Pelini's coaching staff

This appears to be the coaching staff Bo Pelini is in the midst of forming.

According to a source close to the situation, the defensive coaches are likely to be:

Mike Eckler (strength coach at LSU, played at Kansas State)

Marvin Sanders (former Husker, coached at NU in 2003 and also served as co-defensive coordinator at North Carolina)

Carl Pelini (D-line coach at Ohio for Frank Solich)

John Papuchis (a 29-year-old defensive intern at LSU in 2007)

And the offensive coaches:

Barney Cotton (former Husker, coached with Pelini in 2003 at NU, former Iowa State offensive coordinator)

Shawn Watson (NU's offensive coordinator in 2007)

Ted Gilmore (NU's receivers coach for last three years, recruiting coordinator)

Ron Brown (Coached NU's receivers for 17 years)

This leaves one more position to be filled. Hopefully an official announcement is soon coming.

Pelini's coaching staff

According to a source close to the situation, the defensive coaches are likely to be:

Marvin Sanders (former Husker, coached at NU in 2003 and also served as co-defensive coordinator at North Carolina)

Barney Cotton (former Husker, coached with Pelini in 2003 at NU, former Iowa State offensive coordinator)

This leaves one more position to be filled. Hopefully an official announcement is soon coming.

Whose the OC watson or cotton?

Pelini's coaching staff

Watson, Cotton will be a good OL coach, he's a better position coach than Coordinator.

Pelini's coaching staff

Watson, Cotton will be a good OL coach, he's a better position coach than Coordinator.

I would like that set up, Cotton has a in your face, smashmouth football attitude so he would be great OL coach and Watson can bring the finesse(sp) that the QB will need to get the job done. Nice balance.

Watson likes smash mouth, but he had to do what B.C. told him. Remember the 2002 blowout in Boulder? His offense smash-mouthed us to death. What you will see if probably a simplified, smash-mouth version of the W.C. offense. We will still see the passing game, but there will be less of it and more power running -- the Nebraska way. As for the spread/option, which some of you want, you may see a few wrinkles with it, but I doubt that would ever be our base offense. Nebraska is built on smash mouth, and the W.C. is an effective offense for smash mouth if you also want a sophisticated passing game.

Watson likes smash mouth, but he had to do what B.C. told him. Remember the 2002 blowout in Boulder? His offense smash-mouthed us to death. What you will see if probably a simplified, smash-mouth version of the W.C. offense. We will still see the passing game, but there will be less of it and more power running -- the Nebraska way. As for the spread/option, which some of you want, you may see a few wrinkles with it, but I doubt that would ever be our base offense. Nebraska is built on smash mouth, and the W.C. is an effective offense for smash mouth if you also want a sophisticated passing game.

Bolini gave that famous quote about running Urban Meyer's offense "only better," though.

I would hope there will be an announcement about it soon. I just want to know!

By my count they need two more...it's my guess that the strength coach will replace Dave Kennedy, thus leaving room for one more on the defensive side and a runningbacks coach.

:yeah

I think we can only have one more assistant...I seem to recall hearing yesterday on 1620 that we are limited to 10 coaches including the head coach.

I will agree Neb was built on running but what BC did show us is we can score points in a hurry if we want to.. I dont think going back to we will run it down your throut every game is the right choice.. I feel balance is key in todays game, maybe run the ball about 70% of the time one game but then have us turn it around an throw it maybe 74% of the time the next game.. Just dont want to see us getting into trouble when we fall behind in some games an then have to throw it the whole time like we did this season... Whatever offense we get should be a good one but thats just my opinion of what I would like to see...

Call me a buzz kill, non conformist or what, but I am not a HUGE fan of bringing back every coach (figure of speech) that was here in 2001! Remember folkes, that is why GOOD teams were SHUTTING US DOWN? We (Nebraska) couldn't recruit outside the state and we "fell behind the times" due to superior athletes, coaching trends (offense) and such. Like Cotton for instance....what the hell did he really accomplish as a coach here at Lincoln? Not knocking the guy but just questioning that hire is all...........I do understand Bo's devotion to people that he once coached with before, but sometimes that comes around and bites one in the butt! If ya know what I mean.

Bolini

Haha! Bolini! :clap

Oh yeah, I agree...This is a good staff.

I wonder how this will affect recruiting, as in....will we still see high profile recruits filter in or will it be like it was back with Solich where we had mainly solid three star prospects with a few fours sprinkled in there?

Bolini

Haha! Bolini! :clap

Oh yeah, I agree...This is a good staff.

I wonder how this will affect recruiting, as in....will we still see high profile recruits filter in or will it be like it was back with Solich where we had mainly solid three star prospects with a few fours sprinkled in there?

I for one don't get caught up in all the hype of stars when it comes to recruiting. I think that's just a way for these pay recruiting sites to grab more subscriptions anyways. Hell, look at KU. Go count the number of "recruiting" stars they had, or Missery for that matter. I am however, somewhat nervous about falling back into the "Football Recruiting 101 by Frank Solich" again.

Call me a buzz kill, non conformist or what, but I am not a HUGE fan of bringing back every coach (figure of speech) that was here in 2001! Remember folkes, that is why GOOD teams were SHUTTING US DOWN? We (Nebraska) couldn't recruit outside the state and we "fell behind the times" due to superior athletes, coaching trends (offense) and such. Like Cotton for instance....what the hell did he really accomplish as a coach here at Lincoln? Not knocking the guy but just questioning that hire is all...........I do understand Bo's devotion to people that he once coached with before, but sometimes that comes around and bites one in the butt! If ya know what I mean.

:yeah:yeah Better question to ask is will BO make a change if these guys dont work out?? I mean there is a time when you dont want to look like an idiot if things start falling apart, but can you be man enough to make a change if need be unlike what BC chose not to do... Just not sold on Cotton.. I guess I expected other assistants from LSU or some where else....