How far behind is NU?

HANC

Cy........ without having give out too much personal info. , are you originally from southwest Iowa.... I know Frain is from Treynor and he still resides and his sons still compete or have competed for Treynor.... I am a SWI grad in '87, so Frain was just a little bit before my HS time, yet close enough that I vividly remember him in HS and his career at NU......in fact, when I was at UNL, the 1st time I took my future wife to her 1st Husker game, Frain caught 2 touchdown passes......

Wish you could of been a Husker.....

i have a past friend that was from missouri now living in omaha, and i sure he is living on hog heaven at this time in his life. he was a missouri grad,,,i,d hate to talk to him now...

well, i still think it boils down to recruiting , bring in the correct type players....callahann had a good first year, but the next 3 or 4 years were just average in recruiting top preps... or maybe he just went after the wrong type .

if i remember at oakland, callahan left there with no respect from his players,,if you cannot get respect, they will not give it all.

Cy........ without having give out too much personal info. , are you originally from southwest Iowa.... I know Frain is from Treynor and he still resides and his sons still compete or have competed for Treynor.... I am a SWI grad in '87, so Frain was just a little bit before my HS time, yet close enough that I vividly remember him in HS and his career at NU......in fact, when I was at UNL, the 1st time I took my future wife to her 1st Husker game, Frain caught 2 touchdown passes......

Wish you could of been a Husker.....

Born and raised in SW Iowa...those Treynor football and basketball teams of the late 70's - early 80's were nasty...Had to been something in the water around there cuz I thought I was a big guy but everybody there seemed to be about 5 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than I was...even the kid's mothers were bigger than I was...

I did see in the paper this fall that one of Frain's boys had made some All-Iowa football team. He's lucky all I have is girls or I'd have had to sent my boy down to kick his boy's ass.... <_<

How far behind is NU?

Allow me to revise--

I'm moving KU from 1-2 years ahead to 2-3 years ahead of NU. Their bowl performance proves (to me) that they are no "one year wonder." I think they have turned a corner at KU.

About 2-3 years behind, OU, TX, MU. 1-2 years behind CU, KU, TT, OSU.

On par or ahead of the rest.

But opinions vary.

GO BO!!

Wow........... I am the world's biggest NU fan (as we all are), and I can't believe what I am about to say....but after watching Missouri play all season, they are soooo much better than NU right now, that it makes me sick.... We will find out how good KU is tomorrow night..........

Missouri looked very good, albeit, vs a "pretty good" SEC team going through a coaching change, but I saw Pinkel adjust, athletes perform and they looked good...I would have liked to seen them play USC in the Rose.... (which is why the snobbish Rose bowl needs to forget the Big10 - PAC 10 crap)........

Is Missouri that far ahead of us, or did they just have a great year.......

They are still fairly young, and yesterday sure didn't hurt their recruiting either...

What does NU have to do to catch up?

After the Oklahoma game you should ask how far behind is the Big 12 to other top ten teams? After all the team that handled Missery 2 times with ease just got run over by a better team.

Do you think Sooner fans are hoping/praying Mike Stoops falls on his a$$ next year at Arizona so they can get him back? Venebles D got lit up like a Christmas tree last night. As much as I like Bob Stoops and think he's a great coach, I just don't understand why he has so much trouble in the bowl games. Have they even won a bowl game since the NC game in 2000? They had a month to prepare for the spread. Mizzou runs the spread. I realize Daniels isn't White, but is West Virginia this much better and faster than Mizzou? Slaton was on the sideline for the better part of the game. I was embarrassed even watching that disaster last night and I'm not a huge Sooner fan.

some of you guys have to realize that, the sooner team you saw last night was missing 4 defensive starters (including all of their linebackers) and they were playing a team that would have been in the NC if they beat one team. if OU has their starters in, then the game would have likely been within 7 points. and i also believe that they were missing an offensive starter but im not sure. i also think that a healthy mizzou like the one we saw in the cotton bowl would have hung with WVU if not beaten them.

what i am trying to say is that we are not as far behind as many of you are thinking (based off of the OU WVU game).

Look at our talent level and then tell me we are way behind. You really cant say that without at least thinking in the back of your mind that you are wrong. can you?

You do realize that OU, KU, Mizzou, USC, and Georgia would have all been in the NC game if they beat one team. WV made OU's D look slow. Florida State was missing like 35 players for their bowl game against Kentucky who btw beat LSU who is in the NC game. They made the game respectable and took only a 7 point loss despite losing so many players.

Wow........... I am the world's biggest NU fan (as we all are), and I can't believe what I am about to say....but after watching Missouri play all season, they are soooo much better than NU right now, that it makes me sick.... We will find out how good KU is tomorrow night..........

Missouri looked very good, albeit, vs a "pretty good" SEC team going through a coaching change, but I saw Pinkel adjust, athletes perform and they looked good...I would have liked to seen them play USC in the Rose.... (which is why the snobbish Rose bowl needs to forget the Big10 - PAC 10 crap)........

They are still fairly young, and yesterday sure didn't hurt their recruiting either...

After the Oklahoma game you should ask how far behind is the Big 12 to other top ten teams? After all the team that handled Missery 2 times with ease just got run over by a better team.

