Interesting Numbers...

An argument in another thread caught my eye the other day regarding recruiting. Someone sarcastically said "Why don't we build a fence around Nebraska" when people were comparing highly ranked, out of state recruits vs lower ranked recruits who grew up understanding the tradition of Nebraska football. I did a little digging into old rosters to see what I could find and I came up with this...for what it's worth

1970’s

98 wins – 20 loses – 4 ties - % of roster from NE, IA or SD – 49%

1980’s

103 wins – 20 loses – 0 ties - % of roster from NE, IA or SD – 60%

1990’s

108 wins – 16 loses – 1 tie -% of roster from NE, IA or SD – 48%

2000’s

65 wins – 26 loses – 0 ties - % of roster from NE, IA or SD – 36%

(I counted Iowa and South Dakota in the percentages because they are practically Nebraska anyway...only skewed the numbers a percentage point regardless).

I think there is a real valid point to be made here about recruiting in your own backyard and letting the five stars go to the highest bidders...

Great point. I believe this is why Barry Switzer when interviewed on Sports Nightly commented that whoever the new coach will be (interview was before changes) needs to close the borders down. We've had some outstanding talents come right here from within the state. In fact, we've had so many that the list is almost endless. I've gotta think with Omaha and Lincoln's populations growing that we should have as much or more talent in those areas than we did 10-20 years ago.

Not really, too many variables that aren't accounted for.

Correlation does not prove causality.

Well...when you also figure that...

2 of the 3 Cornhusker Heismann trophy winners are native Nebraskans

2 of the 3 Cornhusker Walter Camp trophy winners are native Nebraskans

2 of the 4 Cornhusker Lombardi award winners are native Nebraskans

4 of the 7 Cornhusker Outland Trophy winners are native Nebraskans

The only Davey O'Brien award winner is a native Nebraskan

The only Butkus award winner is a native Nebraskan...okay, he's actually from Iowa but close enough...

it still presents a pretty good argument to shop locally....

What an absurd notion, that "% of roster" has anything to do with wins or losses. <_<

Post "% of starters" and we can discuss something of significance.

GAWD! :bang

Okay...didn't have time to do the entire decades so just took the most recent year and compared it to a couple of...lets say, more successful years

1972 (12 games, Players starting 8 or more games) 50%

1994 (12 games, Players starting 8 or more games) 43%

2007 (12 games, Players starting 8 or more games) 26%

That includes players hailing from the aforementioned NE, IA and SD (also known as Nebraska's Back Yard...much to ISU's dismay)

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

Having players on the team who are "Nebraska kids" (NE, IA, SD) adds a lot to the attitude of the team. They have grown up following the tradition and know what it means to be part of Big RED. Their passion and enthusiasm is passed on to those who come from elsewhere. This is the intangible that they bring to Husker football and it can't be rated by stars next to their name in a recruiting report.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez