If it is the guy from Florida, is he really that good as a coach? When was the last time Florida had a good running back?

DeShawn Wynn was good. He averaged 4.7 and 4.8 ypc in 2005 and 2006. One thing I like about Florida's running game is they always mix in a lot of runners instead of just one feature back. Wynn was the starter in 06 and still only averaged about 10 carries per game.

I definitely think one thing Nebraska should do is get away from this one feature back idea. Don't get me wrong, I believe Lucky is our best running back, but as deep as we are at the position we should be spreading the carries around a little more.

I also wonder what role Stan Drayton has played in coaching Percy Harvin. He's technically a wide receiver but he gets so many rushing attempts in that system it stands to reason that Drayton has played some role in developing him.

That's is exactly what you don't want to happen is to keep changing Rb therefore no one is getting in a rhythm. If you keep putting certain players in for certain plays it a huge help to prepare defenses for certain situations of what kind of play will come. Nothing more irritating then watching a Rb having what looks like a good day then to be replaced because the other backs need their carries.

I believe if you do it correctly, the result is to keep the defense off guard and never sure which play is coming. When no matter who you have in the backfield is capable of running the ball, the defense always has to respect the run. It has the same effect as a QB that can throw and run.

Also, I agree that you don't bench someone who is having a great day. If a certain RB is running all over a team then you keep feeding him. But how often does that happen? It's usually much more hit and miss, and it helps to be able to give three or four different style runners different looks to keep the defense off balance. I think when we did rotate Lucky and Castille this season it was very effective. There's no denying it's worked for Florida over the past three years. It worked for USC with Reggie Bush and LenDale White, as well as with the huge collection of backs they have now.

Granted, every now and then a Ron Dayne or Edgerrin James comes along that is durable and dominant enough to handle all the carries. But otherwise I like using a platoon of RBs

I would think it would be very tough to get a great RB recruited if they saw multiple rotations and only roughly 10 carries a game. It's pretty hard for them to make a statement and get to the NFL gaining only 45-55 yards per game.

Has it hurt USC's recruiting at all? They've probably been the best RB recruiting team in the country over the past 5-10 years and when is the last time they had one primary back that got 90% of the carries? Recruits, at least the ones I want, care as much or more about winning than they do about whether they receive 40% or 90% of the carries.

If it is the guy from Florida, is he really that good as a coach? When was the last time Florida had a good running back?

DeShawn Wynn was good. He averaged 4.7 and 4.8 ypc in 2005 and 2006. One thing I like about Florida's running game is they always mix in a lot of runners instead of just one feature back. Wynn was the starter in 06 and still only averaged about 10 carries per game.

I definitely think one thing Nebraska should do is get away from this one feature back idea. Don't get me wrong, I believe Lucky is our best running back, but as deep as we are at the position we should be spreading the carries around a little more.

I also wonder what role Stan Drayton has played in coaching Percy Harvin. He's technically a wide receiver but he gets so many rushing attempts in that system it stands to reason that Drayton has played some role in developing him.

That's is exactly what you don't want to happen is to keep changing Rb therefore no one is getting in a rhythm. If you keep putting certain players in for certain plays it a huge help to prepare defenses for certain situations of what kind of play will come. Nothing more irritating then watching a Rb having what looks like a good day then to be replaced because the other backs need their carries.

I believe if you do it correctly, the result is to keep the defense off guard and never sure which play is coming. When no matter who you have in the backfield is capable of running the ball, the defense always has to respect the run. It has the same effect as a QB that can throw and run.

Also, I agree that you don't bench someone who is having a great day. If a certain RB is running all over a team then you keep feeding him. But how often does that happen? It's usually much more hit and miss, and it helps to be able to give three or four different style runners different looks to keep the defense off balance. I think when we did rotate Lucky and Castille this season it was very effective. There's no denying it's worked for Florida over the past three years. It worked for USC with Reggie Bush and LenDale White, as well as with the huge collection of backs they have now.

Granted, every now and then a Ron Dayne or Edgerrin James comes along that is durable and dominant enough to handle all the carries. But otherwise I like using a platoon of RBs

The problem is that you get into tendencys when your going to run outside the tackle you play a certain player then when the run is geared for up the middle you play the other running back. The same is said for exchanging QB'S it's hurt more times then it's ever helped.

You say it worked for USC, but the most crucial play during that year, Reggie Bush was not even on the field and they lost the game.

If you ask any good RB they will say it more detrimental then helpful during a game. Well have to agree to disagree on this topic.

The problem is that you get into tendencys when your going to run outside the tackle you play a certain player then when the run is geared for up the middle you play the other running back. The same is said for exchanging QB'S it's hurt more times then it's ever helped.

You say it worked for USC, but the most crucial play during that year, Reggie Bush was not even on the field and they lost the game.

If you ask any good RB they will say it more detrimental then helpful during a game. Well have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Also having multiple backs opens up the use to throw out 2 backs, say in this case Lucky and Castille and then you can do so much from that it's almost ridiculous. Drop Lucky out as a receiver, pitch it either way, use Castille as a lead blocker, run with either of them many differenct ways, etc. Not to mention using multiple backs keeps them all fresh and we'd be able to keep pounding hard at defenses even into the fourth quarter.

Also having multiple backs opens up the use to throw out 2 backs, say in this case Lucky and Castille and then you can do so much from that it's almost ridiculous. Drop Lucky out as a receiver, pitch it either way, use Castille as a lead blocker, run with either of them many differenct ways, etc. Not to mention using multiple backs keeps them all fresh and we'd be able to keep pounding hard at defenses even into the fourth quarter.

Fresh for what the playoffs?

funny, cally never lined our guys up that way.

funny, cally never lined our guys up that way.

I actually remember in the Nevada game where they put Castille in at FB and Lucky at RB and ran FB traps and RB iso's and dives.

I would think it would be very tough to get a great RB recruited if they saw multiple rotations and only roughly 10 carries a game. It's pretty hard for them to make a statement and get to the NFL gaining only 45-55 yards per game.

Has it hurt USC's recruiting at all? They've probably been the best RB recruiting team in the country over the past 5-10 years and when is the last time they had one primary back that got 90% of the carries? Recruits, at least the ones I want, care as much or more about winning than they do about whether they receive 40% or 90% of the carries.

If memory serves me correctly, they had at least one leave the team because the "stable" was too full.

If memory serves me correctly, they had at least one leave the team because the "stable" was too full.

True, but it doesn't seem to have hurt them very much.