Do you think Sooner fans are hoping/praying Mike Stoops falls on his a$$ next year at Arizona so they can get him back? Venebles D got lit up like a Christmas tree last night. As much as I like Bob Stoops and think he's a great coach, I just don't understand why he has so much trouble in the bowl games. Have they even won a bowl game since the NC game in 2000? They had a month to prepare for the spread. Mizzou runs the spread. I realize Daniels isn't White, but is West Virginia this much better and faster than Mizzou? Slaton was on the sideline for the better part of the game. I was embarrassed even watching that disaster last night and I'm not a huge Sooner fan.

some of you guys have to realize that, the sooner team you saw last night was missing 4 defensive starters (including all of their linebackers) and they were playing a team that would have been in the NC if they beat one team. if OU has their starters in, then the game would have likely been within 7 points. and i also believe that they were missing an offensive starter but im not sure. i also think that a healthy mizzou like the one we saw in the cotton bowl would have hung with WVU if not beaten them.

what i am trying to say is that we are not as far behind as many of you are thinking (based off of the OU WVU game).

Look at our talent level and then tell me we are way behind. You really cant say that without at least thinking in the back of your mind that you are wrong. can you?

You do realize that OU, KU, Mizzou, USC, and Georgia would have all been in the NC game if they beat one team. WV made OU's D look slow. Florida State was missing like 35 players for their bowl game against Kentucky who btw beat LSU who is in the NC game. They made the game respectable and took only a 7 point loss despite losing so many players.

If Nebraska can get any resemblance of a defense that should be good for one or two more wins next year.

I was glad to finally come on here and see some good football talk. Tigerboard is in a complete meltdown because KU won. The thing I think I have noticed about recruting this year is all of the stars can be deceiving. I think you have to recruit the right players for your system and player development is also important. Pinkel seems to have finally turned the corner, now we will see how long he can sustain it. I am optimistic about next years as we have 16 of 22 starters returning (unless More or Coffman go pro, which is unlikely). I give Kansas props for their win last night, but I am still not completely sold. It will be interesting to see how they do next year with a tougher schedule.

I have no doubt that Nebraska has some great athletes. I wonder how quickly Pelini will be able to get things turned around. Player development may take more than just the off season, but I think it will be easier to right the ship at NU than it was at KU or Mizzou. You have more recent success and overall a more storied tradition. I think the gap in facilities has been narrowed, but Nebraska still has an advantage their with recruits, and certainly the game day atmosphere in Lincoln game in and game out is superior to Columbia or Lawrence. My goal as a Mizzou fan is to see us get to the point where we have 60k-65k in attendance every game, no matter the opponent. The one advantage I see with Mizzou in all of this is that the attention span of these young kids in high school is such that they are more impressed with recent success. I also firmly believe that it has to be a little easier to get athletes to come to USC, Florida, ect than it is to get them to come to Lincoln, Nebraska. Mizzou has a small edge here with two major metropolitan areas in the state to recruit from, but the resuretion of your walk on program should somewhat negate that, and I also think that athletes that come to Nebraska and Mizzou may be more willing to work hard than some of the prima donnas who go to USC or Florida even if the athetes at those schools may have better raw talent.

Sorry for the long rant!

10, 9, 8 , 7, 6 ............we honestly have no clue how this team will stack up next season. but i can tell you this, it will take 2-3 years to catch up to the top big 12 teams, any thoughts otherwise are for dreamers. we simply do not have the talent on hand at this time.

get real folks, get it once and for all, Pelini has a lot of work to do here. there is little or no base play skill on defense coming back, these kids might as well all be freshman as far as developed and coached skill levels are concerned as coz didn't teach them sh#t. it will all be uphill slow for the defense.

the offense has it a little better, but there is work for Watson there too, but the good news is there will be no clownahan standing in the way.

Congratulations! You made 1620's Unsportsmanlike Conduct's Message Board Poster of the Day!

http://www.1620thezone.com/episode_downloa...ntentId=1263204 :)

I think both Missouri and Kansas will be about the same next year. If Nebraska can play like they did two years ago and forget this years nightmare, they will be in the thick of the competition. I think we are almost as good as Missouri and Kansas despite our terrible play this year mostly because Bo CAN and WILL have the defense playing more ferociously which is the most important ingredient we need.

I think there's quite a few Husker fans who are delusional about our Huskers. They still think that we are a TOP 10 TEAM, when we are from it and have been for quite some time. They also don't believe that the teams from the ol' Big 8 that were always...and I do mean ALWAYS killed by the Huskers from the 60's until about 2000. We just became so accustomed to killing the conference teams like MO, KU, KSU, ISU, that we have a tough time REALLY believing that we could ever lost to them. Yes, we became arrogant. And I still that it is still there.

Unfortunately, there is no entitlement for Nebraska to be a top 10 or even top 20 team anymore. We are just average to slightly above avg nowadays. We have to make major strides to be a consistent power again.

It starts in Spring. I hope the 1's play the 1's in the Spring game so we can really see what we have. I hate watching 1's playing the 2nd or 3rd team or whatever the heck Calahan did.