'09 or '10 game: Nebraska at Hawai'i (on hold)

:):hellloooo:hellloooo:)

The Huskers have played in Hawaii before. Not sure but I think it was in the '70ies. What I do remember is that with all the fans who wanted to go to the game it turned out to be the largest "air lift" since the Berlin Air Lift of the '50ies. With Hawaii's new prominence and with the recruiting plusses a game like this brings I'm betting Dr. Tom makes this happen.

>>>T_O_B

:):corndance:corndance:)

For recruiting purposes, I think it would be a great idea. Nebraska used to have a solid Hawaii pipeline. Dominic Raiola and Toniu Fonoti come to mind.

It would be sweet if we could get some players out of that state again. Saint Louis school in Honolulu continually generates some of the best high school teams in the country.

Sadly, the Hawaii connection seemed to disappear under the unrelenting suckmachine that was the Pederson/Callahan administration.

:):hellloooo:hellloooo:)

The Huskers have played in Hawaii before. Not sure but I think it was in the '70ies. What I do remember is that with all the fans who wanted to go to the game it turned out to be the largest "air lift" since the Berlin Air Lift of the '50ies. With Hawaii's new prominence and with the recruiting plusses a game like this brings I'm betting Dr. Tom makes this happen.

>>>T_O_B

:):corndance:corndance:)

Actually, at the end of the '83 season, NU traveled to Hawaii and was treated rudely by the home town officiating. I believe NU was losing 10-0 at the half, but roared back in the second to win it 38-10. My mom let me stay up late to watch the first half. :)

For recruiting purposes, I think it would be a great idea. Nebraska used to have a solid Hawaii pipeline. Dominic Raiola and Toniu Fonoti come to mind.

Have we become this desperate to find players....? The cost of the trip alone makes it a joke to schedule them, especially if your doing it to find recruits that may or may not pan out. It is cheaper to fly the recruits to Nebraska and let them see our program and facilities.

And we shouldn't have to promise mainland recruits a trip to Hawaii to get them to come to Nebraska, if that is the reason they are coming, then it is for the wrong reasons.

The more I think about this proposition, the more I am against it. The average Nebraskan can't afford season tickets in Lincoln, let alone a trip to Hawaii for one game. This is a bad idea, and the money could be better used.

Wow, HuskerTrucker, who spit in your oatmeal this morning?

We aren't "desperate" to find players. Someone already said that a Hawaii high school traditionally is one of the best in the country. They've got players there. We won't have to play in Hawaii every other year to get them. Also, we wouldn't have to "guarantee" our other recruits a trip to Hawaii. Again, the article above does not say that we're going to play Hawaii every year. So why are you all worked up about it?

Actually, I doubt any of you all want to make the trip to this game. You should really read up on the history of Hawaii fans before you get excited about making a trip down there. If you think Colorado fans are stupid, I would hate to know what the term would be for these guys.

Needless to say, they are BY FAR the most hated fan base in the entire WAC. I would say they are hated more, but considering they play no one of note, it's kinda hard to say. :P However, Alabama fans had encounters with them and they really have nothing nice to say about them.

Basically, if you go, be prepared to fight and protect yourself and your friends.

:yeah My brother-in-law went to Hawaii for business earlier this year and was there over a weekend when they had a home game. He said he thought about going to the game but after walking through the tailgating area he would'nt have any part of it. He said it was the craziest thing he has ever seen, he said people were just being total a-hole drunks and he was there just as a neutral party.

We aren't "desperate" to find players. Someone already said that a Hawaii high school traditionally is one of the best in the country. They've got players there. We won't have to play in Hawaii every other year to get them. Also, we wouldn't have to "guarantee" our other recruits a trip to Hawaii. Again, the article above does not say that we're going to play Hawaii every year. So why are you all worked up about it?

I just think there are better and cheaper options. We can find decent competition over here on the mainland that is far more cheaper to schedule. And easier for the average Husker fan to go to the game if the so desire. I highly doubt that many Nebraskans will be heading to Hawaii to support the team...you would be lucky to fill a couple of sections of their stadium.

As far as television goes, Nebraska and Hawaii are not highly populated areas, I have a hard time believing that the Networks would want to carry this game, and there is no guarantee that Hawaii will maintain the status they now enjoy, even with their weak scheduling. I have faith that Nebraska will be better than we are now, but there is no guarantee of that with the scholarship limitations. This season proved out what limiting scholarships can do to even the best programs, there is parity now, just as the NCAA wished for.

This is probably the only team that I would be against signing a contract where they come here and we go there one time....mainly because of the cost of transportation, and secondly because this could be one game that the majority of Nebraskans would never get to see, since it may not be on TV for the reasons stated above. The reluctance of other top teams to play Hawaii is only proof that I am not the only one that thinks this way. Why not use the money for improvements at home, why do we want to spend that money to support the economy of Hawaii? I doubt they would have all that many fans coming to Nebraska. We need to schedule top teams that actually have a fan base that will travel with their team to Nebraska, and actually have a strength of schedule that will help Nebraska in the polls, we already play enough teams that are the nobodies of the NCAA. If we ever want to win another National Championship, we are going to have to have the top teams scheduled, not schedule someone that has never been a top team, that has 1 good season and finally gets into the top 20 for one season, and may never get there again (and had a weak schedule to get there to boot).

