If its Bo NU messed up

NU is gonna be kicking itself in a few years when Gill is at a major BCS school. I dont get how anyone could think Pelini is the better candidate.

I don't think this will be a problem and this is why: Tom Osborne is VERY good friends with Turner. If Tom didn't think Turner was right for the job, Turner would agree with him. Tom has been Turner's mentor for years and only has Turner's best interest at heart.

I for one would love to see Turner come back to NU either as the Head Coach or even possibly the new AD?

We'll just have to wait and see. My vote is for Dr. Tom. He hasn't failed us yet. :)

I dont see how you could think Gill is. Hes been a head coach for 1-2 years and is a former husker. Bo has proven he has the ability to get teams to play for him and at the beggining of the year was aid to be one of the top HC canidates. Stop complaing, youd complain abot Gill if he was hired. Get used to it Bo is our coach if you dont like it go root for Iowa State.

But Bo ISN'T our coach. I wish people would quit saying that until we hear for sure. It's just going to make folks look like idiots if it isn't true. It could very well BE Bo Pelini. In fact, I have to admit that I've been watching the Tenn-LSU game and I have found myself watching Bo's defense and thinking, 'Wow, if it really is him we're going to have one heckuv a defense next year.' and I'm for Gill!!! But it could very well turn out to be Turner Gill after all! Gill has also proven he can get kids to play for him. His performance at Buffalo has not only caught the attention of NU staff but also Washington State.

It could even be Brian Kelly or Jim Grobe or someone we haven't even thought about yet.

Dr. Tom will take care of this. We really don't have to worry about it. Perhaps what we DO need to worry about is our own attitudes. I've seen a very ugly side of people who call themselves 'Nebraska Husker fans' this year that I hope I don't ever see again!

To my knowledge Tom Osborne did not know Bo Pelini until they talked earlier this week. I think I read that Pelini did meet Osborne years ago, but they hadn't talked since and certainly were not buddies.

Osborne obviously knows football and wants what is best for NU. Maybe his loyalty toward Solich clouded his vision 10 years ago, but clearly Osborne was impressed with Pelini and has enough confidence in him that he's giving him the keys to the Big Red Machine.

If Osborne feels strongly enough to make this difficult decision, can't we all get behind Pelini and show our support?

As for Bo being a risk, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Bob Stoops a risk for OU?

TD Tennessee, did anyone catch the stat showing Bo's "D" giving up 37 points per game their last two games.

Dig deeper...how many of those points were in OT or given up by special teams? The numbers on the surface do not always reflect reality. Now, with that said, I have not looked at the numbers myself but suspect that is the case with some of those points.

Does defensive stats no longer count in OT? I would think if you had this great defense, that OT is the time to step it up not lay down.

what is this nonsense. it's like you people want to mold the facts to fit your opinions

fact: ot's artificially inflate scores for EVERYBODY

stop looking at half the picture. it's so rampant on this board that it isn't even funny

Im sure pelini is real sorry his defense hasnt given up an average of 2 yards and 0 points per game to please some of you people

Um, Bo's defense saved the day today...gave up only 343 yards, had 2 KEY int's, one for the winning TD.

Yeah, his defense sucks...with their best player at 75%, among other injuries...

Sheesh. Bo will do just fine. I love his fire and aggressiveness. Count on his coaching style on both sides of the ball to be like his boss (until tomorrow or Monday), Miles--aggressive.

One thing I believe we can all count on if it is true that Bo is the man...NU will almost always play hard, no matter the talent level.

I hope he can bring back that fire in the defense we used to have. With a decent defense this year we might have been able to win 9 games. After watching Okl/ Mo game it seems it all comes down to who has the best D.

Look, Okl owns the Big 12 now. Mizzo, Kan, Col all the South teams except Texas have no chance at winning the Big 12 title. Mo, Kan had a nice year thanks in part to Neb being so down. If the Huskers play like the Huskers of old than Mo and the rest of the North are playing for an Alamo, Holiday or lesser bowl. Like it or not, that's just the way it is. If Nebraska can't get back up to their old standards than the North is just someone to put in the Big 12 Title game for an Okl or Texas scrimmage to get ready for their bowl game 9 out of 10 years. Argue all you want, just look at the record.

