How far behind is NU?

HANC

10, 9, 8 , 7, 6 ............we honestly have no clue how this team will stack up next season. but i can tell you this, it will take 2-3 years to catch up to the top big 12 teams, any thoughts otherwise are for dreamers. we simply do not have the talent on hand at this time.

get real folks, get it once and for all, Pelini has a lot of work to do here. there is little or no base play skill on defense coming back, these kids might as well all be freshman as far as developed and coached skill levels are concerned as coz didn't teach them sh#t. it will all be uphill slow for the defense.

the offense has it a little better, but there is work for Watson there too, but the good news is there will be no clownahan standing in the way.

i honestly dont understand why anyone thinks that we are 3-4 years away from being a contender. as someone above mentioned we did play in the cotton bowl just a year ago. in my opinion, theoretically of course, if ganz had started all year long we would have won another game or two, texas inculded, even with the D playing as bad as it did. i really like that we have young LBs starting next year so that pelini can coach them up and teach them proper techniques, instead of getting the guys that were taught by by cosgrove and co. i honestly think we can at least compete next year and possibly win the north the year after, and i truly believe that i would feel the same way if i was not an NU fan.

our O is fine and even if we average 40 points per game (not unrealistic) as long as the D gets to be ranked roughly 50 or better we will win most games.

i understand that people dont want to be let down by a bad year, and that is fine, but honestly if you look at everything that could very potentially happen, we should be a decent team possibly 8-10 wins and i think it will be closer to 10, but probably 9. :power

Maybe a little too positive.

10, 9, 8 , 7, 6 ............we honestly have no clue how this team will stack up next season. but i can tell you this, it will take 2-3 years to catch up to the top big 12 teams, any thoughts otherwise are for dreamers. we simply do not have the talent on hand at this time.

get real folks, get it once and for all, Pelini has a lot of work to do here. there is little or no base play skill on defense coming back, these kids might as well all be freshman as far as developed and coached skill levels are concerned as coz didn't teach them sh#t. it will all be uphill slow for the defense.

the offense has it a little better, but there is work for Watson there too, but the good news is there will be no clownahan standing in the way.

Maybe a little too negative.

Bottom line.....August 2008 cannot come soon enough.

Nebraska is behind...but not that far. However, I won't judge Bo until he has 4 years of HIS recruits coming in, this one don't count, since the recruiting was pretty much over before he was announced.

Anyone that thinks that the Huskers will rebound in one or two years needs to let up on the drugs...it is going to take some time to build this defense back up to what it was. I think we will be respectable, but that is about it.

Nebraska is behind...but not that far. However, I won't judge Bo until he has 4 years of HIS recruits coming in, this one don't count, since the recruiting was pretty much over before he was announced.

Anyone that thinks that the Huskers will rebound in one or two years needs to let up on the drugs...it is going to take some time to build this defense back up to what it was. I think we will be respectable, but that is about it.

Then what happened in 2003? Luck?

55th in 2002 (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2002/Internet/ranking_summary/2002000000463.HTML)

11th in 2003 (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2003/Internet/ranking_summary/2003000000463.HTML)

56th in 2004 (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2004/Internet/ranking_summary/2004000000463.HTML)

Not really. How many of the teams that went through a coaching change this year have actually won their bowl?

West Vagina is handling OU while in the midst of a coaching change.

you mean the Asian thing?... I thought that was only a myth.

Good question, how far behind Mizzou are we.

Offensively I think were on par. Were a little short on talent and experience at TE and WR, but overall I think were in good shape.

Defensively, we have little talent or depth to seriously compete for a Big 12 Championship. I hope I’m way off but with the lack of proven talent/depth and the time needed for Bo and company to build up the defense I think were 3-4 years out before we can be seriously considered a contender in the Big 12

I disagree with NU being offensively on par with Missouri. Our offense right now is decent to good --- but is behind OU, Texas, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Kansas. Our defense is behind everyone in the conference except Iowa State and Baylor --- and about the same as K State.

Overall NU bests only Baylor and ISU and, perhaps Kansas State. We are #9 or #10 in the conference.

NU lacks conditioning, lacks overall team speed, lacks overall team strength, and lags behind the rest of the conference in intensity and effort on the field. Hopefully the new staff can correct all that.

As for predictions of being competitive for the B12 North in the foreseeable future? I can't see it yet --- could be years, who knows. But for next year, I'd be surprised if NU is not #4 in the B12 North. We'll be better, almost have to be --- but, passing up the three ahead of us is not likely.

