Pelini May Coach LSU in NC Title Game

Wally

I don’t see much of a positive here, and I also don’t see the announcers spinning this in a positive light for Nebraska, so I think I’d prefer he doesn’t do this.

Let’s say Bo is on the sideline. If he’s a coach in the game, he won’t have been able to give them his full attention from now until then, so his game plan won’t be as good as it could be. If he DOES give them the attention he should, he won’t be doing his job here at Nebraska. If he’s not coaching and he’s just there as a guest/friend/observer, then I don’t see a problem whatsoever, as long as he hasn’t spent any time drawing up X’s and O’s for them.

If he’s there, what does he wear? LSU gear? I can think of about 1.5 million people who probably wouldn’t like that too much. Does he wear Husker gear? It’s a much better fashion statement, sure, but if I’m LSU Fan, I don’t want him on my sideline wearing gear from another team. I don’t see a “win” from a PR standpoint in either LSU or Husker gear on the sideline.

All things considered, I think there are far more bad things that can come out of this than good. I think he would do it for love of his players and with all good intentions, but I think it would not be taken well by too many people for it to be a good idea.

Bottom line, he does NOT yet have a signed contract with NU which still makes him an LSU employee.

If he defers signing a contract there should not be any NCAA violation and no reason he could not coach in the NC game.

I also agree with those who say this would boost recruiting. It will have some effect and likely a good one.

He can't recruit for Nebraska if he's not an employee.

Does he need to? Osborne can remain "interim" until the contract is signed and recruit. Everyone being recruited knows Bo (no pun intended) would be the eventual HC.

Ehh..... It's possible he doesn't "need to," but if I'm a recruit I sure as heck want to talk to the guy who's going to be responsible for my college career before making my decision. Any quality recruit has some level of contact with the HC at some point during the process, so yeah, I'd say he needs to.

Does he need to? Osborne can remain "interim" until the contract is signed and recruit. Everyone being recruited knows Bo (no pun intended) would be the eventual HC.

Ehh..... It's possible he doesn't "need to," but if I'm a recruit I sure as heck want to talk to the guy who's going to be responsible for my college career before making my decision. Any quality recruit has some level of contact with the HC at some point during the process, so yeah, I'd say he needs to.

Once Pelini was officially named the Head Coach, Osborne lost his Interim HC title which means he legally cannot recruit anymore.

Well, Sunday evening I was adamantly against Bo coaching the LSU defense in the NC game.

Today, my feelings have softened but I still think it is a bad idea. Just if he does, I think he needs to be very careful to respect Nebraska and not drop any balls here as NU has to be his first priority. That could be very difficult.

IMO, when TO and Pelini decided to make the press conference; there was less than a 5% chance that LSU would make the title game. Was LSU even put into the title game before the press conference? IMO, he should coach in that game. The D is what got them there. Pelini could coach for the next 10-20 years here at NU and not win a NC. It took TO 2 decades to win one. With the dead period coming up in recruiting and if Pelini gets his assistants here, he should have time to draw up and coach a game plan. I'm sure the players would love to have him on the sidelines. I also agree with the one who said it could turn out to be a 3 hour recruiting video to potential Husker recruits.

I'm sorry but if Pelini has been hired here I think he needs to focus on Nebraska now. I feel bad that he would have to miss out of the NC at LSU, but he'll still get a ring but it's his job here to start getting recruits. I suppose I would be ok with him coaching LSU as long as he's doing his recruiting and getting his staff together at Nebraska at the same time. But then the question is would LSU want him to coach if he was dealing with these other duties? I don't know if they would...

I dont see how LSU got in 2 the title game any ways and i dont wanna hear about the overtime crap they still lost 2 games and they barely beat tenn in the sec championship i just hope ohio state beats their ass becuzz their should be playoffs thats the only damn way u can crown a champion i knoe computers rate teams on how they score but they can NOT rate a team on how they play dedhoarse

Off-topic but, come on.. Ohio State is the most overrated team these past two years. They got lit up in the NC last year. They haven't played anyone this year, and they're in it again??

LSU with or without Pelini is going to send Ohio State crying to their momma's. The BCS is just ridiculous, and while (if there were a playoff system) Ohio State would have deserved to make it, they wouldn't have gotten out of the first round.

Off-topic but, come on.. Ohio State is the most overrated team these past two years. They got lit up in the NC last year. They haven't played anyone this year, and they're in it again??

LSU with or without Pelini is going to send Ohio State crying to their momma's. The BCS is just ridiculous, and while (if there were a playoff system) Ohio State would have deserved to make it, they wouldn't have gotten out of the first round.

True they is but i dont think LSU is gonna beat ohio state lol LSU has no offience their D has been keeping em in games all year long i just dont see ohio state getting beat down by LSU besides SEC teams are way overrated in my book

LEt's put a little "spin" this topic then..... I personally, as you have read, don't have a major probalem with him helping LSU...... He WILL make NU his 1st priority, I have no doubt about that....... druing the 3 week dead period, he might as well spend a little time to help LSU game plan a little..... He definately wouldn't be able to take on the role that he is "used" to , but he could, and should be able to help......and of course, if he is on the side-line calling the defense, then no question, he wears LSU gear.....shouldn't bother anyone !!!!! What stinkin' harm does that do....NONE.... the announcers will do more than make up for the fact that he is wearing purple........ and when he gets more gatorade baths and hugs, recruits will see that what he has told them in their living room is the TRUTH.....

Now to my spin.....If Bo was the main man all along, and LSU wouldn't have already known about the NC game, would TO have waited..... Hell, if they decided to wait until after the SEC game.....isn't the NC game a far cry more important !!!!! Would you rather have the entire country and NU know that Bo is OUR coach now, and still let him live out his "comittment" to his players at LSU.....or have another month of f'n rumorville, and wait for the announcement after the NC game?

During LSU's preparation time, he WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO MUCH HERE anyway..... what does this hurt....

Doesn't the man deserve the right to "finish" the job and be rewarded for a job well done? Personally, I think it would be great to say OUR DC just won a NC.......

I am sure, by being a board member for about 5 years, that if Bo decides to help LSU, we will have to endure another on-slaught of "haters" looking for a reason to complain......

Here is the biggest risk.

Suppose Ohio State is able to shred Bo's defense and he is coaching the game. And LSU loses. That would look really bad for Nebraska and the January recruiting run. I think it is better that he go out with the defense winning the game against Tennessee as his last LSU game.