Bo's big time experience with NU, OU, LSU as well as his pro experience is the fact that I think these experiences weight far heavier under the bright lights of primetime on national television with national championships on the line. I just don't believe that these same in game situations are the same at Buffalo where I believe they only draw around maybe 10,000 to their home games. Don't get me wrong in game decisions that TG makes at Buffalo are still crucial I just don't think they carry the same wait as Bo's decisions, granted they are only on defense, but to me just the fact that he has had nothing but big league experience makes up for experience at low end schools and I am not just talking about TG either, it is the rest of the coaches supposedly in contention for the NU job. Just my thoughts as a arm chair QB/HC :)

Very good points addison. I agree with you there are a lot of things a HC has to take into account such as game management, crucial decisions on whether to go on fourth or kick the field goal, etc. The reason I am so adiment on Bo's big time experience with NU, OU, LSU as well as his pro experience is the fact that I think these experiences weight far heavier under the bright lights of primetime on national television with national championships on the line. I just don't believe that these same in game situations are the same at Buffalo where I believe they only draw around maybe 10,000 to their home games. Don't get me wrong in game decisions that TG makes at Buffalo are still crucial I just don't think they carry the same wait as Bo's decisions, granted they are only on defense, but to me just the fact that he has had nothing but big league experience makes up for experience at low end schools and I am not just talking about TG either, it is the rest of the coaches supposedly in contention for the NU job. Just my thoughts as a arm chair QB/HC :)

Its cool. I'm nowhere near a Pelini fan, but will support him if Dr. Tom says he's the man. I may not be thrilled, but I hope to get some type of curve to get adjusted to him.

Bottom line and the only thing people need to know about Bo Pelini...

He is not even being considered for the LSU job! Why? He doesn't have head coaching experiance, and big time programs don't take risks like hiring coaches with no experiance.

He is not even being considered for the LSU job! Why? He doesn't have head coaching experiance, and big time programs don't take risks like hiring coaches with no experiance.

There is currently no coaching vacancy at LSU, so NOBODY is being considered there.

Just so you know. :thumbs

There is currently no coaching vacancy at LSU, so NOBODY is being considered there.

Just so you know. :thumbs

By the experts in the media...you know what I mean. Take a look on the LSU message boards, none of their fans want Bo pelini, they're talking about guys that have won National Championships like Steve Spurrier. Our fans are the only ones dumb enough to have a unproven DC at the top of their list.

Redtildead, TrumanBD, junior4949

Unfortunately, you all missed my point. Perhaps I should have explained more thoroughly. I was being a bit sarcastic...

To imply (as Redtildead was in his original post) that Gill supporters only want him as the next head coach because he was a legendary quarterback is absolutely ridiculous. This was my point. MAC Coach of the Year may not be a huge deal, but it IS one of many rational reasons one might support Gill for the position. Not all Gill supporters are living in the past. Redtildead's point is completely unfounded.

I agree that Bo is the best candidate. Look, I know what Gill has done at Buffalo. He has done an outstanding job. But are we forgetting that Bo's defense at LSU has ranked top 10 and thats playing in a sub-pro confrense against the likes of Darren McFadden etc.

As far as Bo with an offense - how do you know he wont do great? I agree that he really has done nothing to prove he can coach an offense but we can get a solid OC and Bo will do fine.

Believe me.. I have read so much about TG and his awesomeness at Buffalo. But what about when the pressure is packed on and he is getting pressure to win double the amount of games in one year at NU then he is getting to win in 3 years at Buffalo?

Paul Johnson = Navy.. how much pressure is there?

Cincy coach = Cincy. How much pressure is there?

TG = Buffalo... no pressure there..

Would just like to see how these guys do with a pressure job.

If I remember right Nebraska HIRED an a coach with no Head coaching experience a couple of years after winning back to back National Championships and that turned out pretty well.

With thinking like that Okalahoma would not be playing for the Big 12 championship this week or have another National Championship to their credit.