Not passing judgment one way or another, just making an ironic observation ;)

Man, last year the way some of those enamored with Callahan were hearing it from those who weren't quite so sure about Callahan...about how they had settled for mediocrity...

...and now we're talking 7-5...

Here's hoping for the best....I don't think I'd be happy with 7-5 though, that'd be very underwhelming.

Wow........... I am the world's biggest NU fan (as we all are), and I can't believe what I am about to say....but after watching Missouri play all season, they are soooo much better than NU right now, that it makes me sick.... We will find out how good KU is tomorrow night..........

Missouri looked very good, albeit, vs a "pretty good" SEC team going through a coaching change, but I saw Pinkel adjust, athletes perform and they looked good...I would have liked to seen them play USC in the Rose.... (which is why the snobbish Rose bowl needs to forget the Big10 - PAC 10 crap)........

Is Missouri that far ahead of us, or did they just have a great year.......

They are still fairly young, and yesterday sure didn't hurt their recruiting either...

What does NU have to do to catch up?

After the Oklahoma game you should ask how far behind is the Big 12 to other top ten teams? After all the team that handled Missery 2 times with ease just got run over by a better team.

Man, last year the way some of those enamored with Callahan were hearing it from those who weren't quite so sure about Callahan...about how they had settled for mediocrity...

Here's hoping for the best....I don't think I'd be happy with 7-5 though, that'd be very underwhelming.

:yeah

I'm not as high on our Offense as some of you..The faster we get away from yesteryear's WCO, the faster we'll make up some distance..Although this time..We'll need to work with the players we have..not force square pegs into round holes like the prev. staff did.

The Defense has proven (see above post from Overland Park Husker) to be more better at fast improvement.

Sorta like compairing one-celled critters like Amoeba at adapting to global warming to the rest of us multi-celled animals.

Defenses can be adapted to each coming week's opponent (Probably why they usually are ahead of the Offense during the Spring Game)...You mainly need a nasty attitude and a simple enough plan to make your assignments while on auto-pilot so you can rely more on athletic ability.

Offenses need more time to jell during the season, and changing offenses should take longer than a couple of seasons due to the specialization involved. (Pass Blockers vs. Run Blockers..teaching your Split Ends to block downfield..Getting an Option QB after 4 years of restricting QB's to pass 8-12yds. a pop and trying not to trip over the grass.

I'm not sure we should bring back the option, totally..But it was fun to see what WV could do with some of it against OU tonight.

Wow........... I am the world's biggest NU fan (as we all are), and I can't believe what I am about to say....but after watching Missouri play all season, they are soooo much better than NU right now, that it makes me sick.... We will find out how good KU is tomorrow night..........

Missouri looked very good, albeit, vs a "pretty good" SEC team going through a coaching change, but I saw Pinkel adjust, athletes perform and they looked good...I would have liked to seen them play USC in the Rose.... (which is why the snobbish Rose bowl needs to forget the Big10 - PAC 10 crap)........

Is Missouri that far ahead of us, or did they just have a great year.......

They are still fairly young, and yesterday sure didn't hurt their recruiting either...

What does NU have to do to catch up?

After the Oklahoma game you should ask how far behind is the Big 12 to other top ten teams? After all the team that handled Missery 2 times with ease just got run over by a better team.

Good point Red, watching these teams that have the speed and talent to run this spread is like watching a TO offense of the 90's.

It has nothing to do with settling or not. It is simple reality irrespective of perspective. NU will be very, very fortunate to go 7 - 5 next year. It is possible, but it is th highest level of performance any rational fan could expect from this squad.

I disagree with NU being offensively on par with Missouri. Our offense right now is decent to good --- but is behind OU, Texas, Texas Tech, Missouri, and Kansas. Our defense is behind everyone in the conference except Iowa State and Baylor --- and about the same as K State.

You might not have noticed what with the stars in your eyes and all....but ISU's defense was ranked so much higher last year than Nebraska's D that there was really no comparison...like 46th for ISU to...what...90th for the Huskers?

Take off the rose-colored glasses and face reality. There's lots of work that needs to be done here.

Our offense is pretty bad. The D last year simply gave up. The offense could not overcome a single penalty on any drive. That is not a good offense that is a really bad offense.

Please don't tell me how many yards they put up, don't tell me how many points they put up. Tell me what their third down conversion was. That's a far better indicator of their performance. Through out most of the year they had to put up big numbers in the 4th just to get back into games. IMO Bo will have the Defense playing at their best. Offensively I'm not sure we have the coaches to get things rolling.

My biggest concern over all is the realtive physical strength of the team. It just appeared to me that the offensive and defensive lines were out muscled most of the year.