GBR!!!

I don't discount Bo's fire and I think that is something the team desperately needs. My concern is that the fire he has is great for a DC, but will be harmful as a HC. Fire is good to a degree, but isn't useful in every situation. He hasn't shown me yet that he can recognize when the fire isn't necessary and turn it off.

I don't think any of the choices that have been talked about would be "bad" for Nebraska, I just think there was better choices out there than Bo. I think he can return NE to the top, I just worry at what cost.

i started to read all the posts, then just became too impatient with it all.. seriously, anyone is a risk.. like one of the guys at the beginning said.. we could bring in urban meyer and its honestly a risk.. not everyone can pan out everywhere.. and who are WE to second guess TO or any other "higher ups" as BC woulda called em? seriously, its not like we have the ability to second guess the authority and they obviously made the decision for the reasons that they did.. so don't sit back and bitch about it, and if you do.. you're not welcome back on the bandwagon whenever we return to greatness, whether that be next year or 20 years from now..

i started to read all the posts, then just became too impatient with it all.. seriously, anyone is a risk.. like one of the guys at the beginning said.. we could bring in urban meyer and its honestly a risk.. not everyone can pan out everywhere.. and who are WE to second guess TO or any other "higher ups" as BC woulda called em? seriously, its not like we have the ability to second guess the authority and they obviously made the decision for the reasons that they did.. so don't sit back and bitch about it, and if you do.. you're not welcome back on the bandwagon whenever we return to greatness, whether that be next year or 20 years from now..

Pellini could be good, could be bad. This says more about Osborne's management style than anything else. It appears that he tossed out proven HC's in favor of Pellini. Why? Perhaps Pellini was a "discount" hire, and was much cheaper than the others. Perhaps Osborne never had any intentions of hiring anyone else; maybe he was just doing what he agreed to do. It's hard to say. I do know this, though . . . as a congressman, he never told Bush "no." He knew who was calling the shots, and he did as he was told.

This stinks to high heaven. I hope that a good journalist takes this story and runs with it.

It just never ceases to amaze me how regardless of what name is brought up, there's always one or two idiots who've already thrown their hands up in the air and started crying. Of course they never give any real reasons why Bo or Turner or Kelly would be poor decisions. They've just got this feeling. Yeah, a baaad feeling about this.

Tom Osborne knows more about football than everyone on this board combined. As for his alleged 'bad call' with Frank Solich, may I remind you that he accomplished just about as much as Tom in his first 6 seasons, including a Heisman winner, a National Championship appearance, and a .75 winning percentage. I personally don't believe he would have stayed on for much longer if Pederson had done the smart thing and not fired him in 03, but we'll never know how things would have turned out in the long run with more experience and a better staff.

I cannot believe––I honestly can't––that people would question Tom on whatever decision he makes for the program, especially considering that even if hiring Solich was a bad move (which Tom couldn't have possibly known when he chose him), that's still only one instance of a so-called 'mistake.' That's not a pattern people, that's a freak occurence. This is a man who brought us 3 national titles, 25 bowl appearances, hired wonderful assistants throughout his years as coach, brought in and developed athletes who we respect and admire to this day, and now when he's made perfect decisions all along the way in this firing/hiring process, a few of you have to bitch.

Seriously, if you can't trust Tom Osborne to make the best decision possible, then there's something wrong with you. It may not turn out, but there is absolutely no way for Tom to know for sure, because every coach, no matter who he is or what he's done, is a risk. Not one of you, not a single one, could possibly even conceive of a series of circumstances in any alternate reality where you are in a better position to make this call than Tom. Personal preferences are fine. Reasons for and against coaches are fine. But when it comes down to who you're going to trust to make the decision, there's not another living person in the world who knows more about Nebraska football and winning than the man who's spearheading our search.

Now, rest easy. It's almost over.

X