'09 or '10 game: Nebraska at Hawai'i (on hold)

10/17/2007

Steve Pederson was fired as athletic director at Nebraska on Monday.

Tom Osborne was named interim athletic director at Nebraska yesterday.

What does that have to do with the University of Hawai'i?

A future football game between the Cornhuskers and Warriors could be at stake, according to UH athletic director Herman Frazier.

"We were talking to (Pederson) about a game here in 2009 or '10," Frazier said. "They were about ready to come here. Now I have to call Dr. Tom (Osborne) and see if we can continue those discussions, but I don't know what the situation is like there now."

Frazier said he needs one more opponent to fill the 2009 UH football schedule and two more to fill the 2010 schedule.

"I hope they're still interested in coming here," Frazier said.

Frazier said he considers Pederson "a good friend," but also got to know Osborne when he was the football coach at Nebraska.

Pederson was fired by the school chancellor amid a series of poor performances by the Nebraska football team, including a 45-14 home loss to Oklahoma State last week.

"I don't know enough about the situation to comment," Frazier said.

Frazier added that he was close to signing Oklahoma State as an opponent for this season, but the Cowboys opted for a road game at Georgia.

Hawai'i last played Nebraska in 1982....

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...i710170427.html

I am not really wanting a game with Hawaii...yeah, it would be nice to play someone that is ranked...if they still are then. This game would never be picked up by the TV Networks, so the only ones to get to see the game would be those that could afford to go to the game if they could get the time off to do it. :bang

I have no problem with them coming here...btw, who ever decided it would be a good thing to have a football program in Hawaii? Can you imagine the travel budget they must have? Where does that money come from? There are a lot of starving children in Arkansas that could use the money better. :boxosoap

I have no problem with them coming here...btw, who ever decided it would be a good thing to have a football program in Hawaii? Can you imagine the travel budget they must have? Where does that money come from? There are a lot of starving children in Arkansas that could use the money better.

Well, I mean, Hawaii...exists. People live there. There's a University there. Why not have a football team? The money, I imagine, comes from the athletic budget. Just like at other schools.

I have no problem with them coming here...btw, who ever decided it would be a good thing to have a football program in Hawaii? Can you imagine the travel budget they must have? Where does that money come from? There are a lot of starving children in Arkansas that could use the money better. :boxosoap

This kind of attitude is what makes it extremely difficult for them to have a football program.....nobody ever wants to go there and forces Hawaii into raw deals to come to their schools. I feel bad for that university, they get shafted a lot.

edit again: hawaii uniforms ftw

Actually, I doubt any of you all want to make the trip to this game. You should really read up on the history of Hawaii fans before you get excited about making a trip down there. If you think Colorado fans are stupid, I would hate to know what the term would be for these guys.

Needless to say, they are BY FAR the most hated fan base in the entire WAC. I would say they are hated more, but considering they play no one of note, it's kinda hard to say. :P However, Alabama fans had encounters with them and they really have nothing nice to say about them.

Basically, if you go, be prepared to fight and protect yourself and your friends.

Huh.

cool.

Edit: Hey, didn't Hawaii used to be the RAINBOW warriors, and not just the warriors?

They used to be called the Hawaii Rainbows

i thought it was Rainbow Warriors.

regardless, it's hard for your team to be taken seriously if the word 'rainbow' is in any associated with your name.