How far behind is NU?

HANC

Wow........... I am the world's biggest NU fan (as we all are), and I can't believe what I am about to say....but after watching Missouri play all season, they are soooo much better than NU right now, that it makes me sick.... We will find out how good KU is tomorrow night..........

Missouri looked very good, albeit, vs a "pretty good" SEC team going through a coaching change, but I saw Pinkel adjust, athletes perform and they looked good...I would have liked to seen them play USC in the Rose.... (which is why the snobbish Rose bowl needs to forget the Big10 - PAC 10 crap)........

Is Missouri that far ahead of us, or did they just have a great year.......

They are still fairly young, and yesterday sure didn't hurt their recruiting either...

What does NU have to do to catch up?

Actually I think we have talent HANC. It's unproven of course, but I think we have had terrrible coaching and poor conditioning. If these new coaches can develope these existing players, maybe we aren't that far behind. I could be wrong and maybe I am being too hopeful, but I think the shelf is far from empty.

Wow........... I am the world's biggest NU fan (as we all are), and I can't believe what I am about to say....but after watching Missouri play all season, they are soooo much better than NU right now, that it makes me sick.... We will find out how good KU is tomorrow night..........

Missouri looked very good, albeit, vs a "pretty good" SEC team going through a coaching change, but I saw Pinkel adjust, athletes perform and they looked good...I would have liked to seen them play USC in the Rose.... (which is why the snobbish Rose bowl needs to forget the Big10 - PAC 10 crap)........

They are still fairly young, and yesterday sure didn't hurt their recruiting either...

I didn't watch the game, but I heard that Daniels didn't really look that good. Mizzou won with the running game. If you watch, a lot of the teams winning are ones with a running game. I realize TT came from behind and won with their fun'n gun, but most teams are winning with the ground attack.

In terms of athletes, I think NU is just fine. In order to have success next year, NU is going to have to pound the rock and control the clock. The best defense is to keep them off the field and well rested. Also, our front 4 are going to have to pressure the QB like Georgia's did against Hawaii. I really think with the defensive emphasis we have on the coaching staff that we will see a lot more of this. Right now, my biggest concern going into 2008 is the LB crew along with the DB crew because we lose so many players there.

Talent for talent, Mizzou and Kansas are not ahead of us. We just haven't done a very good job of player development the last 4 years. I don't know whether or not we can catch up in the off season either. However, I do think within a couple of years we will be back. Going into next year, I think one of the biggest surprises especially in the North will be Colorado. They are incredibly young.

I didn't watch the game, but I heard that Daniels didn't really look that good. Mizzou won with the running game. If you watch, a lot of the teams winning are ones with a running game. I realize TT came from behind and won with their fun'n gun, but most teams are winning with the ground attack.

In terms of athletes, I think NU is just fine. In order to have success next year, NU is going to have to pound the rock and control the clock. The best defense is to keep them off the field and well rested. Also, our front 4 are going to have to pressure the QB like Georgia's did against Hawaii. I really think with the defensive emphasis we have on the coaching staff that we will see a lot more of this. Right now, my biggest concern going into 2008 is the LB crew along with the DB crew because we lose so many players there.

Talent for talent, Mizzou and Kansas are not ahead of us. We just haven't done a very good job of player development the last 4 years. I don't know whether or not we can catch up in the off season either. However, I do think within a couple of years we will be back. Going into next year, I think one of the biggest surprises especially in the North will be Colorado. They are incredibly young.

Chase did not have his best game. I'm of the opinion that when you're off for a month, the passing game suffers as timing is a little off.

Also, Arkansas thought of Mizzou as a passing team, and consequently had 8-9 players back, clogging passing lanes. So they ran the ball. Tony Temple was spectaular with 281 yards - the second best in college bowl history - and 4 TD's. And the Mizzou defense played their best game of the year. All in all, a statement to the BCS powers-that-be.

Any of you Huskers thinking about an Arkansas team that only scored 7 points against Mizzou, but put up 50 against Pelini's defense at LSU??

Chase did not have his best game. I'm of the opinion that when you're off for a month, the passing game suffers as timing is a little off.

Also, Arkansas thought of Mizzou as a passing team, and consequently had 8-9 players back, clogging passing lanes. So they ran the ball. Tony Temple was spectaular with 281 yards - the second best in college bowl history - and 4 TD's. And the Mizzou defense played their best game of the year. All in all, a statement to the BCS powers-that-be.

Any of you Huskers thinking about an Arkansas team that only scored 7 points against Mizzou, but put up 50 against Pelini's defense at LSU??

Not really. How many of the teams that went through a coaching change this year have actually won their bowl?

Teams without head coaches at the games can be hard to read. Every team that did not have the head coach at the bowl game they had all season as lost this year.

MU put on a damned good show though. This should also be another point that recruiting rankings dont mean all that much. MU wailed on teams that have better recruiting rankings year in and year out than they do this season.

Not really. They are two separate games. You cannot compare. A team's mental mood and health can be different Saturday to Saturday. Sometimes you are more up for a game than another. Missouri played more inspired defense than they ever have, and on that particular Saturday, LSU didn't. It happens.

Teams without head coaches at the games can be hard to read. Every team that did not have the head coach at the bowl game they had all season as lost this year.

MU put on a damned good show though. This should also be another point that recruiting rankings dont mean all that much. MU wailed on teams that have better recruiting rankings year in and year out than they do this season.

They didn't all lose if you count Carr at Michigan (of course though he was on the sideline), but yeah their record is pretty poor. It will be very interesting to see if West Virginia can muster up any enthusiasm playing OU. Another thing about Arkansas is they weren't even sure if their star player was going to get to even play in the game. They had a lot of distractions.

Ark went through coaching changes and then the rumors of McFadden Hummer Gate thats a lot stuff to keep your mind off of the game.

If you thought Missery was scary just remember that Oklahoma treated them like they were still the Missery of the Big Eight years.

Oklahoma showed Mizzou what happens when you don't have a D. Georgia did the same thing to Hawaii. If Pinkel ever wants to be taken seriously, he's going to have to get a much better defense.

On a side note, it is a sham that KU got into a BCS bowl while Mizzou did not. Another strike against the BCS selection committee if you as me.

Uh....

No.

How far behind is NU?

ABout 2-3 years behind, OU, TX, MU. 1-2 years behind CU, KU, TT, OSU.

On par or ahead of the rest.

But opinions vary.

GO BO!!

Good question, how far behind Mizzou are we.

Offensively I think were on par. Were a little short on talent and experience at TE and WR, but overall I think were in good shape.

Defensively, we have little talent or depth to seriously compete for a Big 12 Championship. I hope I’m way off but with the lack of proven talent/depth and the time needed for Bo and company to build up the defense I think were 3-4 years out before we can be seriously considered a contender in the Big 12

Good question, how far behind Mizzou are we.

Offensively I think were on par. Were a little short on talent and experience at TE and WR, but overall I think were in good shape.

Defensively, we have little talent or depth to seriously compete for a Big 12 Championship. I hope I’m way off but with the lack of proven talent/depth and the time needed for Bo and company to build up the defense I think were 3-4 years out before we can be seriously considered a contender in the Big 12

i honestly dont understand why anyone thinks that we are 3-4 years away from being a contender. as someone above mentioned we did play in the cotton bowl just a year ago. in my opinion, theoretically of course, if ganz had started all year long we would have won another game or two, texas inculded, even with the D playing as bad as it did. i really like that we have young LBs starting next year so that pelini can coach them up and teach them proper techniques, instead of getting the guys that were taught by by cosgrove and co. i honestly think we can at least compete next year and possibly win the north the year after, and i truly believe that i would feel the same way if i was not an NU fan.

our O is fine and even if we average 40 points per game (not unrealistic) as long as the D gets to be ranked roughly 50 or better we will win most games.

i understand that people dont want to be let down by a bad year, and that is fine, but honestly if you look at everything that could very potentially happen, we should be a decent team possibly 8-10 wins and i think it will be closer to 10, but probably 9. :power