I just think there are better and cheaper options. We can find decent competition over here on the mainland that is far more cheaper to schedule. And easier for the average Husker fan to go to the game if the so desire. I highly doubt that many Nebraskans will be heading to Hawaii to support the team...you would be lucky to fill a couple of sections of their stadium.

As far as television goes, Nebraska and Hawaii are not highly populated areas, I have a hard time believing that the Networks would want to carry this game, and there is no guarantee that Hawaii will maintain the status they now enjoy, even with their weak scheduling. I have faith that Nebraska will be better than we are now, but there is no guarantee of that with the scholarship limitations. This season proved out what limiting scholarships can do to even the best programs, there is parity now, just as the NCAA wished for.

This is probably the only team that I would be against signing a contract where they come here and we go there one time....mainly because of the cost of transportation, and secondly because this could be one game that the majority of Nebraskans would never get to see, since it may not be on TV for the reasons stated above. The reluctance of other top teams to play Hawaii is only proof that I am not the only one that thinks this way. Why not use the money for improvements at home, why do we want to spend that money to support the economy of Hawaii? I doubt they would have all that many fans coming to Nebraska. We need to schedule top teams that actually have a fan base that will travel with their team to Nebraska, and actually have a strength of schedule that will help Nebraska in the polls, we already play enough teams that are the nobodies of the NCAA. If we ever want to win another National Championship, we are going to have to have the top teams scheduled, not schedule someone that has never been a top team, that has 1 good season and finally gets into the top 20 for one season, and may never get there again (and had a weak schedule to get there to boot).

I disagree with your views. Teams from main conferences have played Hawaii before, and it hasn't been a crippling financial blow to the program. I played for Northwestern University (Big Ten) and we played at Hawaii with no financial problems. I find it hard to believe that our university (UNL) can only afford a trip to Hawaii by cutting resources from other areas, when other schools with MUCH smaller athletic budgets (like Northwestern) can afford to make the trip with no issues.

As to the comment regarding Hawaii's status as a top team, I think it's obvious that they would beat many major conference schools this year. It's not like they have just had one good year; even the teams in years prior (Tommy Chang as QB) would have been a challenging match-up for all but the top 5 programs.

I just think that a Hawaii game is a great idea, and that the advantages of playing there (see my earlier post) far outweigh the financial costs, especially when Nebraska's athletic budget is extremely large.

I don't actually think the University will lose money playing Hawaii. The game will be on TV, ESPN will probably pick up tha game since it will be on so late. A lot of Hawaii's games are on TV because they are the only game still going. The question is are you going to stay up that late to watch it. Ane the stadium will be sold out. Besides I live in California and I have been to Hawaii a lot. There are a lot of husker fans here and it really isn't that expensive for Californians to go to Hawaii. The last time I went my plane ticket was 280 and the hotel was only 110 a night. Four of us went to surf and see Pearl Jam open up for U2 at the last minute and we still found those prices. As far as food and everything it is like anywhere in the world. If you stick to the tourist areas the food and stuff will be more expensive. Everything is a little more expensive but it isn't that bad. I will be going for sure if the game is scheduled.

I can believe it about the fans being rude, Honolulu isn't one of the nicest cities: drugs, gangs and crime are actually kind of high. The education system is bad. Also, a lot of people talk about how some native Hawaiins are still upset about the way they have been treated by the U.S. So there is still some bad blood there. As many times as I have been there I have never had a problem, but I know a lot of people that have lived there or are from there and they say white people can have problems. However, the only problems I hear people have are certain surf spots are for Locals only. If you surf there without permission you get chased out of the water. I don't know if it is because they are still upset or if they are mad that the beaches and surf spots are over crowded so they save the best ones for themselves. I would guess that it is the overcrowding that gets them upset.

Play this from Brudda IZ as you read my reply..

PL-uL2M3xvM

Didn't Bob Devaney schedule them to help us in recruiting? (sort of a 2nd Bowl Game)?

I remember having to hear the game as a child, late at night and having to call the local radio station to find out if we won or not because I fell asleep.

Sounds like some of us have gotten a little spoiled, expecting to see us on TV every week...So what if we don't travel as well to Hawaii (Although I seriously doubt it).

It might cut in to the number of fans that go to a Bowl game, but in reality..Probably a third of the fans (at the Fiesta Bowl at least) are transplanted Huskers like me...(A 20 mile drive).

Hawaii is probably the only team I'd consider scheduling all the games away to...(not Home and Home).

Not able to find the scores of past games with them, but as long as June is there, I'd expect a tough game with them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting tidbits <wikikipedia

They have two different helmets one for Home and another for away games...

1923 - A rainbow appears over Moiliili Field after Hawaii upsets Oregon State, 7-0. Local reporters begin calling UH athletic teams the "Rainbows."

1955 - A year after suffering a 50-0 blowout loss to Nebraska in Honolulu, the Rainbows go up to Lincoln the following season and upset the Huskers 6-0. The win is considered one of the school's all-time biggest upsets.

1961 - The UH Board of Athletic Control votes to abolish the football program due to a lack of finances. The program would return to intercollegiate competition the following year behind the urgings of new athletics director Young Suk Ko.

1974 - Hawaii becomes an NCAA Division I member. The team's new nickname becomes the "Rainbow Warriors." They play their final year at Honolulu Stadium.

2001 - Hawaii changes its nickname from "Rainbow Warriors" to simply "Warriors." Wide receiver Ashley Lelie becomes the highest draft pick in program history as the Denver Broncos select him with the 19th pick in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft.